D&D 5E UA Druid Speculation/Wishlists

Xeviat

Hero
Hey everyone. So the cleric domains UA article strongly implies we're getting stuff for every class in alphabetical order, which means the Druid is next. Of all the PHB classes, the Druid has had the least support, with two archetypes. Originally, they were tied with barbarian, ranger, and sorcerer, but these have gained more subclasses (or a complete revision in the case of the Ranger).

While the Land Druid has multiple options for their domain spells, the rest of the entry is identical, so it's really just one archetype with some variety.

Now, I want a complete revision of wild shape, but I'm not holding my breath. What other Druid archetypes do you want to see? Here's mine:

WereDruid: a Druid who embraces lycanthropy and uses partial transformations instead of full wildshape.

Companion Druid: a Druid who uses an animal companion. Simple enough. One with nature. Friend of beasts. Probably with tons of summons. Maybe low level summons instead of a permanent companion to differentiate them from Rangers.

Season Druid: rather than differentiating by connection to the land, have seasonal Druids who focus on life giving spring, harsh summer or winter, or the dying of autumn. The four seasons match easily with the four elements and have tons of evocative and alchemical imagery and associations.

Shaman Druid: Nuff said.

Blighted Druid: everyone loves anti-classes. Fallen druids. Embraces undeath.

What would you like to see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
An undeath or darkness themed Druid. maybe something like Circle of Bones.

An animal companion themed Druid. Maybe something like Circle of the Pack.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Circle of the Stars: Diviners/Seers.

Circle of the Law: Brehon judges out of Irish-Celtic legend.

Circle of the Stones: Priests of a faith older than the Gods.

Sacrosanct

Legend
A shifter druid similar to the 2e version out of "Complete book of Druids". I'd like to see a totem druid, where spells are channeled through animal totems, carvings, tattoos, etc.

Not sure I'd put shaman under a druid though. Doesn't really jive, theme-wise. I'd much rather see a shaman as a separate class, that gets its powers from channeling the various spirits. Closer to a warlock, mechanically, then a druid.

Ketser

First Post
So let's think first what were offered in previous UA articles:
Barbarian got themes like ancestors, elements (although limited to storms) and divine. Bards got fae theme and spy/intrigue/shadow theme. Cleric got forge, a non-evil death domain and protection.

Druid is interesting because its a class that wizards hasn't really touched (outside a few new spells in EEPC). No UA subclasses or anything, i think every other class got something either in UA or SCAG.

Some possibilities what we might see:

Circle of um.. animal companions. Clerics got some of the most requested domains in their article, so its highly possible that we get some animal companion like druid option. The real question is whether its going to be the 3.x style animal companion or something different, considering that WoTC might want to make it different from Beast Master ranger option(s).

Shaman, circle of spirits. Considering that WoTC has stated that they prefer making some old classes subclass options instead. Handling shaman under druid would expand the primal forces and "Old Faith" themes of the class. Also this brings me back to the animal companion druid. Considering that the 4e shaman had a spirit companion, its possible that they might merge those two concepts together.

It's of course possible that they go another way with the shaman/spirit druid. But i think its among the strongest candidates among the possible druid options.

Elemental and Fae themed druids. Looking at Barbarians and Bards both are possibilities. The Fae tend to be connected to the nature, so making a druid option connected to them is something i personally would like. The elemental theme is another that culd be expanded under druid options, but i have a bit more doubt about it, because at least in the past, Mearls seemed to think that Circle of The Land covers the elemental theme.

Circle of Decay/Blighters/Fallen Druids. When 5e was released in 2014 WoTC was pretty squeamish about "evil divine options," relegating them into the depths of the DMG. So this rises the question: are they wanting to add options that can be seen as directly evil or going against the identity of the class? I think if we see the subclass we get more something in form of druids linked to decay who keep the balance of nature by reaping what is too plentiful, has lived too long and perhaps work ass "agents of natures revenge."

Waterbizkit

Explorer
A Seasonal Circle would be my first choice. What would be interesting to see is if they'd have self contained sub-archetypes, like the new Barbarian, where you pick a specific season to embody through all the levels or if they'd allow the ability to change which season you're attuned to over the course of say... a short rest, with your powers changing appropriately to match. Personally I'd prefer the latter but somehow would expect the former.

A Circle of Blight could be interesting, death is after all a part of the natural cycle. Still, I'm just looking forward to whatever it is we might get since the Druid has been sorely neglected. No guarantee I'll like it of course, but looking forward all the same.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I'd love to see them take another crack at the swarm druid from 4e. That was a flavorful take on the class. Loved it but never got to play it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Of the ones you mention, the Companion, the Seasons, and the Blight seem like the most likely ones, or, at least, the ones I'm most interested in.

Remove ads