• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Travel back to the 1980s with me! *UPDATED*

diaglo

Adventurer
n3dst4 said:
What are 2edD&D Holmes and 3edD&D Holmes, by the way?

Holmes wrote the first Basic D&D. ... 2edD&D

a little while later 3edD&D was released. still Holmes work.

and then another edition was released for D&D and so on...

edit: my favorite Character sheets are still the ones with the Tom Wham cover art

jrients

First Post
Holmes did two editions? I thought he did one then the next was a Basic book edited by Tom Moldvay.

Great char sheet, BTW.

n3dst4

First Post
Gah! I am hopelessly out of touch with D&D history. I didn't know D&D had had revisions after the red box / blue box series. There are huge chunks of my knowledge missing! Holy dingbats. Okay, so what my sheet is aping is the basic set D&D, not OD&D at all. Gasp.

Oh hell, I feel an ebay session coming on...

Ron

Explorer
Good job! Not only is a pretty good sheet but also it does remind me of the old AD&D ones. I might use it in the future.

jrients

First Post
A quick visit to the Acaeum confirms that there was a '77 Holmes and a '79 Holmes. Unfortunately, there is no real indicator as to the differences between the two editions. Can anybody throw some light on this mystery?

Ourph

First Post
n3dst4 said:
Gah! I am hopelessly out of touch with D&D history. I didn't know D&D had had revisions after the red box / blue box series.

Actually the stuff Diaglo is talking about all came way before the Red Box/Blue Box series. It goes....OD&D 1974 (white box, three little books) > Holmes Basic Sets (w/ Sutherland cover art) > Moldvay/Cook Sets (magenta box/blue box w/ Erol Otus cover art) > Mentzer Sets (Red Box/Blue Box w/ Larry Elmore cover art) > A few other versions of Basic (including a Black Box set) > The Rules Cyclopedia (most of the Basic/ Expert/ Companion/ Masters rules compiled into one volume).

Cheer up! This just means you're not as old as you thought you were. ;)

jrients said:
A quick visit to the Acaeum confirms that there was a '77 Holmes and a '79 Holmes. Unfortunately, there is no real indicator as to the differences between the two editions. Can anybody throw some light on this mystery?

The main distinguishing factor is that one set of rulebooks says "second edition" on the inside cover and the other says "third edition". I don't believe the rules changed materially between the two. Of course the set itself contained different things over the years. Originally Holmes came with Monster & Treasure assortment and Dungeon Geomorphs. Then B1 In Search of the Unknown for a while and finally B2 Keep on the Borderlands. The switch to B2 seems to have occured around the time the "third edition" booklets were printed, but some "second edition" sets contained B2 instead of B1 toward the end of their production time. All "third edition" sets contained B2.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads