D&D General Travel In Medieval Europe

Ixal

Hero
We tend to focus on the architectual accomplishments of Egpyt, but a lot of us don't really appreciate how wealthy they were, and trade was the primary reason Egypt was so wealthy. Their wealth is what allowed them to produce engineers, transport construction material from faraway places, and pay the laborers to do the constructing, etc., etc. Without that wealth, it's doubtful they would have been so technologically advanced.
Also Britain had large tin deposits which is needed to create bronze in the first place. The tin trade in Europe was massive.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
How can bards travel while it's dangerous? Well... possibly in groups and/or with a bodyguard, and likely on roads that are patrolled by the local law enforcement or the ruler's patrols. In Level Up, one of the ranger archetypes is Warden, which are designed to specifically be appointed wilderness protectors. Even without that archetype, in a monster-ridden world like D&Dland, it's likely that any ruler or rich landowner who can afford it will hire people to protect their property.
I believe the correct term is Bardyguard.

TheSword

Legend
Terrain. On a well maintained road, which the medieval European world had a decent number of, at least in formerly Roman areas, a healthy fit adult can walk 5 mph comfortably. 4mph is taking it easy.

As I said, you have to factor terrain and weather in if you want to get distance per day from that.
That figure feels about 50% too ambitious.

Being able to walk that speed for an hour or two is one thing, 5-6 hours a day for several days… I don’t think so. That would be considered power walking and is described as the upper limit of the natural range for walking gait. Certainly not comfortably sustainable for normal people.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I think it was GURPS that pointed out the standard 'dungeon fantasy' world has early modern technology, modern city sizes (Waterdeep had a population of 1 million last time they published it) and 21st-century gender roles. <shrug> It's a game. D&D-world is its own place.

It's interesting the pilgrims disappeared from the Monster Manual after 2nd ed (when they were carried over from 1st ed). I'd say the overall evolution was from wargame-inspired heist game to anime-influenced medieval-flavored superhero game. Pilgrims just aren't that epic, and given how players increasingly feel uncomfortable massacring orcs I'm guessing killing actual humans (and something in the Monster Manual has combat stats) with different religions feels problematic.

Being able to walk that speed for an hour or two is one thing, 5-6 hours a day for several days… I don’t think so. That would be considered power walking and is described as the upper limit of the natural range for walking gait. Certainly not comfortably sustainable for normal people.

When I was younger - and much fitter - I would hike with around 40-50lbs, including camping gear: on easy paths (most English footpaths), I would make around 12-15 miles per day, 18 at a push, if it included easy tracks and byways.

When I hiked in the Adironacks, or the Baxter State Park, or the Cascades - with much rougher paths, and frequent changes of elevation - then 10-12 miles per day was more realistic, and 15 was a real slog.

5mph is way too fast for a sustained pace. This is what a constant 5mph looks like:

TheSword

Legend
When I was younger - and much fitter - I would hike with around 40-50lbs, including camping gear: on easy paths (most English footpaths), I would make around 12-15 miles per day, 18 at a push, if it included easy tracks and byways.

When I hiked in the Adironacks, or the Baxter State Park, or the Cascades - with much rougher paths, and frequent changes of elevation - then 10-12 miles per day was more realistic, and 15 was a real slog.

5mph is way too fast for a sustained pace. This is what a constant 5mph looks like:

Yes. Far too fast.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Also Britain had large tin deposits which is needed to create bronze in the first place. The tin trade in Europe was massive.
Arsenic was originally used to create bronze in Egypt. Tin eventually phased it out, but it was necessary for the creation of bronze.

Which isn't to say that the tin trade wasn't huge, just that there's more than one way to create bronze.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

1mph too fast, at most. The average adult human can comfortably walk 3-4mph. 5mph is a fast pace, but hardly grueling.

Ixal

Hero
Precisely. no need to travel to Lourdes when the local clerics can cast remove disease/blindness/curse, raise dead and/or resurrection.
And yet the FR had the gods physically walk the planet during the Times of Troubles and perform various deeds. Enough spots that warrant a pilgrimage to.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases