D&D General Travel In Medieval Europe

MGibster

Legend
It was a silly joke. For the most part, I've found that religion doesn't play a promiment role in D&D. Which is odd for a game with clerics, gods, and all sorts of supernatural forces. Oh, sure, there's evil cultist, and even gods directly meddling in the affairs of mortals. But religion? Not really. At least not in my experience. D&D is oddly secular. So that might explain why you don't see a lot of pilgrims in most D&D games even though it sounds like a super awesome idea. Man, I'm surprised we don't have any good stories featuring a cross section of medieval society entertaining one another while on a pilgramige.

In addition to Thanksgiving, you'll most often hear Americans saying pilgrim when imitating John Wayne.

Pilgrimages in the Middle Ages must have been a pretty wild ride: entering a liminal space where all kinds of normal societal taboos based on propriety, class and gender fell by the wayside.

Secure in the knowledge that your sins - including those performed while on the pilgrimage - would be expiated upon arrival at your destination, and receiving mass.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It was a silly joke. For the most part, I've found that religion doesn't play a promiment role in D&D. Which is odd for a game with clerics, gods, and all sorts of supernatural forces. Oh, sure, there's evil cultist, and even gods directly meddling in the affairs of mortals. But religion? Not really. At least not in my experience. D&D is oddly secular. So that might explain why you don't see a lot of pilgrims in most D&D games even though it sounds like a super awesome idea. Man, I'm surprised we don't have any good stories featuring a cross section of medieval society entertaining one another while on a pilgramige.

In addition to Thanksgiving, you'll most often hear Americans saying pilgrim when imitating John Wayne.
Ah okay.

I really think that pilgrimages and similar travel, like described in the video, could be integrated into dnd pretty easily regardless of how religious or not the PCs are. You make the pilgrimage to Cantebury because it's a rite of passage, because you've heard all your life how immensely awe-inspiring the cathedral is, and because you've spent your whole life in the same area, and it's hard to say no to that chance to go see the world in relative safety.

In dnd, that cathedral could be at the top of a mountain whose foundation are the bones of a giant, and the trees grow magical fruit, and the waters of the temple fountain make you live longer or whatever.

I've found that religion doesn't play a promiment role in D&D.
It's generally played down to avoid negative interaction with the wide variety of real world beliefs players have.

But having at least one very powerful religious organisation would be quite important for a "medieval" setting. The only setting that actually has that is Eberron, which isn't trying to be medieval at all.

Hussar

Legend
Interesting watch. But, his very first line does kinda put it in perspective. If 95% of the population are farmers, then 95% of your population isn't traveling all that much because it's kinda a bad thing to let all your chickens die so you could spend the weekend in the city.

Ixal

Hero
Interesting watch. But, his very first line does kinda put it in perspective. If 95% of the population are farmers, then 95% of your population isn't traveling all that much because it's kinda a bad thing to let all your chickens die so you could spend the weekend in the city.
Even farmers travelled. One or two large journeys in their lifetimes and smaller travels anually or every few years was common.
While today we only remember the big pilgrimage destinations back then there were also many local pilgrimage sites all over the place where people from the surrounding areas travelled to.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well, according to my grandmother's genealogy research, the oldest ancestors in any kind of records, were Irish nobles who settled in western and southern Scotland during the Dal Riata era. And later fought the Romans and lost, so they sailed to Norway to recoup their forces, rest and plan for future attacks against Rome. While they were in Norway, an envoy from Hungary of Attila came and offered rank and title to those who joined their effort. Some of the family went, and today their are descendants in Hungary still. All that traveling occurred sometime in the fourth century, a half millennia or so before the height of the middle ages.

Then there's both pilgrimages to the Holy Land, and the Crusades, priests sent to serve in distant monastaries, not to mention sailors aboard merchant ships across that entire span of time. Not every person of the medieval period was a peasant farmer.

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
While today we only remember the big pilgrimage destinations back then there were also many local pilgrimage sites all over the place where people from the surrounding areas travelled to.
Hiking around Europe I've come across plenty of local pilgrimage sites - small chapels in the mountains where farmers would go to pray for the end of a drought, for example. Usually there are shrines up and down the mountain sides to mark where some of them didn't make it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases