Trailblazer Teasers (collected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joela

First Post
quality

"The road to further previews is paved with quality feedback."

I know, I know. When I get home. :blush: But right off the bat:

I like combat reactions. Gives fighters more things to do in combat without having to rely on feat chains which usually lead him/her to be only good at one thing. Also, it would be easy to insert new types of reactions like parrying from d20 Conan. Oh, and now I'm curious what you did with iterative attacks after you made the statement, the levels at which they previously gained new iterative attacks.

Expert Weapon Proficiency. I can seem powergamers trying to get munchkiny with this. That's fine. Can melee combat folks like monks apply EWP to their unarmed attacks (ala fists, kicks)?

Character-based saving throws. I like this for the reasons you just named. I'm a fan of the Generic Classes from Unearthed Arcana which uses something similar. I'd love to create a tough-as-nails warmage who can stand the toughest poisons and the like.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I know, I know. When I get home. :blush: But right off the bat:

I like combat reactions.

Me too. I love them. You would not believe the difference that even something small like Aid Another does in keeping all the players engaged, even when it is not their turn. When the fighter adds up his attack bonus and gets close (but not quite) to the target DC, it's so great to see another player chime in with, "I'll throw him +2 from Aid Another!"

Oh, and now I'm curious what you did with iterative attacks after you made the statement, the levels at which they previously gained new iterative attacks.

This fix you've already seen: One attack at your full BAB, or two attacks at -2/-2.

Expert Weapon Proficiency. I can seem powergamers trying to get munchkiny with this. That's fine.

The interesting thing is that all weapons end up in pretty much the same place after a few iterations of this feature.

Take three 1H melee weapons: longsword, battle axe, and flail. The longsword adds a maneuver (trip) and increases the crit multiplier. The battle axe adds a maneuver (trip) and increases the threat range to 19-20. The flail increases the crit multiplier and the threat range. After two iterations, you have three weapons that all do 1d8 damage, 19-20, x3, and can be used to trip. (The flail maintains a slight edge-- you can disarm with it.)

Moving forward you might see them all increase their damage die to 2d6, and then for their fifth choice, maybe make them count as light weapons for off-hand use.

It's not munchkin-proof, no. But it does allow a fighter to make a "sub-optimal" weapon choice at 1st level for thematic reasons, and not have to give it up because the weapon doesn't scale.

Can melee combat folks like monks apply EWP to their unarmed attacks (ala fists, kicks)?

Heh. The monk's new unarmed strike scales a bit differently in damage-- a sort of "free" EWP for damage only.

But EWP proper is a class feature reserved to the fighter. It's certainly a very attractive feature of the fighter class, yes?

Well, depending on the rest of the Trailblazer material, you may have your first victim...er...convert. ;) Especially if you release a print version of Trailblazer for me and my players.

It will be available in print-on-demand.

"The road to further previews is paved with quality feedback."

Fair enough, I'll post something in a sec. But first...

It will be available in print-on-demand.

I don't know whom you're going with for your PoD, but if you're doing it through Lulu, I'd _really_ like to request that it not only be hardback. I moved to NZ, and Lulu only prints hardback books from the U.S. and sends them out from there. In order to have a hardback book shipped to NZ, it costs me over $100 U.S. for shipping alone. With the exchange rate, that means it costs about $160+ for shipping. That's pretty much a deal breaker for most folks.

I do know that Amazon has some sort of PoD thing going on too. I _think_ lulu has some sort of deal set up to be able to sell books through Amazon, but I'm not 100% clear on that.

Softcover books from Lulu are still pricey, but they're not the insane cost that hardcovers are. So....please think kindly on folks outside the U.S. Yeah, even Canadians have to pay a stupidly high price for Lulu hardbacks. Of course, we all know that Canada is like the 51st state; just like New Zealand is right next to Australia. :D

Now, feedback...

Overall, I gotta say the Fighter looks pretty groovy. But since you'd like something more than just "that looks cool"...

Skills
A disappointment is skills. From the sounds of it, you're sticking with the way that skills have been done. When I heard about the way that Star Wars Saga handled skills, I was quite pleased. I was _really_ happy when Pathfinder started that direction too with their Alpha; I was also quite disappointed when a bunch of people complained about it and they reverted back to the same old thing.

I realize people like to say that the whole skills thing allows for characters to be "mechanically different".. but... *shrug* I don't see how keeping the skills the way they are really supports characters being "different" in a way that a SWSE like approach doesn't. Fantasy Concepts went this way, slimmed the skills down to 18, and it seems like characters are still capable of being "mechanically differentiated".

Combat Reactions
Punishing Strike sounds pretty groovy. I poked over to your blog (not updated for some time) to read up more on the whole Combat Reactions thing. It's cool and I think tying it to BaB like that is nifty. I do wonder though if it's not just swapping out where the slowdown occurs? One of the complaints about Iterative Attacks is that it slows down combat. Yeah, I suppose you could toss 3 or 4 d20s at the same time, but it's not really an ideal solution for everyone. By turning around and giving more actions at the same rate as BaB, why isn't the game going to slow down in the same way?

As I see it, people are going to be trying to figure out some way to use the Combat Reaction so it isn't "wasted". Of course, simply Parrying is an option, but... I can see GMs after a few games of watching Fighters go for Parrying and all that become frustrated because it's difficult to "challenge" a Fighter, so they ramp up the difficulty/lethality of the encounter. The problem of course being that it means that other characters that _aren't_ Fighters are going to be more likely to become squished.

Basically, it seems like there's some potential for some really nasty feedback things to happen in a game, slowing it down, and making it more lethal.

Expert Weapon Proficiency
Looks cool. I like this as a perk for Fighters. I can see something like this being leveraged by folks that want to give a perk of some sort to characters that use a racially favored weapon, even if they're not of a Fighter class.

Saving Throws
There's a game out there called Everstone, which is based off the BESMd20 rules. One of the interesting things they did is that they started with a single class (the Sorcerer) and built everything up from there. Everybody progresses at the same rate of BaB, Hit Points, Saves, and so forth.

Where classes start looking different is that you can then spend your points to improve certain things, including your saves.

I think the approach being taken with Trailblazer for this is cool and about damn time.

Base Magic Bonus
Seems interesting; I'll be interested in seeing exactly how it's used, although I think I might understand what's being done with it. Is it actually _worth_ anything though to a non-caster class? Meaning, if I play a straight Fighter for 10 levels, is the BmB ever going to be of use?

Edit:
Oooo ooo, since there's not a reply up yet, another quick question worked in... Action Points.

With the exception of Fantasy Concepts, I haven't seen Action Points presented in any fashion that doesn't encourage hoarding them until the very last minute. Which usually means, the big climatic battle at the end versus Mr. Evil, which will result in a level up and new Action Points.

Is Trailblazer using/including Action Points as well? If so, are they the usual waste? To be honest, I never remember I've got the stupid things because it's hard to get them and their uses are pretty under-whelming in general as well. Not to be a jerk but again tapping Fantasy Concepts, a character gets 3+ one quarter of the character's level and they refresh each session. I also like the variety of things to be done with them.

Last edited:

joela

First Post
more quality review

I know, I know. When I get home.

Okay,my impression of the Trailblazer (TB) fighter:

Hit Die: Fine. I assume you'll be using standard maximum hit points at first level plus any CON bonuses.

Class Skills: No change in the skills. I assume the lost of extra skill points at 1st level is countered by the four plus INT mod in higher levels and ease of creating NPCs?

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: No changes. I like that for backwards compatibility.

Bonus Feats: No changes. I like that for backwards compatibility.

Punishing Strike: Immediately reminded me of the fighter's mark in 4th edition without the mental gymnastics. Opponents will think twice trying to move away from fighters. I can see players developing PC builds that'll increase the number of AoO from foes (e.g., trip) to take advantage of this ability.

Combat Reactions (CR): I like how ALL PCs, not just fighters, have this ability. Wizards or rogues who are suddently forced into melee combat with foes, for example, can use Dodge and Block to protect themselves without having to do a Withdrawal. Players will be encouraged how to use them in each CR (e.g., do I aid the fighter? Or hold back to block or dodge attacks?) Fighters, with their higher BABs, just benefit more.

Question, though. Do combat reactions replenish? If so, how often? Once per round? Encounter? Or the use of Action points? And CRs practically cry out for feats to give more of them.

Expert Weapon Proficiency: This squarely puts the fighter's prowess back to the fighter, not the magical power of her magic items. Also, players don't have to be so single-minded in their builds (though they can be) since feat availibility is the same for the class as per the PH. Again, I can see powergamers going wild (but that's okay).

Finally, both abilities deal nicely with the deadlevels. You can also see DMs adding more options like Parry to CRs and the ability to inflict conditions (e.g., blindness) to EWP.

We’ve standardized saving throws to a character-based progression: Again, I like this due to the flexibility of creating concept PCs like swashbucklers.

joela

First Post
CR and Trailblazer

These changes bring the fighter's total value almost even with the class leader (druid).

That's an interesting comment. The current Challenge Rating (CR) is based on the average level of the four core classes against a single monster. I assumed the CR incorporates the power level differences between the cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard. But if Trailblazer classes are closer in power, will that alter the CR of the monster? If so, I see two possible solutions: increase the monster's power or change their CR. I'd assume the latter from what I've seen of TB's Encounter Building system.

GlassJaw

Hero
Skills
A disappointment is skills. From the sounds of it, you're sticking with the way that skills have been done. When I heard about the way that Star Wars Saga handled skills, I was quite pleased. I was _really_ happy when Pathfinder started that direction too with their Alpha; I was also quite disappointed when a bunch of people complained about it and they reverted back to the same old thing.

We discussed a lot of skill systems including the SWSE implementation but ultimately, we felt that type of system was a little too "gamist" and prevented a player from customizing their character. We have simplified the skill system quite a bit though, including removing cross-class skills and the x4 multiplier at first level.

Combat Reactions
As I see it, people are going to be trying to figure out some way to use the Combat Reaction so it isn't "wasted". Of course, simply Parrying is an option, but... I can see GMs after a few games of watching Fighters go for Parrying and all that become frustrated because it's difficult to "challenge" a Fighter, so they ramp up the difficulty/lethality of the encounter. The problem of course being that it means that other characters that _aren't_ Fighters are going to be more likely to become squished.

Basically, it seems like there's some potential for some really nasty feedback things to happen in a game, slowing it down, and making it more lethal.

Hehe, you sound like me when we started playtesting Combat Reactions. I was very concerned with slowing down combat. We've been playing with Combat Reactions for a long time and now they are one of my favorite things about Trailblazer.

As to your comment about a reaction being "wasted", it's really no different if you don't get to make an AoO during a round (especially if you have Combat Reflexes). There are many times when someone doesn't use a Reaction in a round. They are there for you to use when you need them.

Parrying is definitely nice but it is not going to make the fighter invulnerable. At level 20, he'll have DR 10 against a single attack. Nice but not a game-changer.

The fighter is also only going to have 1 more reaction per round than the classes with a medium BAB progression.

Base Magic Bonus
Seems interesting; I'll be interested in seeing exactly how it's used, although I think I might understand what's being done with it. Is it actually _worth_ anything though to a non-caster class? Meaning, if I play a straight Fighter for 10 levels, is the BmB ever going to be of use?

No. BMB will only come into play if you have levels in a class that grants spellcasting.

Is Trailblazer using/including Action Points as well? If so, are they the usual waste? To be honest, I never remember I've got the stupid things because it's hard to get them and their uses are pretty under-whelming in general as well.

Yes. Action Points could actually be considered the foundation of Trailblazer. Trailblazer gives you a LOT of things to do with your AP's. They can't be ignored and you'll WANT to use them.

For example, spellcasters can spend AP's to regain their spells faster.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I don't know whom you're going with for your PoD, but if you're doing it through Lulu, I'd _really_ like to request that it not only be hardback.

Probably Amazon, almost definitely softcover.

Skills
A disappointment is skills. From the sounds of it, you're sticking with the way that skills have been done.

Not entirely, no. Our version is more like the Pathfinder alpha.

At any rate, changing the way that skills are done isn’t something that players were clamoring for. (Remember, we are really trying to keep a tight focus on our design criteria.)

However, changing the way that skills are done is definitely something that DMs have been asking for, simply because it’s such a pain to stat out NPCs; and there’s some good news there.

We’ve tried to “unhook” skills from combat in such a way that skill points have even less of an effect on CR than they already did. If you want to shorthand an NPCs skills as “Skills they should be really good at = HD+3, and everything else = HD/2” then you can just do that. Your game will survive such egregious fudging.

Combat Reactions
I poked over to your blog (not updated for some time) to read up more on the whole Combat Reactions thing. It's cool and I think tying it to BaB like that is nifty. I do wonder though if it's not just swapping out where the slowdown occurs? One of the complaints about Iterative Attacks is that it slows down combat. Yeah, I suppose you could toss 3 or 4 d20s at the same time, but it's not really an ideal solution for everyone. By turning around and giving more actions at the same rate as BaB, why isn't the game going to slow down in the same way?

This question deserves a lengthy answer.

First, it’s far too pithy to simply say that, “Iterative attacks slow down combat.” Specifically, the biggest slowdown to combat is the calculation time that the old method represented. Because each attack had a different attack bonus, you were required to roll them in sequence, and do the math for each d20 individually.

I categorically reject the notion that “Players don’t like rolling a lot of dice.” Players love rolling dice. In huge handfuls. Think Shadowrun or Warhammer 40k. The difference is that in such games, all of the dice rolled are looking for the same target number. You can sort successful from failures in groups. We can do that.

It’s also a mistake to think that players don’t want options to slow down their game. “Options” is just another way of saying “meaningful choices” and meaningful choices are the fundamental building blocks of play. If the players are given the opportunity to make choices (such as how to spend their combat reactions) when it isn’t their turn, this keeps them engaged when it isn’t their turn.

As I see it, people are going to be trying to figure out some way to use the Combat Reaction so it isn't "wasted."

Well, you’re not always in a position to use a combat reaction.

Without doubt, the most useful and powerful reaction is the Dodge. There’s almost no slowdown here. If the DM tells you that the troll is attacking, you say, “I’ll dodge a claw attack.” But each dodge only works against a single attack—and there aren’t enough combat reactions to go around. Players will very often eschew other combat reactions (including attacks of opportunity) because they want to save their reactions to Dodge.

The second most useful (and most used) reaction is Aid Another. Again, very little slowdown. We’ve removed the required roll here—you spend the combat reaction, your ally gets +2 to hit or AC.

But let’s also talk about the ways that combat has been sped up in other ways. First and foremost: movement, positioning, attacks of opportunity. In 3e, combat is very static. You have a lot of wasted time as the players jockey around trying to figure out how to get into combat without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Trailblazer opts for a much more dynamic combat. We’ve made most move actions that you perform “inside your own space” safe to perform, and we’ve made it much easier to get into combat. Players want to get into combat. The DM wants his players in combat. Why would you want rules that frustrate that process?

So we’ve removed the concept of “threatened squares” and replaced it with “threatened area.” You only provoke an attack of opportunity if you leave a threatened area. In a nutshell, this means that you can freely move up to an opponent (regardless of its reach) without having to walk on eggshells. It also means that, as long as you stay inside that opponent’s threatened area, you can move around, try to flank, and so forth. Everybody gets “shifty.”

Expert Weapon Proficiency
Looks cool. I like this as a perk for Fighters. I can see something like this being leveraged by folks that want to give a perk of some sort to characters that use a racially favored weapon, even if they're not of a Fighter class.

Certainly—but three levels is not an insignificant dip. In game time—if you’re actually playing the character and leveling up organically—that’s a huge investment.
Base Magic Bonus

No, but it’s also not worth very much in terms of CR. Something like 1/200th of 1 CR.

I haven't seen Action Points presented in any fashion that doesn't encourage hoarding them until the very last minute. Which usually means, the big climatic battle at the end versus Mr. Evil, which will result in a level up and new Action Points. Is Trailblazer using/including Action Points as well? If so, are they the usual waste?

Yes. Not only are they are extremely useful, they are essential to Trailblazer and to dozens of fixes to high-level play. The game desperately needed a new kind of high level resource ablation.

I’ll put Action Points in their own preview.

Okay,my impression of the Trailblazer (TB) fighter:

Hit Die: Fine. I assume you'll be using standard maximum hit points at first level plus any CON bonuses.

PCs also get a “Heroic Bonus” equal to their full CON score.

Punishing Strike: Immediately reminded me of the fighter's mark in 4th edition without the mental gymnastics. Opponents will think twice trying to move away from fighters. I can see players developing PC builds that'll increase the number of AoO from foes (e.g., trip) to take advantage of this ability.

Ha ha! Standing up from prone doesn’t provoke an AoO. Cause really, you just got hit. And then tripped. And then you have to spend your move action standing up. Doesn’t that suck enough? (See above commentary on making moving around in combat not suck.)

But your point is taken, and there are other ways to provoke AoO from a fighter.

Combat Reactions (CR): I like how ALL PCs, not just fighters, have this ability. Wizards or rogues who are suddently forced into melee combat with foes, for example, can use Dodge and Block to protect themselves without having to do a Withdrawal.

I don’t think you’re going to have to “force” rogues into combat—but we’ll cover that in today’s preview. But yes—dodge is great. Consider 12th level, the fighter has a +12 BAB, three reactions, and +6 dodge bonus; the wizard has a +6 BAB, two reactions, and a +3 dodge bonus.

Question, though. Do combat reactions replenish? If so, how often? Once per round?

Once per round—like attacks of opportunity.

And CRs practically cry out for feats to give more of them.

I think they’re too good to give more of them. Combat Reflexes was changed for this reason: Add your DEX bonus to your BAB to determine how many combat reactions you receive. (My playtest rogue had two reactions by 3rd level.)

But you could certainly create feats to make the ones you do receive work better.

But if Trailblazer classes are closer in power, will that alter the CR of the monster? If so, I see two possible solutions: increase the monster's power or change their CR. I'd assume the latter from what I've seen of TB's Encounter Building system.

Trailblazer PCs are certainly more powerful, a difference most acutely felt at low level. (This is a mathematical necessity: a ½ CR increase at first level is an increase of 50%, but it’s a much smaller proportional increase as levels increase.)

But one of the design goals was to be able to use more monsters for bigger, more interesting combats, especially at low levels. It’s a feature. Who wants to fight one zombie?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
ROGUE
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The rogue’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Persuasion (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Stealth (Dex), Swim (Str), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points Per Level: 8 + Int modifier.

[sblock] In the interest of space, I’ll snip anything from the rogue class that is already familiar to players of 3e.[/sblock]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Rogues are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. Rogues are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Combat Tactics: The rogue is much more dangerous when combat conditions favor his fighting style. The rogue gains the listed bonus to his attack rolls any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks his target.

[sblock]This bonus basically allows the rogue to strike at the same BAB as a fighter when "sneak attack" conditions permit. The bonus is scaled and placed at those points in the rogue’s BAB progression where he falls behind the 1:1 rate.[/sblock]

Sneak Attack: If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks his target. <snip>

A rogue's ability to sneak attack is not based on any inherent properties of his target, but rather on the rogue's ability to make the most of favorable combat conditions: when the target is flanked by multiple opponents, or when the rogue is able to strike at a vulnerable moment. A rogue can use combat tactics and sneak attack against any creature capable of being flanked. However, the rogue must be able to see the target well enough to strike at a vulnerable moment; thus, a rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

[sblock]Crits are fun. And if you roll a natural 20, you deserve that crit. Hit points are already an abstraction, so having critical hits (and by extension, sneak attack) attempt to straddle this line between gamist abstraction and simulationist rationalization doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Consider a critical as “Best-case damage under perfectly mundane but otherwise optimal circumstances.” Neither the critical hit nor the rogue’s sneak attack must necessarily indicate a blow to a particularly vulnerable area, organ, artery, soft tissue, or what-have-you; it’s just a really, really good hit.

The rogue gains a big boost in effectiveness on the basis of this change alone. The rogue doesn’t need to worry about the type of creature, but rather to setting up the conditions he needs to get that bonus damage: denying creatures their DEX bonus, and/or flanking them.

Creatures (such as incorporeal creatures) that are specifically immune to sneak attack keep this immunity. There is no immunity to critical hits, neither does prior immunity to critical hits grant immunity to sneak attack by extension.[/sblock]

Trap Sense (Ex): At 3rd level, a rogue gains an intuitive sense that alerts his to danger from traps, giving him a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. Trap Sense also allows the rogue to make passive Perception checks when within 10' of a trap and gains a +1 bonus on those checks. These bonuses rise by +1 every three rogue levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Rogue Talents: On attaining 10th level, and every two levels thereafter (12th, 14th, 16th, 18th, and 20th), a rogue gains a special ability of his choice from among the following options.

Bleeding Attack (Ex): A rogue with this ability can cause living opponents to bleed when hitting them with a sneak attack. This attack causes the target to take 1 additional point of damage each round for each die of the rogue’s sneak attack (ie. 4d6 equals 4 points of bleed). Bleeding creatures take that amount of damage at the start of each of their turns.The bleeding can be stopped by a DC 15 Heal check or the application of any effect that heals hit point damage. Bleeding damage from this ability does not stack with itself.

Combat Trick: The rogue gains Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, or Improved Trip, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. The rogue may choose this talent more than once to choose another of the listed feats.

Crippling Strike (Ex): A rogue with this ability can sneak attack opponents with such precision that his blows weaken and hamper them. An opponent damaged by one of his sneak attacks also takes 2 points of Strength damage.

Defensive Roll (Ex): The rogue can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than he otherwise would. Once per day, when he would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the rogue can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the rogue must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, he takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, he takes full damage. He must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute his defensive roll—if he is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, he can’t use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the rogue’s evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Fast Stealth: The rogue may move at full speed while using Stealth, without penalty.

Harrier: When the rogue uses the Aid Another combat reaction in combat to improve an ally's attack bonus or armor class, he adds his combat tactics bonus in addition the +2 bonus the reaction normally provides.

Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability works like evasion, except that while the rogue still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, he henceforth takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Opportunist (Ex): Once per round, the rogue can make an opportunity attack against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. A rogue may not use the opportunist ability more than once per round.

Skill Mastery: The rogue becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that he can use them reliably even under adverse conditions. Upon gaining this ability, he selects a number of skills equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, he may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent his from doing so. A rogue may gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for it to apply to each time.

Slippery Mind (Ex): This ability represents the rogue’s ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel his. If a rogue with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on his saving throw.

Feat: A rogue may gain a bonus feat. The rogue may not choose this talent more than once.​

Code:
Level	BAB	BMB	Class Features
1	+0	+0	Combat tactics +1, sneak attack +1d6, trapfinding
2	+1	+0	Evasion
3	+2	+1	Sneak attack +2d6, trap sense +1
4	+3	+1	Uncanny dodge
5	+3	+1	Combat tactics +2, sneak attack +3d6
6	+4	+2	Trap sense +2
7	+5	+2	Sneak attack +4d6
8	+6	+2	Improved uncanny dodge
9	+6	+3	Combat tactics +3, sneak attack +5d6 trap sense +3
10	+7	+3	Rogue talent
11	+8	+3	Sneak attack +6d6
12	+9	+4	Rogue talent, trap sense +4
13	+9	+4	Combat tactics +4, sneak attack +7d6
14	+10	+4	Rogue talent
15	+11	+5	Sneak attack +8d6, trap sense +5
16	+12	+5	Rogue talent
17	+12	+5	Combat tactics +5, sneak attack +9d6
18	+13	+6	Rogue talent, trap sense +6
19	+14	+6	Sneak attack +10d6
20	+15	+6	Rogue talent

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
Trap Sense (Ex): At 3rd level, a rogue gains an intuitive sense that alerts his to danger from traps, giving him a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. Trap Sense also allows the rogue to make passive Perception checks when within 10' of a trap and gains a +1 bonus on those checks. These bonuses rise by +1 every three rogue levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Just to expand on this a bit more, passive Perception is essentially a Take 10, "always-on" Perception check for all characters. The DM should have all PCs' passive Perception score written down for easy reference.

Some character may have abilities that allow them to use their passive Perception for other things. Trap Sense allows you to use your passive Perception to "get a feeling" that a trap may be nearby. You still must use Search to find the trap, however. Trap Sense was a fairly useless ability previously so expanding it to grant a bonus to passive Perception gives it a bonus in usefulness. Dwarves and elves can also use passive Perception to notice unusual stonework or secret doors, respectively.

Passive Perception was implemented for 2 main reasons: 1) to reduce the need for the rogue to search every 5' when moving through a dungeon, and 2) to allow the DM to quickly asses what a PC notices or doesn't notice in secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads