D&D 5E Twitch Breach and huge data dump with some purporting CR earned $9 million over three years

Also remember that twitch accounts can be tied to Amazon and DnDBeyond. I wonder if it would be a good idea to change those passwords too.
Yes. The answer is always yes, it is good to change your passwords.

And, you should not be using the same one on two different platforms. Use a password manager, or use a pass-phrase that incorporates a unique identifier for the platform. And change them all yearly, or quarterly for your financial ones (or ones you allow to store your financial information such as credit card numbers).

Yes its a PITA. But its a lot less of a PITA than when you have your information exploited.

Bolares

Hero
Yes. The answer is always yes, it is good to change your passwords.

And, you should not be using the same one on two different platforms. Use a password manager, or use a pass-phrase that incorporates a unique identifier for the platform. And change them all yearly, or quarterly for your financial ones (or ones you allow to store your financial information such as credit card numbers).

Yes its a PITA. But its a lot less of a PITA than when you have your information exploited.
I know all this.... BUT... when push comes to shove, I'm just lazy AF :p

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Also remember that twitch accounts can be tied to Amazon and DnDBeyond. I wonder if it would be a good idea to change those passwords too.
Always a good idea to change every password you've got, even if only to a variant or whatever.
I know all this.... BUT... when push comes to shove, I'm just lazy AF :p
lol same. I'm changing everything today, though, because twitch connects to amazon and used to be my DDB autheticator.

I am not familiar enough with twitch and its offerings (even though I have an account, to which I changed my password now, and used them for some streams) to really put things into relation to each other. But Critical Role seems at least to involve a bigger production crew and all, so that doesn't sound too unreasonable.
What I don't know if the next few items on the list also have similar crews, or if there are really lone streamers that make a million or more... I kinda doubt it.

I think the interesting component that kinda feels "worrying" about such sums is that there are people that are "donating" money to their favorite streamer - people that might have a much lower income than the guy they are watching. That kinda feels wong for a "donation". Not that I am not okay with giving someone my money if I really enjoy the content. Just the framing as donation seems misleading, it implies you're helping someone in need. You wouldn't go around asking for donations for the "trust fund millionaire orphan aid center"... Unless you're a millionaire or billionaire perhaps.

Iry

Hero
Good on them! I'm kind of happy they are in the #1 spot, because I know they literally started from scratch and worked their way up the hard way, and they are still really decent folk. I doubt 9m even goes as far as it seems, since it's split across 3 years, they have a whole team of people to pay, insure, etc. And they don't seem like the kind of people to skimp on pay or benefits (within reason).

Vaalingrade

Legend
I think the interesting component that kinda feels "worrying" about such sums is that there are people that are "donating" money to their favorite streamer - people that might have a much lower income than the guy they are watching. That kinda feels wong for a "donation". Not that I am not okay with giving someone my money if I really enjoy the content. Just the framing as donation seems misleading, it implies you're helping someone in need. You wouldn't go around asking for donations for the "trust fund millionaire orphan aid center"... Unless you're a millionaire or billionaire perhaps.
Donation isn't the same as charity.

These are free entertainment pieces where the patrons choose to support by providing what money they can afford/think the entertainment is worth to support and perpetuate the series. That's also donation.

Remove ads