• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two-Weapon Fighting Question

Renshai

First Post
I have a player that wants to have a two-weapon fighting dwarf cleric. He wants to wield two warhammers, which I'm going to have to tell him isn't possible since the warhammer doesn't have the off-hand attribute.

Another question comes up though, if a character is wielding two weapons, and the off hand weapon has a magic bonus, do you get to add that bonus as well to your damage?

The whole two-weapon thing kind of confuses me I guess.

Thanks,
:R

Ibixat

First Post
you attack with either weapon, it only gets the benefits from itself not the other one. And as you said, it has to be off-hand for one of them. Other than that there is nothing stopping him from dual wielding 2 weapons, or taking the feat for defensive purposes or +1 damage for doing it etc.

Alabast

First Post
He can certainly wield two weapons, but one of them has to be off hand, and he won't be able to attack with both in one round unless he multis as Ranger (or perhaps Tempest Fighter when that book comes out). He could use a pair of throwing hammers, or a warhammer and an throwing hammer, but each weapon's individual bonuses apply separately. He would take the two-weapon feats, which would improve his damage and AC, which is actually kind of nice since cleric's can't use shields.

It may impair his ability to use magic holy symbols for his implement powers, but I don't remember if you need to hold you holy symbol in your hand for it to grant its bonus.

Renshai

First Post
Yeah, I was thinking as a dwarf priest, a warhammer that acts as an off-hand weapon and implement might be kind of cool. Not sure how unbalanced that would be.

Ibixat

First Post
He can certainly wield two weapons, but one of them has to be off hand, and he won't be able to attack with both in one round unless he multis as Ranger (or perhaps Tempest Fighter when that book comes out). He could use a pair of throwing hammers, or a warhammer and an throwing hammer, but each weapon's individual bonuses apply separately. He would take the two-weapon feats, which would improve his damage and AC, which is actually kind of nice since cleric's can't use shields.

It may impair his ability to use magic holy symbols for his implement powers, but I don't remember if you need to hold you holy symbol in your hand for it to grant its bonus.

The holy symbol can be worn if I read it correctly. A throwing hammer in the off hand and a warhammer in primary allows for both of the two heroic weapon dual wield feats and if you get a magic throwing hammer it's pretty sweet.

Ibixat

First Post
oh yeah, in the early epic tier you could probably swing a +5 holy avenger throwing hammer or hand axe.... which would honestly be pretty dang sweet. Chucking your holy symbol at some dude's head, splitting it open and having it return automatically to your hand is an interesting image in my mind.

Remove ads