• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Troupe of the Painted Soul IC!

squirrel

First Post
I believe I can trust these people for now, otherwise Jasper wouldn't have hired them, but we'll see. Later, I'll have to see what I can dig up about Jasper, since it seems we all know nothing about him yet knows much about us, and the street always talks.

Dembrilion follows Christian and Carrie inside the Starline, and from habit he makes a scan of the crowd looking for anyone who seems out of place and marking places to exit if he needs to leave in a hurry.

Last edited:

hellbender

First Post
Zinovii strides in after making sure he has daggers handy under his cloak. He shrugs off any derisive stares at his elf-ness and tries to jostle a seat with his back to a wall if possible.

Neowolf

First Post
Along the way, Kail tosses a few silver in the direction of some of the rattier looking beggars, and gives a flinty-eyed look at the armed ones.

Charity never killed anyone.

Once in the inn, Kail takes a seat with his back to the wall. He orders a small, but adequate, meal and eyes the other patrons while pretending to listen to his companions' conversation.

(OOC: Spot +10 when we get inside)

dave_o

Explorer
Coldly, Alric simply ignores Christian's question - stomping away in a mood befitting his attire - black.

Within, the tavern and inn is quite gorgeous. The door opens into a large common room, littered with marble tables fixed to the floor, gorgeous, padded oak chairs, and people laughing, eating, talking. Above, there's an open balcony all the way around to the second storey, and again to the third, leaving a cavernous ceiling. The lighting gradually dims the higher one looks, until the ceiling itself is painted black with faintly glowing stars in blue and white. Shortly, a short, pert serving girl walks up, and seats you all at a farther table.

She brings food quickly, and the faire is really quite good. Smiling, and leaving a small ceramic cup in the center of the table for payment and tips, she gestures a slender hand upward, "If you'll be needing rooms, however many, just let me know." With that, she bows slightly, and makes her way to new arrivals.

The patrons of the place are mostly merchants - drunk, cosmopolitan merchants. They are loud, and raucious, but seem to pose no threat. Throughout the place in small clusters are what you presume are travelling, well off mercenaries, from the weapons belted at their sides and backs. One patron, however, makes your heart stop. He wears close-fitting black pants and shirt, with a long, crimson cape draped behind him, stopping just above his boots. Long, silken black hair follows his severe face closely, and his short, black beard hides his features - save for those cold, blue eyes. An incredibly ornate crossbow dangles from his belt, and after he leaves with an unintentional cape flourish, you realize that this man is an Inquisitor. That is, an agent dispatched by the Empire to track and kill those who practice the arcane beyond most hedge wizardry. In years of late, the Emperor has seemed to have grown paranoid of casters not in his thrall.

At his leave, however, none seem to be a direct threat - and the evening is nice.

OOC: Dembrilion, in the way of apparent exits, there is, of course, the door you came through. You assume each suite would have a window, as well as there being some sort of back enterance to bring kitchen supplies, VIPs, etc.

Carrie smiles at she look sat the feast in front of her, a foot kept underneath the table on her basket in case anyone would think of opening it. "Mmm..." she says through a mouthful of food-she's eating a bit too quickly for a 'proper' lady, but of course she really was a long shot away from that.

She drowns herself with some wine and then starts, "This is really good stuff, you've got to try it." She motions towards the potatoes, "I haven't eaten for a week." She mentions. Probably getting weird stares now, she finally notices after stuffing her mouth once more.

"Ah," she says, lifting up her right hand and showing a silver ring that adorned her middle finger, "It's magical, I really don't need to eat if I have to-but I do miss the pleasures of food." She then wipes her mouth a little with her other hand.

"All this black garb really makes me feel gloomy, and not to mention all these fat pigs lying around." She comments, "Oh well, that's not really our problem, I guess..." Carrie looks around for anyone listening on to their conversation quickly before continuing, "So, what do you think of this boss-guy? He seems a little suspicious to me, but I'm sure we can trust him for now."

squirrel

First Post
Dembrilion keeps slight tabs on Inquisitor as long as he is there, and relaxes a bit once he leaves. I fear we must keep an eye on his lot.

Seated at the table, Dembrilion takes a modest portion for himself, sipping wine as it was proper in the house that he spent part of his childhood in, some habits are just hard to lose. After Carrie explains what she meant, "Quite the useful item."

"He seems trust worthy for now, but we know nothing about him, and he seems to know an awful lot about us. He has some really good connections it seems."

Last edited:

apocalypstick

First Post
Christian leans back in his seat, holding a plum in one hand and a tankard of good ale in the other, as he listens to the Troupe speak. He arches a quizzical eyebrow at Carrie’s comment, and then a slight grin when the conversation turns to Jasper.

{OOC: Does Christian know anything more about Jasper than what has already been revealed? Bardic Knowledge +8}

“Does it really matter?” he asks the others, his voice light and unconcerned. “He says he’ll pay, for one; two, if nothing else, he has drawn us five together.” He takes a long pull of his tankard, continuing; “and we all have common cause, do we not?”

{Christian will Sense Motive +9 on the responses of the other PCs, just to make sure that he’s on the same wavelength as everyone else.}

"The pay's decent, but I perfer to be paid by the deed-after all, we really don't know just how much work we'll be doing." Carrie replies with honesty, "At least it looks like things won't be that boring around here." She smiles, closing her eyes for a moment and then opening them to look at her companions, a wild flicker showing in them for just a moment.

"And even though I only glanced at the charter briefly, he didn't pay us to not ask questions." Carrie continues, mischief finding a place in her voice, "Or stop us from finding out the answers by ourselves."

"That said I don't plan on doing much sleeping tonight." She foreshadows slightly as she flashes her ring-hand for a moment again. "But I wouldn't worry too much, I can handle myself pretty well."

Last edited:

squirrel

First Post
Leaning back and considering what Christian just said to everyone, Dembrilion takes a quick scan to make sure no one is taking too much notice of our conversation and table.

{ooc: Spot +11}

Dembrilion goes on keeping a neutral face and says with a matter of fact tone, "We do have a common cause, and being payed for our jobs is an added bonus for the joy that we will spread through our act."

Dembrilion loses himself in thought for a moment. Still it bothers me about how much he might know of me. Does he know where I came from?

"I agree, about finding the answers ourselves. Maybe one of us will find some answers that will shine light upon the mystery that is Jasper. Though we must be careful, it seems that none of us knows this town very well, and we will not want any trouble."

Last edited:

Neowolf

First Post
Kail looks at the group (probably for the first time since the meal started) and says, "The pay I could care less about. The cause however interests me greatly. As for this "spreading of joy," I'll leave that to those more suited."

Having said his peace, Kail lifts his tankard and takes a drink of the ale.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads