Trailblazer - List of Changes

GlassJaw

Hero
This list details the page location of systems new to Trailblazer and changes to existing rules in the SRD.

Pg. 10 – Treasure Parcels
Pg. 13 – Customizing Monsters
Pg. 15 – Rest Mechanic
Pg. 16 – Iterative Attacks
Pg. 17 – Action Points
Pg. 20 – Ability score generation
Pg. 23 – Class-related languages
Pg. 23 – Dwarves: Stonecunning
Pg. 23 – Elves: Keen Senses
Pg. 24 – Gnomes: Automatic Languages
Pg. 24 – Gnomes: Tinkerer
Pg. 24 – Gnomes: Spell-Like Abilities
Pg. 26 – Half-Elves: Bonus Feat
Pg. 26 – Half-Orcs: Hatred
Pg. 26 – Character Level Advancement: Saving Throws, Bonus Starting Hit Points
Pg. 26 – Spellcasting
Pg. 28 – Barbarian: added Profession to class skills, removed Illiteracy, Whirling Frenzy, Bonus Feats, Trap Sense, increased Damage Reduction progression
Pg. 30 – Bard: increased Hit Die to d8, Arcane Forte
Pg. 31 – Bard: Bardic Luck, Power Chord, Additional Languages, 7th and 8th-level Bard Spells
Pg. 32 – Cleric: increased skill points to 4 per level, Cleric Domains, Domain Spells, Turn Undead
Pg. 33 – Druid: Weapon and Armor Proficiency, Speak With Animals, Wild Empathy, removed Animal Companion,
Pg. 34 – Druid: Wild Shape
Pg. 35 – Fighter: increased skill points to 4 per level, added Profession to class skills, Punishing Strike, Expert Weapon Proficiency
Pg. 36 – Monk: increased skill points to 6 per level, added Disable Device, Linguistics, and Search to class skills, Centered Bonus, Unarmed Damage
Pg. 37 – Monk: Reaction Bonus, Unbreakable, Bonus Feats, Trapfinding, Quivering Palm
Pg. 38 – Paladin: Alignment, increased skill points to 4 per level, Weapon and Armor Proficiency, removed Paladin Mount, Divine Weapon
Pg. 39 – Paladin: Renewed Smite, Divine Mercy
Pg. 40 – Ranger: increased Hit Die to d10, Improved Reaction, Wild Empathy, Combat Style, Master Survivalist, Speak With Animals, removed Animal Companion
Pg. 41 – Ranger: Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Pg. 42 – Rogue: increased Hit Die to d8, Combat Tactics, Sneak Attack, Trap Sense
Pg. 43 – Rogue: Rogue Talents
Pg. 44 – Sorcerer: increased Hit Die to d6, increased skill points to 4 per level, Eschew Materials, Familiars
Pg. 45 – Wizard: increased Hit Die to d6, increased skill points to 4 per level, Bonus Feats
Pg. 47 – Skills: removed cross-class skills, removed skill synergies, removed and consolidated skills (Concentration, Use Rope, Hide/Move Silently, etc)
Pg. 48 – Skills: Aid Another, Aid Another With Alternate Skills
Pg. 50 – Skills: Critical Failures and Critical Successes, Special Checks and Exploits
Pg. 51 – almost every single skill received some kind of revision
Pg. 69 – Feats: removed bard and sorcerer metamagic restriction
Pg. 70 – List of Changed, New, and Deleted feats (too many to list)
Pg. 82 – Crossbows: Firing a crossbow in melee no longer provokes and AoO.
Pg. 85 – Quarterstaff: A quarterstaff can be used to make trip attacks.
Pg. 87 – Medium Armor: No longer reduces speed.
Pg. 88 – Buckler: A buckler can be used to make bash attacks.
Pg. 90 – Customizing Melee Weapons
Pg. 93 – Actions in Combat: Changes to Actions and Attacks of Opportunity: Attack (ranged), Perform a combat maneuver, Prepare to throw a splash weapon, Drink a potion or apply an oil, Control a frightened mount, Crawl, Move into an opponent’s square, Pick up an item, Sheath a weapon, Stand up from prone, Aid Another
Pg. 95 – Combat Reactions, Attacks of Opportunity, Threatened Area
Pg. 97 – Fighting Defensively is now a Combat Exploit, Critical Hits, Concentration
Pg. 99 – Stand Up, Withdraw
Pg. 100 – Move 5 Feet through Difficult Terrain, Take 5-Foot Step
Pg. 101 – Perilous Surfaces, Difficult Terrain
Pg. 103 – Combat Exploits, Cover
Pg. 104 – Charge, Feint
Pg. 105 – Turn or Rebuke Undead
Pg. 106 – Two-Weapon Fighting
Pg. 107 – Combat Maneuvers (Bull Rush, Disarm, Grapple, Overrun, Sunder, Trip)
Pg. 110 – Injury and Dying
Pg. 111 – Condition Summary: broken
Pg. 112 – Condition Summary: crippled, dead, dying
Pg. 113 – Condition Summary: grappled, prone, stable, turned
Pg. 115 – Slowed Movement
Pg. 116 – Aerial Movement and Combat,
Pg. 117 – Aquatic Movement and Combat
Pg. 118 – Vision and Light, Falling
Pg. 119 –Rope Use, Smashing an Object
Pg. 121 – Magic: Ready Spells and Spell Slots
Pg. 122 – Concentration
Pg. 129 – Specific Spell Changes: Animate Dead, Command Undead, Control Undead, Darkness, Darkvision, Deeper Darkness, Desecrate
Pg. 130 – Specific Spell Changes: Dispel Magic
Pg. 131 – Specific Spell Changes: Polymorph
Pg. 132 – Specific Spell Changes: Summon Monster
Pg. 133 – Encounters and Challenges: Encounter Budgeting
Pg. 135 – Encounters and Challenges: Elites and Solo Monsters
Pg. 141 – Darkvision
Pg. 143 – Elemental Type, Energy Drain and Negative Levels
Pg. 147 – Improved Grab
Pg. 148 – Low-Light Vision
Pg. 150 – Movement Modes
Pg. 151 – Ooze Type
Pg. 152 – Plant Type
Pg. 159 – Turn Resistance, Undead Type
Pg. 161 – Monster Feats: Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Natural Armor
Pg. 163 – Surfaces and Terrain: formatting changes (DCs for various surfaces listed for ease of reference)
Pg. 185 – Cold Dangers
Pg. 186 – Falling Damage, Head Dangers
Pg. 187 – Starvation, Thirst, Drowning, and Suffocation

GlassJaw

Hero
Since there has been some TB chatter lately, I figured it was about time I finished this list and post it. I had originally intended this to be an Appendix in TB but I think I got sidetracked with working on errata and getting the print version done.

Note that this list paints very broad strokes. It's not meant to be a highly descriptive of every minute detail and rule that we changed or tweaked.

But for those that want to dig deeper into TB, or merely want a quick overview of what TB is all about, this list should be of some use.

Hope it helps!

GlassJaw

Hero
Why is it that nobody ever fixes the ridiculous weapon weights in D&D when they make changes to the system? Just curious.

It's only a problem if you actually use them. :p

But that's a good point about encumbrance in general. We didn't really do much with it because in our game, we don't really do much with it.

I don't mean this to sound snarky but with the overall philosophy of Traiblazer, encumbrance should not really be a high priority for your game. Enforce when players start to abuse it or when it really matters to the game.

joela

First Post

But that's a good point about encumbrance in general. We didn't really do much with it because in our game, we don't really do much with it.

I don't mean this to sound snarky but with the overall philosophy of Traiblazer, encumbrance should not really be a high priority for your game. Enforce when players start to abuse it or when it really matters to the game.

There's encumbrance rules? ;)

sjmiller

Explorer

For me, the thing about weapon weights is not about encumbrance. It is about knowledge and trust in the game designer. If they do not bother to learn about the weapons in their game, what else did they not bother to learn about? If they don't realize that a twenty pound greatsword is frankly too heavy and has never existed, does that mean they glossed over other things too?

Now, I will have to confess that the game I helped write does have unreasonable weapon weights for melee weapons. The only reason for this is that the publisher wanted it to be OGL compatible. If it were not for that I would have changed them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases