Tumbling to flank

creepy

First Post
The tumbling variant isn't an opposed roll but rather a reflex save. The tumbler still needs to make the appropriate roll to tumble w/o AoO but with the variant all opponents would get a ref save to ignore the tumble and still make an AoO. The DC for the Ref save is the result of the tumble roll. So if you have +14 to your tumble check you can still get attacked when you tumble past an opponent. It won't happen often but it can happen

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
BTW: If the rogue does manage to tumble past the fighter and flank him and yet doesn't kill him, the fighter should concentrate all his attack on the rogue until he's dead.

It's only common sense and good tactic to focus all your attacks on the opponent with the lowest AC, HP and yet who does a disproportionate amount of damage.

In my experience it takes luck or a very good CON for a rogue to be able to withstand even a single fullround attack from a determined fighter.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
nothing would scare the living feces out of the party like a small cadre of fighter/rogues tumbling into the fray, flanking and sneak attacking with psychotic fury.

And of course, they should all be Duck Hengeyokai...

Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoo!

You're deththththth-picable.

-Hyp.

Altalazar

First Post
I agree with the posters who said you really need to allow that flanking because there are characters that depend on it greatly.

Also, my general philosophy fits with the specific examples listed here - when situations are tight or difficult, that merits an increase to a DC, not an outright ban. After all, PCs need to have a good reason to pump certain skills up into the 20s.

Or as is illustrated by my usual response to the question by a player 'can I do so-and-so wild maneuver?'
My answer: 'You can try...'

the Jester

Legend
Flanking occurs whenever two characters are on opposite sides of the same enemy and they threaten it. Unless you wouldn't allow that character an AoO because their tumbling somehow left them flat footed I'd say reverse that ruling.

I agree with the general consensus here: increase the DC.

eXodus

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

And of course, they should all be Duck Hengeyokai...

Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoo!

You're deththththth-picable.

-Hyp.

dethhhh-picable?!

how dare you?!

you just have to keep those pesky pcs on their toes. they think they can tumble about and sneak attack?

well you will show them a thing or two, now won't you!?

it is you vs. them. and you had better dog-damned win!!!!!

oh yes. you had better win.

Ruvion

First Post
I think eXodus was being sarcastic... ;)

And I must agree with the general consus as well. I dont wanna power down monks and rogues (however realistic it may seem to do so :D ). Thank you all!

Remove ads