D&D 5E Trivantage Simulator

G

Guest 6801328

Thanks to three recent threads (here, here, and here) involving Elven Accuracy, I decided to write a monte carlo simulation to see how it interacts with a few things. I'm especially interested in rogue builds, but I wanted to see what the effects of 1 or 3 level Fighter dips might do.

I didn't model everything, such as Action Surge, or the difficulty/probability of getting advantage. I only included features that would get used every round that the rogue has advantage.

Disclaimer: I didn't meticulously error check the results, so there may be a glaring flaw. Feel free to pick my code apart. (Anybody knowledgeable enough to read the source code also knows how to find it.)

http://trivantage.herokuapp.com/

G

Guest 6801328

Rapier booming blade damage at 18 is less than 17...

Yeah I’m seeing slight declines in straight rogue going from odd to even levels. There should be zero change, but of course this is a simulation with random numbers so anything is possible. I’ll dig around; it might be a bug or it could just be statistical variation.

Or....I could throw out the simulation and just do it analytically.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yeah I’m seeing slight declines in straight rogue going from odd to even levels. There should be zero change, but of course this is a simulation with random numbers so anything is possible. I’ll dig around; it might be a bug or it could just be statistical variation.

Or....I could throw out the simulation and just do it analytically.
If I remember correctly, the odds for any roll of N with trivantage is 3(N^2-N)+1 over N^3, if you don’t want to brute force the odds.

CodeFlayer

Explorer
If you have an intractable error, I find constructing a simpler case, whose purpose is to confirm base assumptions/design, can be very helpful.

Your code has many references to specific class/weapons (which is good in terms of features), but may obfuscate the core mechanisms under test - an additional layer may help that encapsulate core mechanisms (if any, and it may be present I just missed it). Of course, I am 5 years late to the 5e party, so please take my thoughts with a good dose of skepticism.

Consider enumerative solutions in some situations, and the best computational thinkers of our age will also have mastery of analytical methods (imo). One can inform the other, and who doesn't love party tricks with statistics?

--CodeFlayer

added note - not a js person, but is was fun to look around !

Remove ads