Tracking all this stuff

Digital M@

Explorer
As DM's how are you planning on tracking Bloodied, marked etc.

I have a magnetic board I use for initiative and I am thinking of getting different color magnets to signify different things. I also thought of small red chips to put under the bases of bloodied miniatures on the board.

What are you doing?

Crothian

First Post
Bloodied I just look at current hit point and see if they are half or less of max hit points. That's pretty simple. Marked might get complex depending on how many PCs have that ability and how many enemies do.

I don't think it is too tough yet. Just something to get used to, it is a new game after all.

Bigassgeek

First Post
For marking, I'm assigning each character who can mark a color, then placing a poker chip of matching color under the marked opponent. I like your idea of marking bloodied opponents - maybe I'll just save the red poker chips for bloodied and use the other colors for marking.

I'm also planning to mark continuing conditions/damage on the initiative chart - we use a dry erase one - to remind my players and myself that someone's on fire.

eleran

First Post
We took an extra Axis & Allies game someone has sitting around, we use the red chips to represent bloodied for everyone. We then colored some of the white chips and gave one to each PC with marking and kept a few for me to use for the monsters who mark.

Nebulous

Legend
I bought the Descent and Doom boardgames from Fantasy Flight several years ago. As boardgames, they come with dozens of high quality markers representing different states within the game, most of which are highly transferable to both Star Wars and D&D. I plan on using both of those marker sets for Bloodied, Condition Tracks, Poison, Action/Force Points, etc.

EDIT: I guess that is more proof that 4E is more of a boardgame, with RPG elements, but it's really stealing the best parts of the boardgames and MMORGs.

MindWanderer

First Post
Traken said:
My current plan is to get a set of poker chips ($20 w/o a case) and paint them different colors as needed.
Check the size of those before you buy. Standard size for poker chips is a little over 1 inch, so they won't fit properly on a D&D grid. You can find smaller ones, but it takes some searching.

For Large creatures, these work well. There's quite a bit of room in the container for other stuff, like some Alea tools or a dice bag.

NebtheNever

First Post
I DM with a laptop, and I have several text files open at all times to keep track of various conditions. I have an initiative chart that shows what events need to transpire on each character's turns, I have a chart listing the statuses afflicting each character, I have a chart listing hit points, etc. When I DM, I like to have control over every piece of information happening in the game. I've also recently started drawing up maps of the action in excel spreadsheets, because our group has never been too fond of using minis.

Remove ads