• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[TV] Doctor Who

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[sblock]Weevils?!? Are you sure? I wouldn't expect the Weevils to be able to travel intentionally through either space or time based on their Torchwood appearances. I rather thought the Weevils were an evolutionary offshoot of us, from the far future.

There was an alien in Love & Monsters that looked something like a Weevil. It also appeared in a Torchwood episode (can't remember which). It was called a Hoix. Having Hoix in the crowd might make sense; having Weevils makes rather less sense......Though I'd love to see a Dr. Who story based around Weevils or the Bane........?

Again, not having seen the episode yet, I'd like some clarification on that. Pretty please and thank you.[/sblock]

RC

Yes, they were weevils.

A biggish spoiler from Matt Smith:

During filming, every single episode from 1-12 contained an extra scene for the finale in the script.

Herschel

Adventurer
[sblock]I don't think that's a huge spoiler as we've already seen a number of them (for example: The opening Van Gogh scene and the Churchill bunker scene.) [/sblock]

Herschel

Adventurer
[sblock]I would say that was fairly obvious, even without seeing the Pandorica episode yet. That was the Doctor's TARDIS trying to rebuild itself after it exploded. Which is why the TARDIS couldn't land, and why the Doctor was the correct pilot.[/sblock]RC

[sblock]Except the time machine in "The Lodger" was killing people for energy, which I doubt the actual Tardis would do. Now if Prisoner Zero were trying to build a time machine, then that makes sense that his would do so. But then it seemed to be a time machine trying to repair itself instead of being created. If the Tardis were actually rebuilding itself, why not over the rift in Cardiff? Then again, it rebuilt itself last time from Amy's back yard. [/sblock]

Raven Crowking

First Post
Yes, they were weevils.

A biggish spoiler from Matt Smith:

During filming, every single episode from 1-12 contained an extra scene for the finale in the script.

[sblock]That seems odd to me, based upon what little has been established about Weevils in Torchwood.

And, of course, there were no Weevils in episodes 1-12 that I am aware of.

(Shrug)

I guess I just have to wait and see.[/sblock]

[sblock]Except the time machine in "The Lodger" was killing people for energy, which I doubt the actual Tardis would do. Now if Prisoner Zero were trying to build a time machine, then that makes sense that his would do so. But then it seemed to be a time machine trying to repair itself instead of being created. If the Tardis were actually rebuilding itself, why not over the rift in Cardiff? Then again, it rebuilt itself last time from Amy's back yard. [/sblock]

[sblock]It was looking for the correct pilot, if you will recall. When the Doctor arrives, it says "Correct pilot has been found." Or words to that effect.

One must assume that the TARDIS was more damaged by exploding than it has been in previous stories, as previous stories do not include an explosion large enough to wipe out the universe from damage sustained by the TARDIS.

Going back to earlier Dr. Who, The Two Doctors includes the idea that "Rassilon Imprimature" is needed to initialize a TARDIS. After the explosion, the TARDIS could well have been so damaged that it needed to be re-initialized. We have also seen the 10th Doctor give up a portion of his life in order to re-energize the TARDIS in Pete's World. And, after all, TARDISes exist in symbiosis with their pilots.

Re: The Rift in Cardiff. When the Vortex Manipulator exploded in Children of Earth, did that seal the Rift? Or is the Rift now running wild and free? Enquiring minds want to know![/sblock]

RC

Herschel

Adventurer
[sblock]It was looking for the correct pilot, if you will recall. When the Doctor arrives, it says "Correct pilot has been found." Or words to that effect.

One must assume that the TARDIS was more damaged by exploding than it has been in previous stories, as previous stories do not include an explosion large enough to wipe out the universe from damage sustained by the TARDIS.

Going back to earlier Dr. Who, The Two Doctors includes the idea that "Rassilon Imprimature" is needed to initialize a TARDIS. After the explosion, the TARDIS could well have been so damaged that it needed to be re-initialized. We have also seen the 10th Doctor give up a portion of his life in order to re-energize the TARDIS in Pete's World. And, after all, TARDISes exist in symbiosis with their pilots.

Re: The Rift in Cardiff. When the Vortex Manipulator exploded in Children of Earth, did that seal the Rift? Or is the Rift now running wild and free? Enquiring minds want to know![/sblock]

RC

[sblock]I had forgotten about that line. That would make more sense then. But why there? It was there before him, but did it draw him there and the Tardis couldn't land in fear of "meeting" itself? [/sblock]

Come on Saturday!

Raven Crowking

First Post
You believe a wiki and not us? Hah! :D

(Shrug)

Weevils seemed unlikely. Of course, the wiki also said they threw in one of the insect guys from the Sarah Jane Adventures, too.

That all of these species can, apparently, travel through time to be there at the right time and the right place is, let me say, more than a little strange.

RC

Last edited:

Herschel

Adventurer
[sblock] Oooo! Amy had a Weeping Angel in her mind! Could their ability to make someone "live to death" be coming in to play with Rory? She's made up the stories in her head, and Rory was a constructed fantasy maybe....eh, maybe not. But that has to com ein to play, one would think. Man, so many threads that make partial sense. Moffat is a turdwad! ;) [/sblock]

Raven Crowking

First Post
[sblock]I had forgotten about that line. That would make more sense then. But why there? It was there before him, but did it draw him there and the Tardis couldn't land in fear of "meeting" itself? [/sblock]

[sblock]The semi-sentient TARDIS was diverted due to its own (future) distress causing ripples in the Space/Time Vortex. It couldn't maintain itself in the area while its future self was there due to the Blinovich Limitation Effect.

The Time Lords, pre-Time War, included a lot more safeguards to prevent this sort of thing from happening. For instance, the "bleed" from future events (from the Doctor's personal future) was extremely limited. Also, safeguards prevented TARDISes from meeting each other out of sequence. This is demonstrated in Time and the Rani, where the Doctor can know the Rani's age by knowing his own age. Likewise, in The Ribos Operation, Romana can state the Doctor's age with confidence.

I imagine that, even post-Time War, some of those safeguards are still operational. There has been some indication in the new series that the resolution of the Time War has placed new restrictions on the TARDIS, such as making it far more difficult to enter alternate universes. Certainly, the destruction of a TARDIS never seemed likely to destroy the entire universe before, so this in and of itself might be a result of the TARDIS being limited to a single four-dimensional frame (as opposed to the five-dimensional frame of the earlier series).[/sblock]

And, yes, I have given this far too much thought. :eek:

RC

Remove ads