Two or more Flaming Spheres

Steven McRownt

First Post
In the spell's description nothing seems to forbid to launch a flaming sphere per round, but i don't think it is the right thing to do... the sorcerer in my group use this tactict quite often, to circle opponents while one is on him.

I think that he can't concentrate on all those spells, but there are no clues of it, so i am still letting do it. Now I ask you to clear mine and his doubts.

Of course it could be the same problem (even if less worrying) if he casts flaming sphere the first round, then move the sphere AND cast another spell (istantaneus) "each" round.

Do i can ask him concentration checks? What could be the DC in this case? And for more than one flaming sphere?

Thanx in advance

Steven McRownt

AGGEMAM

First Post
Flaming Sphere does not require concentration at all, but he must spend a MEA to direct and move each of them, so there is a limit to how many is pratical to have in effect.

Steven McRownt

First Post
Thanx AGGEMAN, after all I was right. Even if this rule doesn't convince me at all. Too many spheres around, and bolts shhoting from the same person: i always thought sorcerers as bazookas, but in this way the're acting as heavy artillery!!!!

Steven McRownt

Darklone

Steven McRownt said:
Thanx AGGEMAN, after all I was right. Even if this rule doesn't convince me at all. Too many spheres around, and bolts shhoting from the same person: i always thought sorcerers as bazookas, but in this way the're acting as heavy artillery!!!!

Uh, how? Even hasted, he could only control two spheres plus cast. That's not too bad considering the damage and Refl save negates of the spheres.

Steven McRownt

First Post
Darklone said:
Uh, how? Even hasted, he could only control two spheres plus cast. That's not too bad considering the damage and Refl save negates of the spheres.

He cast one flaming sphere per round, then he moves one per round to circle the opponent and hit!

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Seems like a perfectly reasonable tactic. But it is difficult to imagine casting more than 3 usefully. Unless he is hasted he can only move 2 per round (one MEA per attack). Still, 2d6 + 2d6 damage per round, multiple rounds in a row is pretty respectable for a 4th or 5th level character.

This really is not an abusive "combo" at all. Just good clean effective use a resources.

IMO if the sorceror is willing to spend a precious known spell slot on a something that will not be very useful at higher level, he deserves all the advantage and fun he can squeeze out.

Remove ads