D&D General Toril must be a Super Earth.

Coroc

Hero
Let me try to explain myself better. Earth’s circumference is roughly 40,075 kilometers. A point on Earth’s surface at the equator covers that distance in 23 hours and 56 minutes, meaning it is traveling at around about 1656 kilometers per hour. Mars’s circumference is roughly 21,344 (a little over half the size of Earth), but it’s rotational period is actually longer than Earths by close to 40 minutes. A point on Mars’s surface at the equator is therefore traveling a little over half the distance that our point on Earth is, in a little over the same amount of time. Therefore, it is spinning much slower. 868.22 kilometers per hour to be precise, a little over half the speed.

If Mars were the size of Earth but still spun at the same speed, its day would be over twice as long as Earth’s. If it was the same size but spun as fast as earth did, it’s day would be a quarter the length of Earth’s.

Yeah but that is only the velocity vector of a point on the surface, which says nothing about the day length.

Since you do not notice this velocity vector because it does not affect your own relative velocity, in other words everything around you moves along with you on this vector it is less useful to describe the planetary environment.

This does effect things like gravity though, the faster some planet spins the lower the gravity because the
centrifugal force vector opposes the gravitational force vector.

Also the mass of the planet of course determines the gravitational force. On the moon it is only about 1/8 of earth for this your body only weighs 10 kg if it weighs 80 on earth. So you can jump incredible wide and high.

Coroc

Hero
Of course we don't need a homebrew map. @Salthorae already provided cannon evidence it is a class E planet similar to earth and @TwoSix provided evidence of the land area suggesting it is not a super earth. Of course, you could just ask Ed now that he is posting monthly articles on this site.

Who proves now that toril is in reality flat and we are all wrong?
And at which armory were do we get tinfoil helmets in that case?

:)

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Doesn't look that big. Superimpose Faerun onto Western USA.

I did the math once, Athkatla to Neverwinter is roughly the distance between Los Angeles and Seattle (give or take around 50 miles). If you actually smoosh all of Faerun into North America, Europe, and Asia it more or less fits.

gyor

Legend
Of course we don't need a homebrew map. @Salthorae already provided cannon evidence it is a class E planet similar to earth and @TwoSix provided evidence of the land area suggesting it is not a super earth. Of course, you could just ask Ed now that he is posting monthly articles on this site.

Class E includes the lower end of Super Earths, Earth has 12000km of diameter roughly, a class E can be as high as 16000km in diameter, which is low end of Super Earth territory. And Toril got it's class E status BEFORE the Spellplague and Sundering changed the Planets dimensions, Abeir traded continents back and forther and AO straight up added more wilderness making Faerun larger during the Sundering, that is canon as odd as it sounds.

gyor

Legend
I did the math once, Athkatla to Neverwinter is roughly the distance between Los Angeles and Seattle (give or take around 50 miles). If you actually smoosh all of Faerun into North America, Europe, and Asia it more or less fits.

You mean it takes 3 earth continients to fill the same space as Faerun alone? And Faerun is only the second largest continent on Toril, Kara Tur is like twice as big or close.

gyor

Legend
Interestingly enough neither Toril nor Abeir or even Glyth are the largest planets in Realmspace. Coliar is an inhabited gas giant, filled with floating islands and air. Elminister has a huge spherical fortress there. It's inhabitants are mainly Aacrokocra, Lizardfolk, and Dragons.

dave2008

Legend
Class E includes the lower end of Super Earths, Earth has 12000km of diameter roughly, a class E can be as high as 16000km in diameter, which is low end of Super Earth territory.
The definition of what makes a planet a super-earth is not set, but it seams to me the intent of the class-E was to be earth-like, not super-earth. Though to be honest, I have no idea why the definition even matters for a fantasy world, or why this is a thread, or why I am participating in it!

Remove ads