• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tyranids in d20 Modern

ironmani

First Post
I'm running a d20 modern game and I wanted to use some of the Tyranid Gaunts I have in the game. What I wanted to know is what would be a good staring point to stat them out? I dont want them to be a tough as they are in 40k, since my players have 2-3 guns between them. Granted this wont happen for a bit (They are level 2 right now.) but I wanted to start working on it now so things are in place for when the story unfolds. Thanks!
:D
EDIT: Ah...poop! I put this in the wrong forum. Can a helpful mod please punt this to the D20 forum? Thanks!

Last edited:

Romnipotent

First Post
They're like Tyranids

theres a beast in the Miniatures Handbook I believe that would suit and look just right.
The Kruthik (page 62 - 64)

they look gaunty

There's a series of creatures called kythons in The Book of Vile Darkness that look to me like a great progression of 'nid miniatures; everywhere from the ripper swarms, to the hormogaunts, to the genestealers, to the tyranids, to the hive tyrants and carnifex's are all well represented in there.

Not sure what to do about termagaunts with their weird fleshborer guns and the like, though. I'd probably just give them mi-go weaponry from the d20 Call of Cthulhu game personally...

ironmani

First Post
Well I didnt want to use their bio weapons. They were just going to have thier claws (The scyth looking talons.) They basicly just close combat machines.
BTW Thanks Henry!

Last edited:

DarkJester

First Post
Not to misdirect the thread or anything but...

Wow, those kythons are insanely strong. The Slaughterking is comparable to an equal challenge rating dragon. Possible 37 armor class, 25 Spell Resistance, 5 attacks, -4 to all opponents rolls, 20% spell failure, immune to acid and cold, 20 fire and lightning resistance, and to top it all off the custom items. Thats a lot of stuff for only CR 13. Better not try to be anywhere near that beasts melee range.

Beanish

First Post
i used kythons in one of my d&d games, and gave them a very 'nid-like feel. they worked WONDERFULLY. i play with a bunch of 40k freaks and i myself have a pretty good sized nid force. definitely the kytons, but as darkjester said, they are very powerful.

ioun_stone

First Post
'Nids nightmares

Long ago I played in a campaign where the DM had the aliens out of the movies (Alien, Aliens, etc.) show up. There were several variants, and they were all nasty. I agree that the kythons from the Book of Vile Darkness are a good choice for using as d20 'nids... or for those dammed aliens we fought!

Remove ads