D&D 5E Treasure Ammunition Doubt

Arvin Natsuko

First Post
Hey Guys,Last game our DM rolled for treasure in a random table from the DMG. Problem was that we rolled for "Ammunition +2", but the table doesn't specify the number of arrows or bolts or whatever. We couldn't found any rule for it, so my DM made me roll 5d4 for a maximum of 20 pieces as houserule. My question is: there's any rule for that? One of us think of one piece of ammunition, but seems to me like too little for a treasure.Thanks for the help and sorry for the english.Regards,Arvin

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/12/05/arrow-1-bow-2-magic-bonus-stack/

[MENTION=6678712]rwallace[/MENTION]8665: I’m going to guess that rolling +1 ammo on the random table means one, not a quiver?

[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford: That's correct. A generous DM could certainly turn it into a quiver!

Wow, that's just...what the hell purpose does that even serve? A single piece of ammunition? What are the alternative options on that table? I'm honestly having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.

Wow, that's just...what the hell purpose does that even serve? A single piece of ammunition? What are the alternative options on that table? I'm honestly having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.
There are no "options" on the table. It's not as though you get to sit down and pick between different entries. Magic items are a bonus. You either get them, or you don't. A single +1 arrow is better than the alternative, because the alternative is nothing.

We don't have rules for crafting magic items. At best, we have extremely rough guidelines, which the DM is expected to shape into something appropriate to the setting. If your DM said that it took the same resources to craft (or purchase) a single +1 arrow or an entire +1 bow, then you might have some argument about it being too weak, and that's something you should take up with your DM.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
There are no "options" on the table. It's not as though you get to sit down and pick between different entries. Magic items are a bonus. You either get them, or you don't. A single +1 arrow is better than the alternative, because the alternative is nothing.

We don't have rules for crafting magic items. At best, we have extremely rough guidelines, which the DM is expected to shape into something appropriate to the setting. If your DM said that it took the same resources to craft (or purchase) a single +1 arrow or an entire +1 bow, then you might have some argument about it being too weak, and that's something you should take up with your DM.

The OP said it was rolled from a table. Unless it's a table with just one entry, there are by definition other options on that table. And if it's the difference between a single +X arrow and a single +X sword, I'm thinking there's something wrong with that table. On the other hand, if it's the difference between a single +X arrow and a single healing potion, okay, sure, fine, it's a consumables table. Your answer is completely unhelpful.

delericho

Legend
The OP said it was rolled from a table. Unless it's a table with just one entry, there are by definition other options on that table. And if it's the difference between a single +X arrow and a single +X sword, I'm thinking there's something wrong with that table.

There's not - it's a treasure table where the numbers higher up the table deliberately give you more valuable stuff. In other words, it's a feature, not a bug.

The OP said it was rolled from a table. Unless it's a table with just one entry, there are by definition other options on that table. And if it's the difference between a single +X arrow and a single +X sword, I'm thinking there's something wrong with that table. On the other hand, if it's the difference between a single +X arrow and a single healing potion, okay, sure, fine, it's a consumables table. Your answer is completely unhelpful.
The word "option" implies that there's a choice involved, but there's no choice when you roll dice. Not everything on the table is equal in power, nor is it intended to be.

When you claim the hoard of a Challenge 1-4 creature, you have a 36% chance of no magical items, a 48% chance of getting 1-6 items from sub-tables A through C, and a 1% chance of getting something from sub-tables F or G. A bad roll means you walk away with 20gp worth of gems. A good roll means you get 600gp in gems and a +2 bow.

Somewhere in the middle, amongst the scrolls and folding boats, you might walk away with a magic arrow and 100gp. As far as loot goes, it's kind of on the low end. You might have expected more, but you also might have ended up with less. You also could have been killed, and you're definitely a winner just for staying alive. You should be happy that you found something, and make the most of it. If you only look at what could have been, then you'll be disappointed any time the level 1 goblin boss doesn't have a +2 weapon for you to take.

Remove ads