TUW: The Outpost

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Lying by the campfire, using a splintered bone to clean his teeth Adi begins to tell a story to his comrades. So I heard this story once...of three brothers. Paco Jocko and Marco. Paco was short and a bit pudgy, and only enjoyed sitting at home, day dreaming and writing poetry. He was quite lazy. Jocko was industrious and could always be found assisting the town's artisans in whatever help they needed. He would help the blacksmith with simple projects and them go help the local mason build a wall. He never stayed in any one place long, because he grew bored easily, but was willing to work hard. Marco was the smart one. He spent time with the mayor and the elders. Always listening, he read incessantly. Always learning about the law, because one day he wanted to grow up and be a politician

One day Paco gets a wild idea. Today, he said, I will go to the river and observe the water flow by, and I will scribe a sonnet of its magnificence. So Paco goes to the river and finds a refreshing spot beneath an oak covered in Spanish moss. As he is watching the water flow by a beautiful woman rises out of the water. He translucent dress leaving little to the imagination. In one had she holds grapes and in the other a plate of bread. She beckons Paco to approach. Being the wide eyed romantic that he is, Paco can't resist. He stands and approaches the beautiful creature. As he walks over he tries to woo her with his words. Paco de La Tierra, at your service...although, surely a creature blessed with such beauty needs little in the way of assistance, you would command a thousand men with the promise of gazing on your visage. The siren giggles, emitting a sound so heavenly Paco is instantly enraptured. She leans forward and whispers in his ear. In my right hand I hold grapes that will transport you to a world where you will want for nothing and will feel content forever, but you will never come back to this life. In my left hand I hold fine wine, one drink will make you rich beyond imagination, but be surrounded by women you will never love. Without giving it another thought, Paco eats a grape and is transported to a place of eternal bliss, where he will want for nothing.

The next day Jocko tires of working and thinks to himself, I will go to the river and relax. The flowing of the water will rejuvenate me and prepare me for another day of work. So Jocko finds the same tree that Paco found the day before. After an hour or so the beautiful woman returns. This time she is dressed as an artisan would be dressed, although the materials are fine, and form fitting so that the beauty of her form was evident. In one hand she holds the grapes, in the other she holds a tool belt. Once again the woman beckons Jocko to join her. Jocko, not being terribly suave, but full of confidence, introduces himself. Hello, my sweet. I am Jocko De la Tierra, are you perchance an adherent of religion? Because you are the answer to all my prayers. Jocko, laughs at his wit. The Siren giggles and blushes as if she were a naive milk maid. She leans in and whispers to Jocko, In my right hand I hold grapes that will transport you to a world where you will want for nothing and will feel content forever, but you will never come back to this life. In my left hand I hold a tool belt, you will remain here, you will toil and be supremely satisfied with all of your creations, but be surrounded by women you will never love. Without thought, Jocko eats a grape, and is transported to a place of eternal bliss where he will want for nothing.

The day after was Saturday, and although Marco would much rather have been in the presence of the powerful. he takes the day and heads to the river, finding a relaxing spot under an Oak tree covered in Spanish moss. After and hour the beautiful woman appears again. This time she is dressed in the robes of a wise philosopher, as usually the robes are not flowing, but form fitting. The shape of her body evident, even to a casual observer. In one hand she holds the grapes that Paco and Jocko chose. In the other she holds a scroll. Not being interested in much else but propriety and moral rectitude, Marco approaches the woman and addresses her seriously. Good day, Madam. My name is Marco de la Tierra, I am at your service The woman responds appropriately, bowing in return, she does not give her name but simply replies. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. With a tone of a person speaking of serious terms, she continues. In my right hand I hold grapes that will transport you to a world where you will want for nothing and will feel content forever, but you will never come back to this life. In my left hand I hold a scroll, you will remain here, you will carry on with all wisdom, and become a powerful man, but you will be surrounded by women you will never love. Without hesitation Marco chooses the scroll, the woman bows and disappears for the last time. Marco lived out his days, devoid of the love of a woman, but satisfied that he helped forge the great empire we live in today.

A big grin forms on Adi's face...The moral of the story, my friends is that 2 out of 3 people enjoy grapes. Adi throws his head back and laughs at his great joke, having held his friends enraptured with a story with such a ridiculous ending.

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk smirks, but mutters under his breath (yet loud enough for everyone to hear):

"Adi and his silly"shaggy dog" jokes"All the while shaking his head in mock disgust.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar chuckles over Adi's story but the whisp of smoke in the air catches his attention. "We should go investigate," he proposes to the group.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka laughs, and throws a piece of rabbit meat at Adi's head, jokingly. "Your story was terrible," Maka teases. "if she were a real Siren, she would have simply devoured them all."

OOC: Die Roll for throwing the rabbit meat: 83.

Taylar said:
"...We should go investigate,"

"Agreed," Maka says. "You guys stay here, I will go and have a look. If they're hostile, it will be easier for one person to approach unseen, rather than the whole group."

And with that, Maka heads South, into the treeline of the forest, toward the source of the smoke, trying to be as stealthy as possible.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lying by the campfire, using a splintered bone to clean his teeth Adi begins to tell a story to his comrades. So I heard this story once...
Vittero laughs.
"Oh you!"
He then throws the remains of his pasty biscuit at Adi.

Maka laughs, and throws a piece of rabbit meat at Adi's head, jokingly. "Your story was terrible," Maka teases. "if she were a real Siren, she would have simply devoured them all."
OOC: GM NOTE:
No need to make dice rolls for role-play mock combat maneuvers.

Maka says.
Tellerian Hawke said:
"You guys stay here, I will go and have a look. If they're hostile, it will be easier for one person to approach unseen, rather than the whole group."
Vittero offers.
"Do not try to get too close. Just get us a visual and return. Do not put yourself in imminent danger."
Maka moves quickly, yet quietly, traveling in spurts to seem more an animal than a person, incase his steps are heard by another. He does not risk getting too close, but makes a quick observation then returns to the rest of the crew.

Maka is gone for about half an hour before returning to explain that it is a small party of tall, thin men and woman with black chromatic skin. With general knowledge of the peoples of the land, the crew deduces that this a band of Kaalatala. The Kaalatala are one of the 3 tribes of peoples known to be cannibalistic and inexplicably hostile.
OOC: GM NOTE:
Before everyone begins thinking that the wilds is populated entirely by cannibals, it is not. They are just most frequently encountered because of their continuous nomadic life and their lack of fear of other people.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar listens to Maka's description of the Kaalatala and his grip tightens on his baton. "So. More cannibals. I do not know what possesses people to prey on their own kind, but I know it disgusts me. We shall put an end to their butchery, and spare some poor soul in the future a place by the fire, so to speak. Since we know the Kaalatala to be predictably hostile, we can lure them into a trap. I wish to test my skills at sneaking this time. I will lie in wait to strike if someone else is willing to get their attention."

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Adi is still laughing and unable to effectively defend himself when the meat and biscuit make contact.

The next evening when the group sees the smoke, Adi comments. "I would also like to practice my skills at sneaking. If someone could distract them, Taylar and I could flank from different sides."

Last edited by a moderator:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk, while his mates are food-fighting and tossing jibes at each other, sees a small vole near him. He picks it up and uses Way to see if he can speak, or at least empathize with the little varmint. Loving most all animals, he always has wanted to try this. all the while, though, he wonders if he can reach out to plants, too.

MacConnell

Day 216: Raven Elk

Raven Elk, while his mates are food-fighting and tossing jibes at each other, sees a small vole near him. He picks it up and uses Way to see if he can speak, or at least empathize with the little varmint. Loving most all animals, he always has wanted to try this. all the while, though, he wonders if he can reach out to plants, too.
[sblock=Animal Kinship]Effectiveness:
  • Empathy (Divination Task)
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial + d100
This active task represents watching and listening to animals to determine their intentions or motivation.
Raven Elk: 20(empathy) + 15(AK) + 90(d100) = 125[/sblock]
GM: The first impression Raven Elk gets is, of course, panic, since a wild animal has just been captured by a potential threat. After a few seconds, the vole's emotion changes to contentment, as it is warm and comfortable in Raven Elk's hands. Lastly, after a few more seconds, the vole becomes hungry and Raven Elk sets it free.

MacConnell

Day 217: Making Plans

Taylar listens to Maka's description of the Kaalatala and his grip tightens on his baton. "So. More cannibals. I do not know what possesses people to prey on their own kind, but I know it disgusts me. We shall put an end to their butchery, and spare some poor soul in the future a place by the fire, so to speak. Since we know the Kaalatala to be predictably hostile, we can lure them into a trap. I wish to test my skills at sneaking this time. I will lie in wait to strike if someone else is willing to get their attention."
Adi comments. I would also like to practice my skills at sneaking. If someone could distract them, Taylar and I could flank from different sides.
Vittero offers.
"I will be the bait this time. I should still be able to attack first anyway. Hopefully I can get off at least 2 arrows before any might get to me. Let's get to this before it get too dark. I will move directly toward their camp at a slow walk, not making it too obvious but not trying to be quiet either.

What do you think? I will give the rest of you to the count of 300 before I start moving
."

Remove ads