• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Trickster Rogue with Familiar doing sneak attack damage

Zinnger

Explorer
A Trickster Rogue can select find familiar as their one non illusion/enchantment spell and do good things like - always deal sneak attack damage when their familiar is within 5' of their target. But if the Rogue wants another useful spell in the free choice slot like magic missile, can that Rogue cast find familiar from a scroll and still acquire the tool to provide forever sneak attack damage?

PnPgamer

Explorer
As long as you have a party member that prefers melee combat, you are good to go.

Areyou going solo or with a party?

Last edited:

Zinnger

Explorer
Going with party of another rogue and a sorcerer with criminal background. Basically sneaking around and attacking with surprise. Can a Rogue use a scroll to acquire the familiar? It would be nice to have a free scout as well.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Dungeon master guide page 139 says that anyone able to read a language can try to use a scroll. It may cause a mishap however, and page 140 specifies mishap table. I am not sure how you get to the scroll mishap...

Shiroiken

Legend
Yes. The Trickster uses the Wizard Spell List, which has the Find Familiar spell. If you read the scroll at lower level than you can cast (don't remember if Find Familiar is level 1 or 2), then there is a chance of mishap. Otherwise, you are good to go!

Coredump

Explorer
Dungeon master guide page 139 says that anyone able to read a language can try to use a scroll. It may cause a mishap however, and page 140 specifies mishap table. I am not sure how you get to the scroll mishap...

The rules for spell scrolls is much more restrictive. But in this case it should be all good.

Fanaelialae

Legend
That's why you get one with flyby😁

Still a bit risky. I generally ignore familiars as a DM unless they're being used to deliver touch attacks (why waste an attack on what is essentially a non-combatant when their are higher priority targets). However, if the familiar is granting sneak attack, you can bet that it will be considered a priority target, particularly by ranged attackers (if using flyby).

For this reason, I wouldn't bother casting it from a scroll, unless the DM allows you to easily purchase scrolls. If you wait until 8th level you can pick a spell from any school, which can be Find Familiar. At that point you can resummon the familiar with a ritual. Admittedly only useful until 13th level, when Versatile Trickster becomes a much better option.

Remove ads