There is now 880 episodes of Star Trek and 13 movies

Mallus

Legend
Really? Why think that? I'm the youngest person I know who has seen it (at least up until Michelle Yeoh left, I would watch her reading the telephone directory). And I'm a school teacher so come into contact with lots of younger people.

I don't see anything on the show to particularly appeal to younger viewers, unless you are suggesting younger folk like bad writing, bad direction, and can see in the dark.
It's not a question of the quality of the writing, more of the themes and tone. Discovery, in particular, feels like a product of the contemporary culture of empathy, in the same way the original show was clearly a product of the Cold War era. Being openly emotional is normalized (in the same way displaying open anger was the norm in TOS). The increased queer representation is a part of it, but I find it all through the writing of the show. Internally, I characterized it as Becky Chambers Star Trek (or Rebecca Sugar). It just feels very of the now, which also mends meant for the people generating current culture, ie not 54 year olds like me.

For a concrete example, look at the different way the characters of Tilly and Barclay are treated in their respective shows. In the 90s, Barclay was still be a joke. Openly ridiculed, even by enlightened Starfleet types. Sylvia Tilly is not. For all her idiosyncrasies and faults, she's always respected, always a person. That's the kind of cultural shift I'm talking about.

Four seasons in the can, a fifth (and final one) airing 2024.

Well, um, depending on the WGA strike, I guess.

Actually Discovery Season 5 is not effected by the WGA strike because shooting is finished. Season 5 was I believe originally supposed to come out this year, but got pushed back to 2024 so they could shoot extra scenes for the final episode to turn it into a Series final not just a season final. I imagine the extra scenes were done before the strike.

Seasons 2 if SNW also likely is uneffected, its coming this year, but although season 3 had already started shooting, scripts done, but writers will not be able to rewrite anything should a line of dialog not work out, so hopefully the actors improv skills are rock solid.

The animated series are seperate union so fine.

Section 31 is supposed to start shooting this year so they might have a finished script already, but could have some head arches.

Star Trek Legacy (not announced, but I found out today Terry now has a development deal with Paramount, so its not brain surgury to figure out its a lock) and SFA are the most effected right now.

For a concrete example, look at the different way the characters of Tilly and Barclay are treated in their respective shows. In the 90s, Barclay was still be a joke. Openly ridiculed, even by enlightened Starfleet types. Sylvia Tilly is not. For all her idiosyncrasies and faults, she's always respected, always a person. That's the kind of cultural shift I'm talking about.

Tilly was painful to watch IMO (only watched 2 seasons). And reminded me of the over-the-top talking to yourself Gilmore Girls type show. It very much changed the face of Star Trek when you've introduced "that" kind of writing into the sci-fi show.

Kinda like introducing Kender into Greyhawk. Somethings off.

It's not a question of the quality of the writing, more of the themes and tone.
No. It's the quality of the writing. And the direction. Themes and tone were fine, if stretched over too many episodes.
Being openly emotional is normalized (in the same way displaying open anger was the norm in TOS).
Did you think the characters where particularly emotional? Not something I noticed (unless you mean: compared to Spock). What I did notice is all the interesting characters unaccountably side-lined for the most boring and humourless one.
The increased queer representation is a part of it, but I find it all through the writing of the show.
I noticed the queer characters constantly side-lined in favour of the heterosexual one. It would have done a lot more for representation if those characters had been given enough screen-time for the audience to bond with them.

Tilly was painful to watch IMO (only watched 2 seasons). And reminded me of the over-the-top talking to yourself Gilmore Girls type show. It very much changed the face of Star Trek when you've introduced "that" kind of writing into the sci-fi show.

Kinda like introducing Kender into Greyhawk. Somethings off.

Gilmore's dialog was charming and witty, Tilly was not. I liked Tilly at first, thought she was going to be a fun, beloved Barkley like character, but she wasn't.

Last edited:

Remove ads