TUW: The Outpost

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka is pleased to be done with the task, and sees the utility of returning to town, but his mind is still on the wilderness, on the sunlight hitting the treetops, on the fresh breeze blowing over the prairie grass. He asks the blacksmith about adding a blade or spike to his bow, and he helps Vittero make jerky out of the extra pork. Once this is done, he will run back to his village for a day or two, to talk with his father about his desire to strike out on his own, and find his grandfather's spirit.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 160: Doldrums 40: The Rest of the Evening

Raven Elk sequesters himself with his Ma, Richelle, to learn more about the Soothe Leaf, the Green Cutter Beetle's head, and more importantly, the sudden sense of what can only be Way.
Raven Elk asks Ma numerous questions and offers many observations about all these things.
GM: Richelle demonstrates her medicinal knowledge of the herb and how to make a concoction. She explains the best uses for the herb.

She is as unfamiliar with the beetle as Raven Elk. She understands that with any beetle, the grubs is usually twice as large as the adult after it first pupates. She also says that generally some long-lived beetles molt like snakes as they age, getting larger with each molting.

When it comes to Raven Elk's last inquiry, his Ma gives a concerned look.
"I knew this day would come. Though I know of its existence, I have no ability to manipulate Way. This talent you have recently manifested is extremely rare. You need to guard its exhibition well, especially from soldiers or clergy from the Kingdom. It is greatly feared by the general public, and many would seek to do you harm or arrange for it. Minister Luminet, Vittero's father, may be able to give you some insight. I will not be able to help you in this matter."

OOC: Some data to help player knowledge:
Plascimon Luminet: Priest of Dawn: Vittero's father.
Mallen Hammerstead: Blacksmith of Outpost: Taylar's father
Yuri Stolichnaya: Master Brewer of Outpost: Adisakti's father
People of the Silent Step: Contracted Hunters: Maka's Clan

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk, taking a little respite from his studies and meditations, also visits Taylar and his father to see how his shield is coming along.

MacConnell

Y 0: D 160-162: Doldrums 40: Smithing and Other Things

Taylar works with his father to design and forge a suitable head for his new war-hammer. He attempts to include a spike opposite the hammer end for piercing and a spike on the tip for thrusting.
Mallen looks at his son's enthusiasm and shakes his head.
"Son, I cannot allocate that much iron to my own personal cause. That amount would be questioned. Also, let me show you something. Hold your baton out in front of you."

He takes a brick of coal, ties a cord to it with a loop, then loops it over the end of the club. Even the simple weight of one brick is enough to cause Taylar to almost lose his hold on the stick, dropping the head until the loop slides off, then jerking the weapon back up in the recoil.
"A hammerhead made of iron, the size of this brick of coal would weigh four times as much."

He then gets Taylar to extend the baton again looping half a brick of coal at the handle and returning the brick to the end. With the counter weight, Taylar is able to hold the weapon effectively.
"I am sure you understand my point. Whatever you want to add to the head, you must provide a balance on the handle. One more thing. You are now bigger than any man I know, and you will grow stronger, even stronger than I am, of that I am certain, but even if you can wield the weight, the heavier you make a weapon the slower its application. There may come a time when you will need to bring this to bear against a trained opponent. At that time, speed will be as vital as power.

Now, enough philosophy for the day. Let us get to work. What I can do, and I suggest for you, son, at this time, is to add to bands of iron to the head and one band of iron to the handle. The bands will give you the effectiveness of a mace. The spikes we will have to do later when we are able to gather more iron.

I also think that I can spare enough to make those caps your friend, Adisakti, was wanting
."
OOC: Weapon updates on character records.

Kwargrow said:
(Taylar)also helps with attaching the carapace pieces to leather backing for any of his friends that want it. He experiments with different ways to buckle and tie the armor pieces on to learn about different body types and how to suitably protect them in battle.
After a bit of show and tell, especially for Richelle since she commissioned the excursion, the crew takes the pieces of chitin to Chass Verticort, the master huntsman. He examines the elitra with awe and admiration.
"These are fine pieces. These green ones are huge. I can heat a small spike, like an awl, and bore holes through these so that they can be attached to clothing, or we could add some straps for a ready buckler.

I will also give you 2 franc each for any of the brown ones and 4 francs for any of the green ones you do not want. Word has gotten to me that the caravans out of Boga City will but them. Apparently some village south of their has developed some profound way to make use of them and will pay top coin
."
OOC: Armor updates pending LINE conversation.

Kwargrow said:
(Taylar) tells the village people about their adventure, exaggerating the size of the insects to ridiculous levels and comically portraying the effect the bug spray had on him.
That night at the tavern, Vittero, being one for attention as well, joins the show. He uses the huge mandibles Taylar saved to mimic the insects. The two carry on to quite an extend to the great humor of the crowd. So much so, that the barkeep gives the crew their drinks for free.
OOC: Party XP will be awarded for providing town entertainment.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Y 0: D 160 - 162: Doldrums 40 - 42: Smithing and Other Things, part 2

Maka is pleased to be done with the task, and sees the utility of returning to town, but his mind is still on the wilderness, on the sunlight hitting the treetops, on the fresh breeze blowing over the prairie grass.
GM: Maka-Mani Heyah Kokipa shakes himself from his day dream. It is hard into the doldrums. There is no breeze; it is hot, and he has not recently traveled through the grassland. It must be the heat.

Tellerian Hawke said:
(Maka) asks the blacksmith about adding a blade or spike to his bow.
Mallen listens to Maka desires. It is obvious that he is making mental images.
"I think I can do these things for you. You will need to provide me the iron or the coin to replace what I would use from the Kingdom's inventory."

Tellerian Hawke said:
(Maka) helps Vittero make jerky out of the extra pork. Once this is done, he will run back to his village for a day or two, to talk with his father about his desire to strike out on his own, and find his grandfather's spirit.
GM: With this much meat still in usable condition, Chass Verticort pays the crew 10 francs. The jerky will make excellent travel rations for the miners.

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk reminds the others that he wanted a buckler. He would also take greaves if they could be made in a way as to not slow him down. Raven Elk then heads back to Ma's to develop his training in the use of Way, away from potential prying eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar nods his head and acquiesces to his father's experience. He says, "When I saw my wood club bounce off that bug's shell I knew I needed something with a little more punch." Taking a few swings with the extra weight he adds, "I thought the heavier it was the stronger it would make me from swinging it."

The spikes we will have to do later when we are able to gather more iron.

Taylar smiles broadly at Mallen says, "So it would be a good thing if we found you lots of iron to use."

MacConnell

Y 0: D 194: Doldrums 44: One Evening

OOC: GM NOTE:
I corrected the date. I did not have the party idle for 32 days.

GM: A couple of evening after returning to town, the crew is gathered together enjoying some of the fine brew produced by Adi's father when a stranger comes into the tavern. It is mid-evening and the tavern patronage is still heavy. The man speaks with the barkeep momentarily and then makes his way to the center of the tavern where he stands on a chair. He addresses the whole tavern in short sentences as if he does not speak Thisidan very well.

"Good Evening, folks. I am from Boga City. My brother died two days away, to Boga City."

He gestures to compensate for his lack of word knowledge.

"I speak with Constable. He say too far away. I understand, that, but I want to hire someone to investigate. I have little money, but I pay what I can. I stay one day. Thanks."

GM: When the man finishes speaking he turns to the barkeep and thanks him. He then takes a seat at a table to have a meal.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka leans in close to Taylar, but not too close, and says, discreetly, "Sounds like he is in trouble. The loss of a brother is not an easy thing. Perhaps we should help him."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar drains off the last of his mug and nods at Maka. He says, "Ok. I'll go first." He goes over to the stranger's table and says to him with a big grin, "Well met, friend. I am Taylar Nibscry. I heard what you said and I would like to hear more. May I sit and speak with you?"

Last edited:

Remove ads