D&D 5E Tweaks to the races

I was a little disappointed to see the various "step up" mechanics removed (dwarf Hit Dice, weapon damage). I imagine that's partially because of classes like the barbarian and high damage weapons (can't step up a d12).

Li Shenron

Legend
I was a little disappointed to see the various "step up" mechanics removed (dwarf Hit Dice, weapon damage). I imagine that's partially because of classes like the barbarian and high damage weapons (can't step up a d12).

I thought it was also because it might be something easy to forget to many players (the HD rather than WD).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
OT: Previous edition

This is a fun question.

My thought? Seeing black-and-white, you could read a spellbook or a scroll, but not an inscription carved in stone. There needs to be the contrast. That would be a fun obstacle to incorporate into a challenge.

A bit off topic, but back many editions ago when darkvision was infravision and inherently heat based, you couldn't use it to read your spell book but one enterprising player rubbed an inscription quickly for half a minute or so, heating the raised parts and making it visible to infravision. Of course, if it was trapped that could have gone bad for the PC.

I liked infravision more than darkvision because you could have creatures like skeletons that were "naturally invisible" to infravision. I like that because of the flavor, it wasn't just an upgrade but had it's own perils.

Last edited:

Remove ads