TTRPGs with simultaneous instead of turn-based combat

When it comes to ttrpgs I've only ever played games where combat is turn-based. I understand why that's the case. It seems much easier than the alternative. But are there ttrpgs that have attempted simultaneous combat?

I'd also appreciate any games that don't have combat, but the main "action" of the game is simultaneous. Racing, building, social, etc. focused games seem like they could have simultaneous action, but I don't have any examples of such a thing.

Reynard

Legend
When it comes to ttrpgs I've only ever played games where combat is turn-based. I understand why that's the case. It seems much easier than the alternative. But are there ttrpgs that have attempted simultaneous combat?

I'd also appreciate any games that don't have combat, but the main "action" of the game is simultaneous. Racing, building, social, etc. focused games seem like they could have simultaneous action, but I don't have any examples of such a thing.
Some games -- Hackmaster and Aces and Eights, both from KenzerCo., come to mind -- use a second by second clock that is about as close to "simultaneous" as you can probably get at a table. So, for example, it might take 4 second to swing your sword and 3 seconds to cast a quick spell but 10 seconds to cast a more powerful one, and so on. The GM just counts of seconds and when your wait time comes up you act, say what you are doing next, and keep going like that.

Some games -- Hackmaster and Aces and Eights, both from KenzerCo., come to mind -- use a second by second clock that is about as close to "simultaneous" as you can probably get at a table. So, for example, it might take 4 second to swing your sword and 3 seconds to cast a quick spell but 10 seconds to cast a more powerful one, and so on. The GM just counts of seconds and when your wait time comes up you act, say what you are doing next, and keep going like that.
That sounds a lot like how crpgs like dragon age or baldur's gate work. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
For combat, D&D (1974) uses Chainmail which contains the “Simultaneous Movement System” as an alternative to the “Move/Counter Move System” for turn sequence. In fact, melees in the Chainmail mass combat rules are resolved simultaneously no matter which of the above systems are being used. Only when using the man-to-man rules is an order of resolution given for melees based on weapon speed among some other considerations.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Attempted and succeeded, if you ask me.

Modos RPG has three modes of "main action" (excluding role-play). 1) Simple conflict can be very simultaneous - PC vs. GM roll determines quality of outcome. 2) Extended conflict can be racing, building, etc. It uses turns to establish priority, not whether a character can act. 3) Combat-module extended conflict lets characters use 3 actions whenever they want - as an instigating action on their turns, or as reactions during other turns. Check it out:

Remove ads