• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E TROLL racial class for 5 ed

hardware_joe

First Post
Weapon proficiency; natural weapons (1d6), great club
Armor proficiency ; none

Lvl1: darkvision 120', Keen Smell regeneration 1 (+2)
Lvl2: Thick Skin (+2 natural armor)
Lvl3: regeneration 2 (+2)
Lvl4: Monsterous Stature (size increase to large +2con) (1d8 claws)
Lvl5: regeneration 3 (+2)
Lvl6: Monsterous Strength (+2 str)
Lvl7: regeneration 4 (+2)
Lvl8: troll regeneration (+2) [10 total]

[Regeneration] +x when no armor is worn. Acid or Fire negates the effect for the following round.
[Thick Skin] +2 natural armor when wearing no armor.
[Monsterous Stature] You are large natural weapons increase 1 die size.
[Troll Regeneration] regeneration now functions while wearing light or medium armor. Acid and fire function the same.

Croesus

Adventurer
Interesting idea. Not sure I'd allow it in my campaign, as I'm not a fan of races as classes, but it seems to capture the feel of the creature. A couple comments:

Regeneration: I don't understand why regeneration should be blocked by wearing armor.

Thick Skin: Should be re-written as "While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 12 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit." That's the standard language in the PHB, which avoids issues of whether such AC bonuses stack with mage armor and other spells/abilities.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

Weapon proficiency; natural weapons (1d6), great club
Armor proficiency ; none

Lvl1: darkvision 120', Keen Smell regeneration 1 (+2)
Lvl2: Thick Skin (+2 natural armor)
Lvl3: regeneration 2 (+2)
Lvl4: Monsterous Stature (size increase to large +2con) (1d8 claws)
Lvl5: regeneration 3 (+2)
Lvl6: Monsterous Strength (+2 str)
Lvl7: regeneration 4 (+2)
Lvl8: troll regeneration (+2) [10 total]

[Regeneration] +x when no armor is worn. Acid or Fire negates the effect for the following round.
[Thick Skin] +2 natural armor when wearing no armor.
[Monsterous Stature] You are large natural weapons increase 1 die size.
[Troll Regeneration] regeneration now functions while wearing light or medium armor. Acid and fire function the same.

It's heavily front-loaded. There's not much difference between regeneration 1 and troll regeneration +2. Basically everything good about this class happens at level 1, and from there on out you might as well just be a Troll 1/Barbarian X.

That means it should just be a race, not a class at all.

hardware_joe

First Post
It's heavily front-loaded. There's not much difference between regeneration 1 and troll regeneration +2. Basically everything good about this class happens at level 1, and from there on out you might as well just be a Troll 1/Barbarian X.

That means it should just be a race, not a class at all.
The regeneration is meant to be cumulative. For atotal of +10

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
For a Troll race, I would like to see a more Norse/Scandinavian feel.

The Troll are Fey.

Can grow to any size, from Medium to Large to Huge (leveling options), occasionally even be Small.

Charisma is the primary ability, for spellcasting (the word ‘troll’ literally means ‘witch’, ‘bewitcher’), or more specifically psionic mind-affecting spells. Charisma is usually for Intimidation, but is occasionally for Persuasion. Troll can be hideous, and terrifying (Thurs / Tusse). But Troll can also be beautiful. The Mountain Troll (Berg Risi) who lives underground under mountains, the Forest Troll (Hulder, typically female) who live in the forests, and the River Troll (Fosse Grim, typically male), are all known for their supernatural beauty and seductive enchantments.

Strength is also central to all Troll. Among the Troll who look human, the ability to bend iron is often proof of their nonhuman nature.

The Green Troll is a kind of Troll, kind of like a mutant cousin, descending from the more hideous variety, it is known for its Constitution and regeneration.

Remove ads