• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[TV] Doctor Who

MarkB

Legend
Much as I did like the cliffhanger and am waiting in eager anticipation for the finale, I do wish a "New Who" series would manage to end on something smaller-scale and more personal just once. It feels like the series is in an arms race with itself.

"Ooh, what could possibly be bigger than the Daleks trying to destroy Earth, combined with a regeneration crisis? I know - Daleks and Cybermen fighting over the Earth!

But then, how do we top that? Easy - the Doctor's arch-nemesis actually successfully taking over the world!

Well, can't get much bigger than that, can we? Oh yes we can - Daleks stealing the Earth and trying to destroy everything in not only this universe but every other universe as well. Nothing could top that!

Ooh, well something might. We'll bring back the Master and the Time Lords and have them try and stop time itself.

Okay, something bigger than Time Lords? How about every major enemy the Doctor's faced, and an explosion that'll rip the universe to shreds from start to finish!"​

At this rate, they're going to need to build extra bits of universe next season, just so they'll have something bigger to threaten to blow up at the end of it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Good episode. Last ten minutes were amazing. Heckuva cliffhanger.

"You lot, working together. An alliance. How is that possible?"

Watching it again, they say "The Pandorica was created to maintain the alliance" (or words to that effect). So if they just killed him there'd be no reason to maintain the alliance, and they'd all turn on each other and suffer massive casualties. While he's imprisoned, there's a reason to maintain that alliance.

Explanations/theories?

[sblock]Okay, so I get that the cracks in time were caused by the Tardis exploding. And I get that the Pandorica was created to trap the doctor, and all the tales/legends of it were seeded to get his attention, and that the ideas were formed from the mind/memories of Amy Pond.

But what are people's thoughts on where the personality of fake Rory came from? Amy hasn't lived in the house since Rory died, so it can't have come from the "psychic snapshot" the Doctor suggested. Any other thoughts?[/sblock]

Herschel

Adventurer
I wouldn't be surprised if it was all the Dream Master again and this whole thing is a premonition of Amy's potential future. Rory's persona is there because an adolescent Amy saw/created it in her mind when the Doctor didn't come back right away.

Just thought of something else!

[sblock]The Doctor tells Amy that he needs her to remember something he told her when she was seven.

The trap scenario is based on Amy's memories.

Therefore, ergo, and to wit, could the Doctor have effectively told her something to essentially "seed" an escape--or other detail of which he could take advantage--into the scenario? It would have to be something subtle, something the Alliance would make use of without realizing they were giving him a tool of some sort...[/sblock]

June 26 2010 is my birthday.

Yes, that's right. My birthday is the base code of the universe. I always knew I was special; I'm glad it has been confirmed.
Sorry to break it to you, but you were not born on June 26 2010, right?

So you're not that special after all.

Mustrum "Of course if you were born in June 26 2010, you are definitely special, since you're owning a forum before you were born" Ridcully

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sorry to break it to you, but you were not born on June 26 2010, right?

So you're not that special after all.

Mustrum "Of course if you were born in June 26 2010, you are definitely special, since you're owning a forum before you were born" Ridcully

That's what TARDISes are for, duh! :D

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just thought of something else!

[sblock]The Doctor tells Amy that he needs her to remember something he told her when she was seven.

The trap scenario is based on Amy's memories.

Therefore, ergo, and to wit, could the Doctor have effectively told her something to essentially "seed" an escape--or other detail of which he could take advantage--into the scenario? It would have to be something subtle, something the Alliance would make use of without realizing they were giving him a tool of some sort...[/sblock]

Yeah, we were saying the same thing. Sounds plausible.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
One minor niggle - what were the Rhino-head people doing in the 'alliance'? They were galactic peacekeepers, and were not really a foe of the doctor - it was the plasmavore which was the real foe in that episode.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I think that there are some inter-relationships that I've not seen much discussion about yet. I'll put it in a spoiler block

[sblock]
OK, we've got the alliance who want to trap the doctor in the pandoricum, and they used a snapshot of Amy's memories to provide the stonehenge-based trap for him. All well and good.

But do we know what is going to cause the tardis to explode? What is the actual significance of the 26/6/10 date? (apart from the air date, natch).

Are the cracks in time/universe following the doctor - or following Amy? (the first one turned up in Amy's bedroom when she was tiny, after all. Is Amy going to be something a bit more special than just a pretty human?

Where does the 'tardis someone is trying to build' in the lodger episode fit in?

Why are there cybermen, when the cybermen were from a sealed off alternate reality (and even all the ones that made it into this one were sucked off into the void?)

[/sblock]

Remove ads