D&D 5E Two New D&D Books Revealed: Feywild & Strixhaven Mage School

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786967277/?fbclid=IwAR0XJFcrq5jcCsPLRpMx--hEeSOXpDNFG1_tT6JUwB0hhXp-0wwrcXo6KhQ The Wild Beyond the...

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time.

The recent Unearthed Arcana, Folk of the Feywild, contained the fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, and rabbitfolk. UA is usually a good preview of what's in upcoming D&D books.

1622920152629.png

Curriculum of Chaos is an upcoming D&D release set in the Magic: The Gathering world of Strixhaven -- a brand new MtG set only just launched.

Strixhaven is a school of mages on the plane of Arcavios, an elite university with five rival colleges founded by dragons: Silverquill (eloquence), Prismari (elemental arts), Witherbloom (life and death), Lorehold (archaeomancy), and Quandrix (numeromancy). You can read more about the M:tG set here.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.43.56 PM.png

You will be able to tune into WotC's streamed event D&D Live on July 16 and 17 for details on both, including new character options, monsters, mechanics, story hooks, and more!

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
it feels like a brute force solution plus the turn into a bear does not really fit.
assuming you mean the classic Chinese system metal also had to do with lighting if I recall correctly.
plus earth and void are not used in the same system.
The Hindu-Buddhist system uses both, a 6-element system.

Fair enough.

"Psion" has grown on me as a D&Dism.

But I wouldnt cry if they dropped the term "psionics".

... Heh. And every time I hear the term "psionicist", I shudder.

Even Dark Sun, which is damn near the quintessential D&D psionics-heavy setting, moved away from these terms at times - the very scientific/academic Greek-derived terms didn't seem terribly fitting to a not-very-scholarly setting like Athas, so I kinda approved of the change, personally.. Psionics were called The Way in-world, and people who used psionics were called mindbenders (for those who are more telepathy-focused) or shipfloaters (more telekinetically-focused, the name deriving from the fact that Athasian ships floated above the silt sea with the assistance of a telekineticist focusing their powers through an obsidian control sphere). Though of course there was crossover between the two, some shipfloaters had some telepathic abilities and so on.

Add 'seer' to these two terms (to represent divinatory or clairvoyant psionic abilities) and to Tasha's Psychic warrior, and that's a lot of the bases covered for me. But on a bigger scale, it just reminds me that it's worth remembering that D&D is a big, varied thing and if a name of a generic game term breaks immersion in a particular setting, it's easy enough to change. Or even within different places within a single setting. A Lamordian academic or creepy brain experimenter might call something a 'psionic metacreative discipline', but in somewhere like Kartakass or Verbrek or the like it'd probably have a very different name.

I don't remember seeing this from anyone else, or in the official blurbs, but Jeremy Crawford said this in a tweet a few hours ago:

"The Wild Beyond the Witchlight" invites you to journey in the Plane of Faerie.

Is the Feywild being it's own Plane something new or is that way from 4th edition, which I never played.

I don't remember seeing this from anyone else, or in the official blurbs, but Jeremy Crawford said this in a tweet a few hours ago:

Is the Feywild being it's own Plane something new or is that way from 4th edition, which I never played.

It goes back at least to 4e, but has older roots, the previous Plane of Faerie becoming the Feywild. Interestingly enough Faerun is named after the Plane of Faerie/Feywild.

Some amazing art for both book covers, as I've come to expect at this point.
I was going to wait on the Feywild book to see how much more there is to it than just the adventure, but that alternative cover is too pretty to pass up.

If we get miniature sets for both these books I can see myself parting with a lot of cash.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
There was never any official info on a Dragonlance setting. What happened is they put out the most recent dragon-themed UA and one of the spells was named Fizban's something or other, so everyone said "Dragonlance confirmed!" Even though all the other named spells were named after Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk dragons.

They may still put out a Dragonlance setting, of course, but there's been no official word yet.
I think that Dragonlance is definitely coming Soon™. Not because of that UA, but because Weiss & Hickman are writing/have written a new DL trilogy. I suspect that a DL campaign setting book will be released whenever that trilogy goes live (which could be this year, next year, or some time in the next century). Synergy and all that.

Yaarel

He Mage
plus earth and void are not used in the same system.
The Chinese elements are ways of MOTION.

Soil and Space are the same thing, because they are both MOTIONLESS, and serve as an empty place within which the other four elements move.

This aspect of Soil as motionless, is sometimes called Void, Place, Emptiness, Nothingness, Nirvana, etcetera.

Note that the I-Ching itself identifies the Tree Motion as Wind, because they have the same Motion: both trees and gas expand outward encompassing all else within.

Japan has an elemental tradition that synthesizes Dao and Hellentistic as: Water, Fire, Air (Tree), Earth (Metal), and Void.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Telling me to go back through 20 pages of posts for something vague you wrote isn't as helpful as you think

Are you seriously arguing that the definition of official is something that is official?
🤦‍♂️

Something can be official AND compatible
That was clearly so people didn't mistake it for a MtG product as that logo was much larger

It's made by WizCo staff, published by the WizCo, and was hosted on the official site
It's as official as ONE GRUNG ABOVE or the TORTLE PACKAGE or the ELEMENTAL EVIL PLAYER'S COMPANION
And it's a hell of a lot more official than EXPLORER'S GUIDE TO WILDEMOUNT that wasn't playtested and wasn't actually written by any WizCo staff (even the editors were mostly freelancers)

If DRAGON magazines that weren't published by WizCo can be "100% official" then the various PLANESHIFT products must be 110% official
BWAHAHAHAHAHA. So you ignore evidence, then try to call me out that I never provided it. And when I do, you make an excuse that you can't be bothered to go check. Since I also described it - the image of the product, it would be childs play for you to check it since I assume you have the product you are so loudly arguing about.

At this point I can only take from this that you are arguing in bad faith because you want to be right. I attempted to give you information, I shant waste my time doing that any more. Good day sir.

Remove ads

Remove ads