• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) UA Ranger (Playtest 6)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My min thing against Conjure Barrage/Volley is.

If the ranger is the primal warrior, trained by druids, fey,or just attuned with feral nature...

These 2 spells aren't Primal.

The magic arrows don't from thorns, rock shards, and sand pits in the ground.
You don't shoot them with summer's heat, nature's cold, spring's lightning, or autumn's thunder.

Either rangers learned a mix match of wizard and druid spells to be better monster hunters
OR
ranger attune themselves to nature to be better feral hunters

The 17th level ranger feature should be...

Summon the Green Dragonzord
No. There is no reason to view either spell as arcane. They are specifically Ranger spells. Not every primal spell needs to be a cheesy unique skill from an anime about forest warriors.

Pauln6

Hero
I feel the terrain features should be more general useful.
I.e.

After a long rest, chose one of the following and gain it's benefit until you next long rest. Allies who took the long rest with you also gain a benefit while they are within 200' of you.

Forest: you ignore difficult terrain. You and your allies are not slowed by marching.
Sea: you gain a swim speed. Your allies gain advantage when making swimming checks.
Plains: +5 speed. You and your allies can see up to a mile away.
Mountain: you gain a climb speed. Your allies gain advantage when making climb checks.

Also, just give Rangers expertise in tracking. Any kind, anywhere.
Wait, so Rangers don't get expertise in survival or investigation checks to track/obtain information from tracks?

That feels like a very weird and obvious oversight. I know they stepped away from tracking as a DC based off type of terrain, number of targets, and weather but if someone is using survival or pass without trace to hide tracks it does feel like a Ranger should be able to shine here.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
No. There is no reason to view either spell as arcane. They are specifically Ranger spells. Not every primal spell needs to be a cheesy unique skill from an anime about forest warriors.
Furthermore, Ranger Spells =/= Primal Spells. Rangers have access to the Primal Spell List, but they also have bonus spells specific to the Ranger.

Primal, Arcane, and Divine, are just collections of spells that fit those Power Sources’ shared tropes, to give a shared identity between Druids and Rangers and Primal Bards; between Wizards, Warlocks, Sorcerers, Artificers, Arcane Bards, Eldritch Knights, and Arcane Tricksters; between Clerics, Paladins, Divine Bards, Divine Soul Sorcerers and Celestial Warlocks (and presumably Psionic will join these as a fourth shared spell list).

The shared spell lists have nothing to do with spells that are class-specific.

And they'll be very confused when they get the next round of feedback saying the features are stupid and shallow and shouldn't be there.
100%.

That is the feedback they will get from me, and I daresay from a whole bunch more people than the number who requested terrain stuff - hell, even some of the people who wanted terrain stuff probably regard this approach as quarter-arsed.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I really don’t want the Ranger pushed even harder toward being an archer class rather than having a genuine choice between range and melee
In my mind I had already mentioned that swift quiver should just be swift strike and work for both melee and ranged attacks like they already did with barrage and villi. I 100% agree with you. I just don't think it should be on the primal list because of how it makes full casters much better at martial combat than your martial characters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads