D&D General TSR to WoTC shift--OR--the de-prioritization on Exploration spells/classes

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've always run it that it makes a wooshing sound (like when a gas stove ignites). Which isn't soundless, but is hardly loud either. The armored guards falling over is still more than likely the primary consideration as to whether anyone hears anything (the same as sleep).

In 5e we have several spells, like Thunderwave, that explicitly call out that they're audible at 300 feet. Fireball has no such rule, and in point of fact the 5e PHB describes it as a low roar, so clearly even in 5e fireballs are not intended to be loud spells.
I mentioned above how we won't ever have total agreement and that's OK, but you will never convince me that "it's a stretch to think sleep is more discreet than a fireball."

First you said it didn't list any sound, then you say a low roar (so that changed). A low roar is still a roar. And an explosion (it says that too) is still an explosion. I'm sorry, but I find it a bit silly to argue that sleep is not more discreet than a fireball.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It doesn't say that. And since sleep doesn't require an attack roll nor does it have a saving throw, it wouldn't be considered an attacking spell regardless.

the 5e invisibility spell explicitly ends if the target of it casts a spell period (attacking with a spell, or intent to harm, is not a factor):

1670861601940.png

So yes, sleep would break it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
the 5e invisibility spell explicitly ends if the target of it casts a spell period (attacking with a spell, or intent to harm, is not a factor):

View attachment 269491

So yes, sleep would break it.
They were asking about 1e, not 5e. If you read my post above that, for 5e I myself said any spell breaks invisibility, which would mean any spell is a combat spell by Lanfan's argument.

Remove ads