• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

training

jollyninja

First Post
so how do pc's go up a level in your game? the players handbook i have (enter number here) xp, i'm level X now! do you make the players fork over some hard earned loot? how much do you charge? i've read the section in the dmg, seems to be just a bunch of ideas that could be put into use if you like them or not as per dm choice, but i'm curious what people actually use. how much time does it take?

i ask this because i'm in two campaigns right now, one as a player, one as a dm and myself and the other dm seem to have extremely varrying opinions on the matter. one using xp + few days reflection on life's nuances = level, the other having had the party adventure for 3 weeks and train for about 18 weeks at level 3.

Turanil

First Post
As a DM I never cared about this question. Once players have got the required XP they get the level, and that's it. However, I must admit this works that way out of sheer laziness, not a firm decision taken after having thought about it carefully.

On the other hand, I would be upset to have my character obliged to spend 18 weeks training to get to level 3...

Krellic

Explorer
I've never bothered with making my PCs take out downtime for training, although I understand the arguments for it. I try to run campaigns where things keep happening regardless of the characters and if they took that amount of time out they just might miss something!

It might not be realistic but I find it's more fun and that is ultimately why I do it.
;)

Yair

Community Supporter
I can't sustain versimilitude without some "down time", it just doesn't make sense for me. And my group feels the same. We demand a down-time and training; I used to demand variable time based on skills taought, but currently we just use 1 week per character level (IIRC).
I find learning new spells in an instant unreasonable, and increasing a Knowledge (Arcana) after killing somre orcs unfathomable...

Terwox

First Post
Gameplay > realism.

A fighter wakes up and trains every single day, and a mage wakes up and studies every single day. This can be a cool part of the description, especially if the warrior is approached by someone while training alone -- provides nice background for the scene.

If I were less lazy, I'd describe it every day, but I'm more about the talkie-talkie I guess. And the fightie-fightie. Ug, no more posting, I'm going to bed.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Xp gain is a fairly gradual process. I assume over the course of the xp gain, the PC's are training constantly. I allow them to advance whenever they achieve the requisite xp as long as its not during a battle or series of encounters, but they won't necessarily be able to use spell slots immediately or what not.

Deadguy

First Post
Training to advance? Nah! :D

It sounds sort of reasonable - spending time to round out your skills as you advance, getting the insight and expertise of others of the class you are advancing in to. But when PCs are at difference XP points (because some aren't there every week), you can very annoyed players because some PCs want to press on with the adventure, whilst others want to back off and egt their training.

And of course, insisting on training makes certain adventure tropes impossible, e.g. the great wilderness exploration comes to a halt because the PCs need to get back to civilization to train!

Levels are a convenient out-of-game tool. I wouldn't want them intruding too much into the game!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Training works best in a campaign that isn't quest heavy. If the characters go on long extended quests, having time out for training really disrupts the flow of the story.

During my early days of DMing 3E, I used the training rules, but quickly abandoned them - they were proving too much of a disruption to the fun gaming we were having.

It should be noted that Gary Gygax didn't use the training rules he included in the 1E DMG, except on those occasions when a PC gained a level extremely rapidly through a large windfall of treasure.

Cheers!

shilsen

Adventurer
I generally don't use training. As long as the character is advancing in a class that he already possesses, I assume that the rigors of adventuring provide enough practice to improve his skills. If the character is going to take on a level in a new class, I expect it to be roleplayed to some extent, and training may be required, depending on the class. Skippy Twinkletoes the rogue can roleplay picking up the first fighter level by spending time getting Bashumhead the Fighter to show him how to use some other weapons. But if Kneeling Ned the cleric is suddenly going to pick up wizard abilities, it is probably going to require more training. And if Whizzbang the Wizard wants the Alienist PrC, that will definitely be roleplayed in some detail.

That's why I require players to tell me two levels in advance if they plan to pick up a new class or PrC, so I can work it into the story.

Deadguy

First Post
shilsen said:
That's why I require players to tell me two levels in advance if they plan to pick up a new class or PrC, so I can work it into the story.

That's a good idea about the PrCs. I mean the foreward planning required means that they will know in plenty of time about the class they are interested in (assuming that is that they know what PrCs are out there!).

But for core classes? I can see letting you know immediately after the previous levelling up. But two levels ahead seems a bit constraining on adpating your PC to the adventures that they experience. I have players who might, for example, after spending a long time in battles, think it appropriate to gain a level as a Fighter. I like that they are reacting to what their PCs are doing, so I don't think I could go with 2 levels notice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads