Tripping and TWF

If I successfully trip someone, have Improved Trip and TWF may I choose which weapon to make the follow up attack with? Does it have to be with the weapon I tripped with?

Vegepygmy

First Post
If I successfully trip someone, have Improved Trip and TWF may I choose which weapon to make the follow up attack with? Does it have to be with the weapon I tripped with?
The feat says: "If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn't used your attack for the trip attempt."

So any attack you could have made when you instead chose to make the trip attempt can be made as your follow-up attack.

Omegaxicor

First Post
I was under the impression that you couldn't Trip someone using the vast majority of weapons, and those you could were two-handed...

that notwithstanding IF you could then the wording implies you have to use the weapon you tripped with since you are reusing that attack as an attack rather than a trip attempt BUT that may be because when it was printed there were no one handed trip weapons.

I would personally rule it was fine to trip with your right hand and attack with your left and you wouldn't need to take -2 (or whatever twf penalty you have) because you haven't attack with your right hand yet, if you had four attacks, 2 primary and 2 secondary, I would rule that you could Move, Trip with Secondary weapon and attack with Primary weapon without a problem, other DMs would have a problem and I can understand why so check with your DM

delericho

Legend

It depends on whether your Trip was made using the Attack action or as part of a Full Attack action. As Vegepygmy says, the wording of the feat is "If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt."

If you used the Attack action (perhaps because you've also moved that round), then you can choose which weapon to attack with - if you hadn't chosen to Trip then you could have attacked with either weapon, so you can use either weapon now.

However, if you are using the Full Attack action, you have to use the same weapon for the follow-up attack, because you have used (or will be using) the other weapon for other attacks. Effectively, whichever of your two (or three, four...) attacks you replaced with the Trip is the one you get 'back' from the feat.

(Oh, and if you Trip as part of an Attack of Opportunity, you again get to choose, as per the "Attack action" case above.)

delericho

Legend
I was under the impression that you couldn't Trip someone using the vast majority of weapons, and those you could were two-handed...

Yes and no. It is correct that you can't Trip unless you're using a weapon with that capability. However, the flail is one of the weapons that can be used to Trip, and it is a one-handed weapon. (There are others, of course, but that's the one that leapt to mind.)

Omegaxicor

First Post
Yes and no. It is correct that you can't Trip unless you're using a weapon with that capability. However, the flail is one of the weapons that can be used to Trip, and it is a one-handed weapon. (There are others, of course, but that's the one that leapt to mind.)

oh yea, I didn't see that

Remove ads