• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two handed weapon wielding ranger.

Smeelbo

First Post
Okies, so you're proposing an alternate Ranger build that allows them to use all Ranger powers that require "you must be wielding two weapons" with a single, versatile weapon wielded in two hands.

Hmmm....that is effectively having a built-in Paired Weapon (AV74), except it can have a second power, as the "pairing" is effectively "built into" the alternate Ranger build. That is, you could have a Rending Waraxe (AV76), and use Twin Strike to hit with it twice per round? Is that your intent? If so, optimizers would almost always choose your Two Handed Fighting Style over the PHB's Two Blade Fighting Style. Worse, light blade wielders would come to demand Twin Strike, arguing that if a Bastard Sword wielder can attack twice a round, then a Dagger wielder certainly can. And that opens up a whole can of worms.

I played most of my D&D career using the 1970's CalTech/MIT Warlock rules from the Arpanet, which allowed four attacks per round for daggers and fists, three for most other one-handed weapons, two attacks for what we would now call versatile weapons (hand-and-a-half), and one attack per round for most two-handers. It took me a while to wrap my head around mostly-one-attack-per-round when I started playing 3.5, but I have to say it does simplify combat enormously. I think opening up Twin Strike and its brethren Ranger abilities to two-handed weapons is a Pandora's box best left sealed.

On the other hand, I do believe Hasbro already intends to sell us a book where rogues will be offered a version of at-will Twin Strike with light blades.

Smeelbo

Smeelbo said:
I think opening up Twin Strike and its brethren Ranger abilities to two-handed weapons is a Pandora's box best left sealed.
Not really. It's only going to be Versatile weapons, ie: the Weapons a Two-Weapon Ranger is already likely to be using. Granted, it only requires one weapon instead of two (making it cheaper as the game progresses up in levels), but it really would be no worse than a Two-Weapon Ranger using a double-weapon.

Making the ability to use a Versatile weapon two-handed with Two-Weapon powers cost a feat effectively would cost the same as taking proficiency in a Double-weapon, without the inherent silly'ness of double weapons :p

Syrsuro

First Post
With the wording of the powers, when wielding one weapon as I described would allow you to attack twice with that weapon. And get the +1 damage. Just different description than wielding two weapons.

Wait.

So they use the same weapons, still attack twice, and get a bonus of +1 to damage on each attack.

So really you are just giving them a damage bonus. Free.

Carl

Remove ads