Tournament of Champions CR .5 to 5 (Archive)

Greybar

No Trouble at All
There is a gasp from the Neutral Good observers at the suddenness of the result. It seems quite appropriate that the luck of being the first to act would give Chaotic Neutral a one-move win, and bodes ill for anyone facing a fast moving opponent.

Infiniti2000

First Post
*wipes forehead covered in sweat -- phew*

Good thing Gansk didn't realize that very young fang dragons don't really have a Strength score of 35 and improved bull rush.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Come to think of it, this is a tactic that for once won't normally favor the dragons (at least at low CR) since they're smallish for the same CR.

I do think this will become a more and more troublesome technique as we move up in CR, however. The normal arena doesn't have this problem since each combatant at least gets a move to place themselves further within the arena.

While I applaud the wit of using the tactic first, I suggest a rule change to prevent it from taking away the fun of actually fighting in combat in the higher CRs. Either that, or we're all just going to have to adapt for it in choosing our champions for size or multiple legs or such.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Well, it also requires a very high movement rate if the opponents are spread, but I just realized that it creates a really unfair advantage for NG v LG|CG and NE v LE|CE. In those cases, one opponent can't even be bullrushed out of the arena.

Gansk

Explorer
There are a couple of unique factors that CN used to its advantage.

1) The dragon had a speed of 60. For diametrically opposed opponents, a creature needs an even greater speed.

2) The opponent was lined up on the West side. Most opponents have walls behind them and can't be pushed out.

3) CN won initiative. It's risky to choose a champion based on this tactic alone and then lose initiative.

All in all, I think the tactic adds to the strategy and should not be banned.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
True, though consider that speeds of 100 will quickly become standard for the dragons.

I hadn't noticed/remembered that people were given starting positions based on alignment.

Gansk

Explorer
Greybar said:
True, though consider that speeds of 100 will quickly become standard for the dragons.

Dragons have plenty of other things going for them besides fast movement. Any champion that is chosen should factor dragon opponents into their strategy.

Greybar said:
I hadn't noticed/remembered that people were given starting positions based on alignment.

Yes, it's in the rules.

Remove ads