TV show Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starts Production in 2024

Its set in the 32 century.
Annnnnd I'm out.

It's really sad, because Starfleet Academy as a series had been predicted since the late 1990s. A lot of people were convinced the show after VOY would be it. I personally absolutely laser-predicted ENT, right down to the visual design, so was insufferably smug for a bit when a couple of years later we got the rumours and then reveal on that. What I totally failed to predict was how bad ENT would be lol. Oh well.

Anyway, I digress, I'm just not interested in the 32nd century. Everything is too fancy tech-wise (even though it's more like what we'd expect for the 28th century than 32nd because of all the issues they've had), to the point where it looks ultra-bland and generic. The uniforms are absolutely godawful, easily the worst Trek has ever had, which is truly saying something. The conflicts are bland and annoying, and have like, less relevance or resonance than other Star Trek conflicts (rather surprisingly).

Like most people I love Tilly and would be happy to hear she's in this, but... ooof. 32nd century.

Hex08

Hero
Annnnnd I'm out.
I'm almost there with you. Discovery, in my opinion, is so awful (at least the first three seasons were, I gave up after that) that I have little desire to see anything related to it. That said, I will give it at least a few episodes to win me over but it's going to be a tough sell. On top of having no interest in 32nd century Trek the idea of a Starfleet Academy show, regardless of the era, has never held much appeal for me. However, if Tawny Newsome is involved I count that as a plus.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
It's really sad, because Starfleet Academy as a series had been predicted since the late 1990s. A lot of people were convinced the show after VOY would be it.
I remember the joke at the time was that it'd be Starfleet 90210. I haven't really been into Star Trek since Voyager. I gave Enterprise a chance and noped right out during the first episode when we learn about the Temporal Cold War. I haven't watched Picard or Discovery so I can't offer an opinion on them. It's been over twenty years since I last looked forward to anything related to Trek. Oh, well. I hope people are enjoying what's currently in production. Hopefully they'll like this new show.

Starfleet Academy in the 32nd century. They've taken two of the Trek series ideas that don't particularly excite me and combined them into one worse idea I have no interest in at all.

While I'm not as opposed as some to another 32nd century show, an academy based show seems like something that benefits from being set in one of the more familiar periods. The storytelling appeal of the 32nd century setting is being able to drop in on familiar things and have them be radically different, and having a lot more blank canvas than there is in the other Star Trek settings. A starfleet academy show seems like the least likely Trek premise to take advantage of these strengths.

Remove ads