• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[TV] Doctor Who

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Aw, that's a shame. :(

Do you happen to remember any links, or any quotes? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious as to the substance of his complaints.

See, I've heard differently. Chris said that working on Doctor Who was an honor and that he had nothing bad to say about the program, just the BBC and their mucking up the PR about his departure. He also said that he was touched by the response from children when he played the Doctor, and that he'd treasure it for a long time.

I do get the sense that he and Russel T. Davies parted on less than amicable terms, which is a shame. As Chris said, the fact that Davies was working on the program was what got him interested.

And yeah, Chris has no right to talk that Doctor Who was beneath him, as he did went on the star in GI JOE. :lol:

Dragging up an old point, but I just found this:

BBC News - Christopher Eccleston talks about Doctor Who exit

"I was open-minded but I decided after my experience on the first series that I didn't want to do any more," he said.

"I didn't enjoy the environment and the culture that we, the cast and crew, had to work in.

"I thought if I stay in this job, I'm going to have to blind myself to certain things that I thought were wrong."

Felon

First Post
It was written by Richard Curtis, so what did you expect? ;) Most of his films (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill) end on a musical montage. Sure it's manipulative, but damn if it isn't effective.

I have avoided both of those movies assiduously, and now feel all the more validated for having done so. :)

Dragging up an old point, but I just found this:

Huh. Now I'm curious as to what he was objecting to.

Either way, it's too bad... But I wonder if, now that there's been a change in showrunners, if he'd be willing to come back for a multi-Doctor story. I'd really love to see him in the part again.

Herschel

Adventurer
Bah, Eccleston isn't even the "real" Ninth Doctor, it's Richard E. Grant "Doctor Who: Scream of the Shalka" (2003) ;) Apparently, revenous Who fans should have know Professor Yana was The master when he first showed up in Utopia.

I found it interesting that Bill Nighy was in consideration to replace Eccleston (even though it appears Tennant was the favorite, maybe even already in the minds of the producers before Eccleston announced his departure). I love Nighy, but the whole Rose thing would have turned a bit....awkward (though Jackie probably would still have tried to jump him ;) ) They made the right choice, methinks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads