• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Toronto Gamers! (Or Ontario Gamers) Introduce Yourself

A2Z

Explorer
I live in Windsor. There's about three people gaming here so I mostly play in Detroit and once in awhile in London now.

IceBear

Explorer
Taren Seeker said:
Hmmm, don't think I'll be making Conthulu. I'm not interested in a lot of the stuff going on there. Plus, I'm broke. :(

Grimmcon: www.grimmcon.com

There's all kinds of gaming going on at this one, RPGA stuff and more. I'll be DMing most of the Living City modules. Should be fun.

Nick

Could you send some info to thaleric@yahoo.com on your Living City stuff and/or home campaign? I tend to hit Sci-Fi World at least once a month so I don't know if that's in the area of your "northern Toronto" :)

I don't think I'll be able to go to anywhere outside of the GTA though for the conventions.

IceBear

zyzzyr

First Post
Hey all,

Glad to among so many fellow Toronto gamers. I'm located near Islington subway station. Been gaming for 15 years now.

IceBear: I've been going to SciFiWorld for a good 5 years or so. The "buffalo chicken wrap" is my "usual" there. I've bought *all* my D&D stuff (about $1k+ worth I think) there. Though Amazon.ca's new pricing is sorely tempting (30% off!).

I only wish they'd start carrying Reaper Dark Heaven, and also give larger discounts for volume orders.

Steve Conan Trustrum - Hey, I'm a freelancer too (well, I try to pretend to be one).

Re: conventions ... are these things worth attending? I've heard bad things about the conventions - that is, there's not much to do there - and also bad things about the Living Greyhawk campaigns.

I should probably join the RPGA now - I've been putting it off too long.

Cheers,

zyzzyr

IceBear

Explorer
hehehe - Mothership Combo for me - best burgers in Toronto :)

Yeah, I've been going there since 1994. I think I've spent enough money there to send John's kids to college a couple of times :)

IceBear

Taren Seeker

First Post
While I'm not a huge LG fan, it's a little more active in Toronto at the moment since there are more recently-released scenarios available.

In fact, there will be a second Weekend in Ket in Toronto in November, where the next 3 regional scenarios will be released.

I know that there have been a number of bad stories about the Living campaigns, but it does a few things very well: it expands your network of players, and at least in my case, can sharpen both your playing and DMing skills. It's a unique challenge to take a 4 hour module and breath life into it for a disparate group who is often not familiar with each other or you. It's also a challenge to get your character concept across to a group in just a few hours of play. Some of the best tactical and RP players in the RPGA are in Toronto. However, we're not all great, there are some real pieces of work that show up as well. ;) You can't let it scare you off however, I have had far more good experiences than bad in the last 3 years.

I highly recommend giving it a shot. The LG ruleset can be a bit wonky, but you can at least see what it's like in a con atmosphere. I'll talk to the coordinators about setting up a "newbie" booth, where someone can be available to help you get ready for your first game. I have a feeling that I might get volunteered to man such a booth.

As I said earlier, I prefer LC. It's closer to a core rule experience but there's been a shortage in modules for the last couple of months. Also, the amount of press LG has been getting in the last year has eroded the LC fanbase.

You can get the necessary documents at:

www.living-greyhawk.com

and

www.livingcity.organizedplay.com

The Greyhawk site has been partially shut down for remodeling but all of the files are available. You can also check out the official site at WotC but it's out of date.

Anybody who is interested in learning more or needs some help figuring things out can drop me an email at stosic(at)idirect.ca.

Icebear: I'm actually not really in North Toronto, but more east, around Lawrence and Don Mills. I don't think we're looking for people for our homegame right now but I'll keep you in mind. Take a look at the living stuff and drop me a line.

BTW, to join the RPGA is now free. All you need is a card which most RPGA numbers have been supplied with. I have a bunch right now that I could use. Any RPGA member should be able to hook you up. LC is a little different now but you don't need to join until you hit 2nd level.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
London in the house!

/me waves claws in the air like he just don't care.

We've got so much D&D, we're exporting it to Windsor. Word to my brother A-to the-Z.

Y'all be coveting our mad gaming skillz.

Jabba Von Hutt

First Post
Greetings,
I live in Mississauga and work downtown (What a Commute!), playing since 1980. I recently went to my second Con ever, the Weekend at Ket LG campaign. I had a great time and I found the mods interesting and GMs fun to game with. The tables I was at were predominantly filled with foreigners mostly Americans (Geoff, Furondy, Keoland...) but a few Quebecers (Tusmit). It would be nice to see more Ketites (Ontario and Eastern Canada) at the next one in TO. If anybody hasn't tried it, they should give it a go. I was most pleasantly surprised.

See Ya There,
Al

Fiery James

First Post
FDP!

Of course, most of the FDP crew is in the GTA.

Jason and Mike are both in Toronto, Todd and I are in Brampton, and Scott is in London!

Claudio spent a lot of time at the Eaton Centre this summer, so I'll give him an honourable mention. :)

- James

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads