D&D General Toril must be a Super Earth.

Harzel

Adventurer
Those things don’t really indicate size, though. Revolution period is a function of the mass of the parent object, mass of the orbiting object, and the distance between the two objects. Rotation period is a function of circumference and rotational speed. Mars has a rotation period only 37 minutes longer that Earth’s, and it’s about half the size, where Venus’ rotational period is over a hindered times the length of Earths, and it’s 2/3 the size.

I don't think it invalidates your point (and in addition it's nit-picky), but by usual definitions I don't think circumference enters into the relationship between rotation period and rotation speed - period (time per rotation) and speed (rotations per unit time) are just inverses of each other. Possibly I misinterpreted what you said.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don't think it invalidates your point (and in addition it's nit-picky), but by usual definitions I don't think circumference enters into the relationship between rotation period and rotation speed - period (time per rotation) and speed (rotations per unit time) are just inverses of each other. Possibly I misinterpreted what you said.
Let me try to explain myself better. Earth’s circumference is roughly 40,075 kilometers. A point on Earth’s surface at the equator covers that distance in 23 hours and 56 minutes, meaning it is traveling at around about 1656 kilometers per hour. Mars’s circumference is roughly 21,344 (a little over half the size of Earth), but it’s rotational period is actually longer than Earths by close to 40 minutes. A point on Mars’s surface at the equator is therefore traveling a little over half the distance that our point on Earth is, in a little over the same amount of time. Therefore, it is spinning much slower. 868.22 kilometers per hour to be precise, a little over half the speed.

If Mars were the size of Earth but still spun at the same speed, its day would be over twice as long as Earth’s. If it was the same size but spun as fast as earth did, it’s day would be a quarter the length of Earth’s.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I thought it was well known the Toril was bigger than Earth (like Canon well-known), the large size does go a long way to explain how so many sapient humanoids and mega-predators could have evolved independently on one planet

Coroc

Hero
Totally true. I'm mostly just poking fun at these settings mostly being fantasy European medieval, which means that a lot of that wilderness should be miles upon miles of farmlands with several little villages (albeit not all necessarily anything we would recognize as such today) coming by every few miles. It should take days to get anywhere, but there should be a lot more people and civilization along the way than I usually see presented. All usable land should basically be claimed and settled to the extent that threats of magical evil allow.
Actually your thought on how medieval e.g. Europe looked might be a bit off.
It was rather miles of dense forest with hollow paths, then some villages and farmland when you come closer to some bigger town. There was certainly much less farmland than nowadays, population was much smaller.
Normally the next market (= a village which had market rights) was about half a day by foot or so away, so if you departed very early you could go sell / buy cattle and arrive back home in the evening.
It was pitch black in the forests on a moonless nights, nobody wanted to travel at night.

Horwath

Legend
Not sure how accurate this is:
View attachment 116552
it looks right by size, but I think it's too much north. Most of Faerun would be very cold and Shinning South would be very moderate, unless ever warmer vesrion of Gulf stream goes around it shouther and western coast.

I would say that Southern part of Shinning south should touch the equator or be just little above it.

We have to remember the world of Mystara was hollow and even there was a spin-off setting there. Maybe Toril has got also a hollow space like Julie Verne's travel to the centre of the earth (version with dinosaurs).

jasper

Rotten DM
Bing has wagon trains going between 10 to 25 miles a day but that is the average which includes rest days.
It took 5 months to travel from Memphis to La about 1,793 miles but it only took 5 weeks to travel from New York City to Memphis 5 weeks. 1095 miles so 31 miles a day. So either roads and friendly races made travel easier, or you have more random encounters once you cross the great muddy.

Last edited:

Remove ads