• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

RPGs TUW: The Outpost

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka Investigates

Maka doesn't try to communicate with the man; the questions that puzzle him are too complex, given the limited amount of speech that the man possesses. Instead, he directs his comment to Vittero.

Maka asks, "Does he want us to clean up the bodies and take them back to The Outpost? Does he want us to find the people who did this? What of the child? Is he certain that the child is dead? If not, the child might be a slave to whomever killed his parents. I will take a look around, and see what tracks remain."

OOC: Maka carefully searches the area for tracks and signs, any indication as to who or what might have done this, and where they might have went. He looks for torn pieces of clothing, blood, dropped or discarded objects, tracks, claw marks, bite marks, signs of weapon trauma on the bodies, signs of specific usage (i.e., things that would have required opposable thumbs to accomplish, for instance), etc. Maka is VERY METICULOUS in his search.
 

Waynan

Explorer
While Maka is investigating the bodies and the grounds, Raven Elk focuses on Way to Speak with Spirits and try to question the remaining essence of the deceased as to what happened to them and their child.
 

Kwargrow

Explorer
After seeing the vultures leaving the scene, Taylar only gives the bodies a cursory glance. He does not think it would be possible to tell what killed them after the decay and the work of the carrion birds. Plus the big man does not want to admit that the sight of the dead horrifies him.

Taylar focuses his search on the rickshaw, trying to determine how the wheel was broken and if any objects can still be found inside. He checks for tracks around the abandoned conveyance or for any clue as to who did this.

After he hears the conversation of the others he calls out to Liam, "Would you like us to bury them or burn them? Cause we're not taking them with us." He uses hand motions to make his intentions clearer.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 197: Doldrums 47: Death by the Road

Adi approaches the man and uses simple words and gestures to get across his question.
Do you know if they were robbed? And the child's body is gone... did you see it when you were here last?
The man, who is hunched over holding his mouth and is stomach, stands and wipes his face. He refuses to look back in the direction of his brother's body.
"Yes, only the broken cart remains. They had a horse to pull the cart, too. It is hard to see now, but everything they had was taken, even most of their clothes. I am sorry. I do nor remember about the child. He was small, 4 years old."

Maka asks,
"Does he want us to clean up the bodies and take them back to The Outpost? Does he want us to find the people who did this? What of the child? Is he certain that the child is dead?...
Vittero pops the knuckles of his hands, then answers back in Thisidan.
"I have no idea. From the stench, I would say that we will not be moving anything. I imagine that he suspects his brother and family were killed by people, the animals came upon the corpses later. Perhaps the morning light will give us a better idea."

Tellerian Hawke said:
Maka carefully searches the area...
GM: Maka holds his breath for as long as he can, working in intervals. He is frustrated by his inability to see more clearly.

While Maka is investigating the bodies and the grounds, Raven Elk focuses on Way to Speak with Spirits and try to question the remaining essence of the deceased as to what happened to them and their child.
GM: Working through his own custom of a ritual, Raven Elk closes his eyes to make his mind more astute. He can sense the other people around him. He can sense small insects and reptiles as if the spirits to whom he is adhering are proving the knowledge, but he cannot sense the anything of the bodies that lie just off the road. Had he not seen them for himself, his mind at this moment of clarity would deny they were even there.

Though disappointed, what Raven Elk does understand is that for no residue to remain of the bodies or the violence, the deed had to have occurred more than four days previously. Perhaps with more practice, in time, he can call upon the spirits to delve further backward.

OOC: GM NOTE:
As a novice task, Raven Elk can sense a corpse, even if hidden from view, but it cannot be more than 4 days dead. An attempt to delve into the actual spirits is a mastery level task and will come with time. From the character's point of view, it will seem that as he gains experience he is able to divine more from the spirits.

...Taylar focuses his search on the rickshaw, trying to determine how the wheel was broken and if any objects can still be found inside. He checks for tracks around the abandoned conveyance or for any clue as to who did this.
GM: Looking at the broken wheel, it appears as if wear and fatigue took their toll, and the wheel simply lost a spoke which shortly ruined its function entirely.

After he hears the conversation of the others he calls out to Liam, "Would you like us to bury them or burn them? Cause we're not taking them with us."[/QUOTE]
The man looks confused for second, but then seems to understand.
"Yes. Bury. That would be nice. Dangerous to burn in the grasses."

GM: In the morning light after the man has departed back for the Outpost, the crew gains new insight to the grizzly scene laid out before them. Like Raven Elk but with different semantics, Vittero tries to sense things about the scene, other than the terrible stench.

Taylar confirms his previous suspicion that the fate of the cart was accidental. The death of the people, definitely, was not. The people were killed quite some days ago, likely even before Liam began to look for them. It appears that there was some attempt to make do with the defective wheel.

Maka locates what he thinks is where the child once lay. Significant evidence indicates that the entire body was carried of by jackals. The larger dead remained for the vultures. There is absolutely nothing of the people's belonging remaining, not even clothing.

After thorough searches by everyone in the crew, the two separate pieces of a single broken arrow is located. The arrow head is made of stone, indicating that the deed was likely committed by some indigenous peoples rather than bandits, but as to which tribe no one knows. At this time of year, the culprits should have been crossing the road from south to north and would have continued further north after game.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
In the morning Taylar will help dig, suggesting one grave instead of two to simplify the process. He uses his club to break apart the rickshaw to make a grave marker for the people. "It won't last for long, but everyone deserves something to show where they lay."

After that chore is finished he asks his friends, "What about the jackals that took the boy's body? If they acquired a taste for people it might make them dangerous to others. Should we go after them to put them down?"

He examines the arrow pieces to see if he can determine who made them. Getting an idea he holds the pieces out to Raven Elk and says, "I noticed you were communing with the spirits earlier. If you held the arrow in your hand would the spirits be able to tell you about the one that shot it?"
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 198: Doldrums 48: The Morning Light

In the morning Taylar will help dig, suggesting one grave instead of two to simplify the process. He uses his club to break apart the rickshaw to make a grave marker for the people.
"It won't last for long, but everyone deserves something to show where they lay."
Vittero does not know if burial is the custom of the man who hired them, but Taylar's conviction to the approach is enough. He uses a piece of broken wood from the cart to dig what hole he can. He also uses the wood to move the remains, not wanting the horrific stench to remain on his skin.

After that chore is finished (Taylar) asks his friends,
Kwargrow said:
"What about the jackals that took the boy's body? If they acquired a taste for people it might make them dangerous to others. Should we go after them to put them down?"
GM: Maka, due to the knowledge of his tribe and their proficiency with hunting, is able to provide insight to Taylar's query. He explains that unlike wolves or coyotes, jackals are mostly scavengers and, rather than kill, will eat almost anything that is already dead. They likely came upon the people a day or so after their death when the stench started to rise. He eases Taylar's concern by adding that they are more like the vultures, they just happen to be canines.

(Taylar) examines the arrow pieces to see if he can determine who made them. Getting an idea he holds the pieces out to Raven Elk and says,
Kwargrow said:
"I noticed you were communing with the spirits earlier. If you held the arrow in your hand would the spirits be able to tell you about the one that shot it?"
GM: Raven Elk does not know if the spirits are yet willing to impart such information, but he is inspired to try. After several minutes of quiet internalization Raven Elk opens his eyes as if a bit startled. He explains that he believes he received actual information, even though it is not much. He feels certain that the original perpetrators, by Way of this arrow, are Aedaman, not Faethrin and not Mhytre. It is not as detailed as the group would have hoped, but it something.

With some general knowledge of the peoples of the land, the suspects are narrowed even further. Since no manipulation of Way is evident and only mundane means were employed, the crew deduces that either a clan of Evipaun or Nishurin should be responsible, as both are known for hostile behavior.
 
Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
After asking his questions, while his friends are investigating...Adi begins an attempt to distract the man from his sorrow... Have you heard the one about the toothless housewife and the three legged dog? but the language barrier and a sense that perhaps silence is better than empty words stops him.Never mind, perhaps another time. Adi stands next to the man facing away from the graves and pulls some smoked meat from his belt pack. He offers Liam a piece. After a moment walks a pace away and draws three fist sized circles on the dirt. He gathers ten pebbles and offers five of them to the man. Adi tosses a pebble, it lands on the edge of the middle circle. He gestures for the man to give it a try.

In the morning after the man leaves Adi helps prepare and bury the bodies.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Game Moderator said:
Since no manipulation of Way is evident and only mundane means were employed, the crew deduces that either a clan of Evipaun or Nishurin should be responsible, as both are known for hostile behavior.
Maka offers his opinion, "If it were Evipau, or Nishuri, then we must be cautious. No doubt, they will be well-armed, even if few in number. However, I don't believe that we should let this pass. I care not about the money; the people who did this should answer for it. And I don't mean in terms of vindication; my people do not believe in such things. They killed these people because they were easy prey, and because they wanted their belongings, and perhaps they enjoy an easy kill.

I enjoy good fight, and fighting these people will be an excellent test of my courage and strength. All of us are strong, but until we truly taste battle, we will remain boys. Fighting bugs isn't good enough. Fighting these people will help us become men. Fighting these people will make us into warriors, though I need no such reason to track them down. Those that prefer to prey upon the weak represent a plague upon society. They may be men, but they are no better than mere bugs
."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 198 - 201: Doldrums 48 - 51: Northward

OOC: GM NOTE:
As an oversight on my part, I did not clarify the wealth status of the victims, but Liam would have done so, as it is important to the situation. In hindsight, Liam would have explained that other than the horse for the rickshaw, he doubts that his brother would have had anything of real value with him, as they are, or were, both laborers in Boga City. It made the man more distraught to think that this family was killed for a mere horse.

GM: Looking about the landscape, there is no definitive trail here to follow. The comings and goings of the jackals would have ruined any chance of discovering one anyway, though it stands to reason that the perpetrators would likely have traveled due north so as to keep them from venturing to near the mining ravines that would bring them into contact with armed miners and possible Thisidan soldiers.

Using the extra horse left by the man as a pack animal, the crew fans out to cover more ground when looking for any sign that might confirm their suspicion. By chance, it is Taylar who finds what he things is the distinctive print of a horse, only a few dozen paces from the scene of the carnage. The others observe the print and agree. Confidence is bolstered that the chosen direction is correct, and the crew marches on.

Traveling in the same direction for the first day, the only uncommon encounter comes just a hour before the party is preparing to make camp. A covey of large game bird is spooked from the tall grasses, and the archers of the group manage to fell one.

The second day only produces rabbits. The party can only hope that they are moving in the right direction while surrounded in a sea of grasses.

The third day, about an hour into travel, everyone notices several fresh dirt hills like would be made by meerkats, but none of the social grassland rodents can be seen, which is extremely strange. The hillocks are off to the left, a few paces, from the regular direction of travel.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka says,
Something is not right. The Meerkats have all gone to ground. They only hide when danger is near.”

And with that, Maka draws his bow, and moves to investigate in a crouching stance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Waynan

Explorer
Raven Elk thinks Maka may be right. He grabs his spear and shield, saying:
"Maka, wait for me. I'm going with you."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Adisakti moves to the right of Maka and Raven in a flanking maneuver. He holds his quarter staff in both hands with it crossing his body, ready to strike if necessary.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kwargrow

Explorer
Reacting to the others, Taylar readies his club. On a whim he places his palm down on the ground to see if he can feel any vibrations from the earth.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 201: Doldrums 51: Missing Meerkats

Maka says,
Something is not right. The Meerkats have all gone to ground. They only hide when danger is near.”
And with that, Maka draws his bow, and moves to investigate in a crouching stance.

Raven Elk thinks Maka may be right. He grabs his spear and shield, saying:
"Maka, wait for me. I'm going with you."
Adisakti moves to the right of Maka and Raven in a flanking maneuver. He holds his quarter staff in both hands with it crossing his body, ready to strike if necessary.

Reacting to the others, Taylar readies his club. On a whim he places his palm down on the ground to see if he can feel any vibrations from the earth.

As Adisakti flanks to the right, Vittero moves left to cover the other flank.
GM:
OOC: Hunting:

  • Sense Animal (Collegiate Task) +
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial
This active task is applied to finding and identifying animals by their passage. The specificity of the information known is determined by the rarity of the animal.
Sense Animal
:
Range:
  • Cohesion + Persona
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Cohesion +
  • Collegiate
Resistance:
  • Inversion
This active Basic task is used to detect a specific type of animal within the effective range. The type of animal must be in mind and can be as specific as male grizzly bear or as general as game animal, but some specificity is necessary, as trying to sense all animals would generally create overload, due to the number of small insects and such that could be within range. Lack of specificity would only be useful in a barren situation. This task will not detect people, but will locate sentient animals like coatls or dragons. This is, also, applied as a passive Basic technique to the Commercial task of Hunting.

Taylar: 10(sense) + 9(hunt) + 74(d100) = 93%

Taylar can feel no movement, at all. He gets the impression that there are no meerkats in this burrow system, and with good reason. Hunched down and blending with the yellowed grasses are several large hunting spiders. The spiders are spread out through the burrow system and react to the movement of the people. It appears that the hungry things have decided upon larger prey. It remains to be seen if they have overreached with their appetite.
@Tellerian Hawke:Maka reacts first.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka notices the spiders, and attacks!

OOC: If the spiders look to have a chitinous covering, Maka will attack the nearest one using his bow as a club. If they appear non-chitinous, he will shoot the nearest one in the soft part of its abdomen with an arrow.

GM: The vital parts of all spiders are chitinous.


"Look out, my friends! Spiders!" Maka shouts.

GM: Slight modification to statement, as the spiders are hidden in the grass, not in the burrows.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Adisakti will have to remember to ask Taylar why he knelt before moving in on the bugs. If its some kind of good luck ritual he wants in on it. Adi yells out " Be careful boys, I don't think I can tell someone you were killed by giant spiders with a straight face"

Adi will attempt to break the nearest spider's legs with swift blows from his staff, and then bludgeon it in the head once its immobile.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 201: Doldrums 51: Grass Spiders

Maka notices the spiders, and attacks!
GM: A large bit of luck on the part of Maka goes a long way. Not only does he notice more than one of the hidden spiders, he warns the others to their presence. While the body of the spiders is about twice the size of a man's head, the relaxed coverage of the legs makes the entire creature about a stride (3') wide.

OOC: Maka: 11(fury) + 21(lethality) + 22(attack) + 99(d100) + 87(luck) = 240
Spider: 13(defense) + 75(d100) = 88
Damage: 240 - 88= 152% * 5 = 8
Mind: 7 - 8 = -1: unconscious
Body: 9 - 1 = 8

GM: Reacting well before the spider can even think to launch itself, Maka smacks the thing with his bow before it can move, dazing it completely but unable to, yet, do any real harm.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 201: Doldrums 51: Grass Spiders, part 2

Raven Elk stands ready with shield and spear. As soon as one of those bugs jump out, he'll be ready.
GM: Despite the saving warning from Maka, the spider nearest Raven Elk moves more quickly than he excpected.

OOC: Spider: 27(lethality) + 22(attack) + 75(d100) = 124
Raven Elk: 12(konokoro) + 11(defense) + 87(d100) = 110
Damage: 124 - 110 = 14% * 3 = 0: insignificant

GM: Despite its speed, the spider is unable to make an effective attack. Shaking off the spider with Green Chitin Buckler, Raven Elk attempts to club the thing with his spear.

OOC: Raven Elk: 15(fury) + 20(lethality) + 20(attack) + 87(d100) = 142
Spider: 13(defense) + 27(defend) + 75(d100) = 115
Damage: 142 - 115 = 27% * 10 = 3
Mind: 7 - 3 = 4: slightly dazed

GM: With sufficient recovery, the spider is dealt a slightly dazing blow.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 201: Doldrums 51: Grass Spiders, part 3

Adisakti will attempt to break the nearest spider's legs with swift blows from his staff, and then bludgeon it in the head once its immobile.
GM: Again, despite Maka's timely warning, the spiders moves more quickly than expected.

OOC: Spider: 27(lethality) + 22(attack) + 75(d100) = 124
Adisakti: 12(konokoro) + 10(defense) + 77(d100) = 99
Damage: 124 - 99 = 25% * 3 = 1 - 1(deflect) = 0

GM: The spider is unable to make an effective attack. Rolling with the movement of the spider, Adi whirls his staff in response.

OOC: Adisakti: 11(fury) + 19(lethality) + 18(attack) + 77(d100) = 125
Spider: 13(defense) + 27(defend) + 75(d100) = 115
Damage: 125 - 115 = 10% * 12 = 1
Mind: 7 - 1 = 6

GM: While Adi is able to return strike, his blow is mostly ineffective.
@Kwargrow
Taylar reacts next.
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top