D&D General Toril must be a Super Earth.

Oofta

Legend
If it were a super-Earth, there would be way to much gravity, but wait!

Actually, it might be interesting to think of how the Underdark factors into Toril's overall mass as a planet.

I did think of that, but the crust only accounts for 1% of the earth's mass. Of course that doesn't have to be the same on Toril.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I did think of that, but the crust only accounts for 1% of the earth's mass. Of course that doesn't have to be the same on Toril.
Exactly, I have always though it was weird how the Underdark functions. I suspect that, on Toril, the ratio would be the same, because there are still many volcanoes and regular areas of geothermal activity.

It might make a small difference, but probably not significant enough to change gravitational factor.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
In Spelljammer’s Realmspace supplements it was classified as a size E planet. Size E had diameters from 6400 - 16k km. Earth is something like 12.7k km in diameter.

Part of the difference is the water surface of Toril which is only 60% of the planet vs. Earths 75% coverage. That’s a lot more land above water to play with even if they’re similarly sized.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Nah, not buying it. According to the WotC website, Faerun is 9.5M sq. mi. Going by that picture, that looks to be about a 1/3 of the area of the supercontinent, which would make it about 28-30M sq. mi. Eurasia + Africa is in the same ballpark at 33M sq. mi.

I'm not buying that Maztica + southern continent + islands so grossly exceeds the 24.8M sq. mi. of the Americas + Australia + Antarctica, enough to justify saying Toril has double the surface area of Earth..

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Nah, not buying it. According to the WotC website, Faerun is 9.5M sq. mi. Going by that picture, that looks to be about a 1/3 of the area of the supercontinent, which would make it about 28-30M sq. mi. Eurasia + Africa is in the same ballpark at 33M sq. mi.

I'm not buying that Maztica + southern continent + islands so grossly exceeds the 24.8M sq. mi. of the Americas + Australia + Antarctica, enough to justify saying Toril has double the surface area of Earth..
Hmm... cool, thanks for the information. I had no idea such things could be found so easily.

Oofta

Legend
I wonder too if some of the issue is the projection style they use for the maps? Have they ever published a more accurate globe style map?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Edit: And let's be honest, it has a rotation and revolution period identical to Earth,
Those things don’t really indicate size, though. Revolution period is a function of the mass of the parent object, mass of the orbiting object, and the distance between the two objects. Rotation period is a function of circumference and rotational speed. Mars has a rotation period only 37 minutes longer that Earth’s, and it’s about half the size, where Venus’ rotational period is over a hindered times the length of Earths, and it’s 2/3 the size.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Those things don’t really indicate size, though. Revolution period is a function of the mass of the parent object, mass of the orbiting object, and the distance between the two objects. Rotation period is a function of circumference and rotational speed. Mars has a rotation period only 37 minutes longer that Earth’s, and it’s about half the size, where Venus’ rotational period is over a hindered times the length of Earths, and it’s 2/3 the size.
I know, but when the creator picks a rotation and revolution exactly the same as Earth's, its not really likely he also intended the planet to be twice Earth's size. The setting is fairly obviously intended to be a parallel Earth, which is fairly common for fantasy settings.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I wonder too if some of the issue is the projection style they use for the maps? Have they ever published a more accurate globe style map?

Not official ones that I've seen, but these are from the Wiki:

DHGtjFL.jpg

odhIr9I.jpg

EDIT: couple more

b4504cdb4a6d9db4260456d6624ccad5.gif

Also someone took the FR Cartography wiki page and created a Google Earth Map

Bringing Toril to Google Earth

Last edited:

Remove ads