Tracking initiative

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Last game F2F game I was in just used a dry erase board and markers. Erased after each combat.

That’s what I use for my face to face games too. I got some folder-sized dry erase boards at a school supply store. They work great and are easily portable.

hawkeyefan

Legend
For my 5E D&D game we recently switched to alternating by sides. So the PCs go first and they decide which of them will act first. Then the opponents go and I pick which one acts. Then another PC then another opponent and on and on until each participant has taken a turn. Then the round ends and we do it again.

We’ve found this method to allow the players flexibility for tactics and teamwork. It also keeps everyone engaged at all times since they’re deciding as a group who woulf be best to go on each of their turns. Everyone is also actively thinking about what their PC may do on each of the PCs’ turns to go. This speeds up play because everyone’s paying attention and not just checking out until their turn comes up again.

We lifted this from Star Trek Adventures. It works well for D&D.

For my 5E D&D game we recently switched to alternating by sides. So the PCs go first and they decide which of them will act first. Then the opponents go and I pick which one acts. Then another PC then another opponent and on and on until each participant has taken a turn. Then the round ends and we do it again.

We’ve found this method to allow the players flexibility for tactics and teamwork. It also keeps everyone engaged at all times since they’re deciding as a group who woulf be best to go on each of their turns. Everyone is also actively thinking about what their PC may do on each of the PCs’ turns to go. This speeds up play because everyone’s paying attention and not just checking out until their turn comes up again.

We lifted this from Star Trek Adventures. It works well for D&D.

I've never had problems with player inattention with 5e; the fight moves fast enough and the odds are always against the PCs. Plus using a VTT teds to keep player involved, checking distances, adjusting light sources, and the like.

aramis erak

Legend
Standard: I jot on scrap paper or on a tablet draw file the initiative sequence with number, name, then cross off as initiatives are eliminated.
D&D running AL...
I often have used a card deck of custom cards - I write the name, class, level, initiative mod, dex. Their laminated, so I use wet erase markers (Staedtler gray barreled pens). The cards also have a hole punched. I feed them on a ring when initiative is set.
Sentinel Comics: Since initiative is popcorn, I make a tracker with PC seats, and put a marker over the PC or villain spot when they have gone. When playing via discord, the bot handles tracking that.
FFG Star Wars: I use the tracks from WFRP 3E... Red for NPC, Green for PC.

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
Small dry erase board. I think at one point I had a magnetic one with little magnetic nameplates.

I've seen enough variants of the clothespin tracker to think it must be pretty useful. If I ever go back to in person gaming (highly doubtful) then I'd build something along these lines.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I've never had problems with player inattention with 5e; the fight moves fast enough and the odds are always against the PCs. Plus using a VTT teds to keep player involved, checking distances, adjusting light sources, and the like.

When we play in person it’s just with minis and a map. I notice a natural inclination toward distraction at times when players have set turns. It was never a major issue, but was noticeable at times. If every turn could be yours, there’s less chance of that happening. It also really fosters teamwork, which is the main reason for doing it.

Same. If they're not paying attention, don't react or make up their mind quick enough, they get skipped.

Fair enough. I prefer a method that doesn't punish people.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
F2F? I use the Paizo combat tracker. Magnetic dry erasable tags that can be moved easily.

Online I have been making my own tools for Traveller on excel spreadsheets.

R_J_K75

Legend
Fair enough. I prefer a method that doesn't punish people.
Doesnt happen very often and I do it more to keep the game moving along than to punish anyone. If it takes a player 2-3 minutes to figure out and complete their turn then it tends to create enough of a distraction for the other people at the table to stop paying attention.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Doesnt happen very often and I do it more to keep the game moving along than to punish anyone. If it takes a player 2-3 minutes to figure out and complete their turn then it tends to create enough of a distraction for the other people at the table to stop paying attention.

Right, I hear you. I find the same to be true....when someone takes a long time and another player thinks “well it’s ten more initiative spots to my turn” it’s that much easier for their mind to wander or to check their phone, or what have you. It doesn’t happen all the time or anything, but we’ve noticed that the idea of “our turn” rather than a bunch of “my turns” keeps people focused and discussing what to do, so there’s a lot less wasted time.

It was kind of an additional perk we noticed. The main reasons we adopted that initiative system was primarily to save time by not having to roll a bunch of dice and then set the order, and also to promote teamwork. The increased focus was just an added bonus, really.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases