Unearthed Arcana UA feats, are they trying to allow people to not have to multiclass to get class abilities?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I have met them, though I think they’re strange. Then again, I think ever picking an ASI is kinda odd, so what do I know.
I'd probably find them a bit odd, myself. I'd say the ASI option is about 20-25% IME.

My character leveled last night, and I am considering an ASI to bump my INT to 18 from 16. But my reason is also we acquired a Tome of Clear Thought which will further boost me to 20.

However, as both cleric and wizard with two 16's. I might read the book and then ASI bump WIS to have two 18s. I'm still undecided. :)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd probably find them a bit odd, myself. I'd say the ASI option is about 20-25% IME.

My character leveled last night, and I am considering an ASI to bump my INT to 18 from 16. But my reason is also we acquired a Tome of Clear Thought which will further boost me to 20.

However, as both cleric and wizard with two 16's. I might read the book and then ASI bump WIS to have two 18s. I'm still undecided. :)
Yeah my group has adopted a houserule that makes ASI’s mostly obsolete, bc we just do not enjoy taking them. (You get +1 to a stat every time your class gives you a choice and you pick a feat.)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yeah my group has adopted a houserule that makes ASI’s mostly obsolete, bc we just do not enjoy taking them. (You get +1 to a stat every time your class gives you a choice and you pick a feat.)
That's a useful rule. I might steal that. My table also hates taking ASIs, as they take away from feats, which we use heavily. We've had campaigns end with people having a 16 in their highest ability score because they wanted feats, not ASIs.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I was looking at this, perhaps changing Reckless Attack into a fighting style as an barbarian alternative class feature. The trouble is it becomes way too good on a rogue.
Yeah, it would be good. They could make it a bit different, though, maybe only giving advantage on the first attack, and attacks against you still have advantage, or something like that. I think Brutal Critical would work best as a feat, though.

Ashrym

Legend
Or as I call it just plain human (Seriously, default human is a bland bundle of numbers that just gets in the way of making characters the way I want). When Vhuman is not allowed, I make a half elf and call her a human. It worked for Aragorn, it works for me.

Use dragon-marked humans. They are only restricted to Eberron if the DM won't allow them or in organized play.

Come to think of it... there's no Monk feat either...

Not for ki but the class feature variants unarmed fighting fits.

doctorbadwolf

Do you remove the +1 ASI a lot of feat give? Otherwise, a feat and ASI +1 seems a bit strong.
Nope. If I had trouble challenging the PCs, I might, but IME challenging the PCs is the easiest part of DMing.

5e is very robust. I’ve run games with rolled stats, where some PCs had much higher stats than others, and the game runs fine. Everyone being a little higher isn’t actually a big deal. I also have run games with a 32 point buy, and the only noticeable difference is PCs that are closer to their concept, and less player frustration with the character building system.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
LOL no problem, it was just the only information available. Others might have other sources, but that was mine. ;)

FWIW, I've never met or played at a table in either 3E or 5E that doesn't use both feat and MCing to one point or another. I've heard about tables, but never experienced it myself.
I'm the same, though I may have been playing with people who don't multiclass or use feats as it's not really something that comes up in casual convo. Everywhere I've been they've been options for people to choose to take.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Nope. If I had trouble challenging the PCs, I might, but IME challenging the PCs is the easiest part of DMing.

5e is very robust. I’ve run games with rolled stats, where some PCs had much higher stats than others, and the game runs fine. Everyone being a little higher isn’t actually a big deal. I also have run games with a 32 point buy, and the only noticeable difference is PCs that are closer to their concept, and less player frustration with the character building system.
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things an extra point here or there won't make or break the PC or game. Our table has been discussing moving to a 30-pt buy system with cap 16 for 11 points. If we do, the standard array will become 16, 14, 13, 12, 10 9 IIRC to more match the expected values of 4d6k3.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter to me. I had a load of fun back in 1E playing a Cleric with everything from 9-12! So, he actually had a 5% chance of spell failure LOL! It only came up a couple of times, but man was it entertaining. :D

doctorbadwolf

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things an extra point here or there won't make or break the PC or game. Our table has been discussing moving to a 30-pt buy system with cap 16 for 11 points. If we do, the standard array will become 16, 14, 13, 12, 10 9 IIRC to more match the expected values of 4d6k3.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter to me. I had a load of fun back in 1E playing a Cleric with everything from 9-12! So, he actually had a 5% chance of spell failure LOL! It only came up a couple of times, but man was it entertaining. :D
Yeah we’ve been having a lot more fun this way, tbh. It just opens up the character building process to make whatever we want, without anyone feeling like they’re going to struggle to be effective. (Pretty often, “effective at core competencies” is a big part of the character concept, ya know? 😂)

Remove ads