• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) UA Ranger (Playtest 6)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But, again, it was added specifically in response to requests for terrain-specific features. This way, it can feel like terrain-specific features, without actually being reliant on the DM to allow it to work.
So would giving them all of the terrains up front. Same features. Same not being reliant on the DM. No annoying tracking on paper to shift things around in order to get it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So would giving them all of the terrains up front. Same features. Same not being reliant on the DM. No annoying tracking on paper to shift things around in order to get it.
That wouldn’t feel like a terrain-related benefit, because it would just be advantage on all Intelligence (Nature) checks and Wisdom (Survival) checks to track creatures.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That wouldn’t feel like a terrain-related benefit, because it would just be advantage on all Intelligence (Nature) checks and Wisdom (Survival) checks to track creatures.
How is, "I can just choose any terrain any time with a bit of rest." different from "I have this benefit all the time?" A bit of rest doesn't suddenly make it feel like a terrain benefit.

Edit: If you want a terrain benefit that isn't DM reliant, do what was suggested upthread and give some unique benefit to each terrain type.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
How is, "I can just choose any terrain any time with a bit of rest." different from "I have this benefit all the time?" A bit of rest doesn't suddenly make it feel like a terrain benefit.

Edit: If you want a terrain benefit that isn't DM reliant, do what was suggested upthread and give some unique benefit to each terrain type.
It differs depending on whether you're doing a Hex Crawl or a one-biome journey through Mirkwood/The Depths/The Seven Seas/Icewind Dale/the Athasian Deserts… if you're in a Hex Crawl, you might encounter multiple biomes before your LR. If you're not in a Hex Crawl, you're more likely in single-biome regions where it would be several LRs before you need to think about changing out your terrains.

That said, if you're on the Feywild or Shadowfell or in the Outer Planes, biomes might change rapidly around you due to the influence of the minds and emotions of the beings that inhabit those places. So the Ranger may face all sorts of new challenges when travelling on a planar level. And if you're teleported against your will by the BBEG from Chult (you chose Coast and Forest) to the middle of Icewind Dale, now you may not really have time for a LR and have terrain choices that don't help you in this situation.

Charlaquin

Because you have to make the choice of what terrain it will apply to. Yes, you can change that choice by resting, but the act of making that choice forms an association between that terrain and the benefit you get in it. Is that dumb? Yes, but so are our brains.

Stalker0

Legend
Sure but it would be a nice little ability. which to me is the greater point, I don't need a ranger who is super specialized in forests for some reason....I want a ranger who is good in nature and good at tracking. If the mechanics do this....then mission accomplished.

mellored

Legend
I feel the terrain features should be more general useful.
I.e.

After a long rest, chose one of the following and gain it's benefit until you next long rest. Allies who took the long rest with you also gain a benefit while they are within 200' of you.

Forest: you ignore difficult terrain. You and your allies are not slowed by marching.
Sea: you gain a swim speed. Your allies gain advantage when making swimming checks.
Plains: +5 speed. You and your allies can see up to a mile away.
Mountain: you gain a climb speed. Your allies gain advantage when making climb checks.

Also, just give Rangers expertise in tracking. Any kind, anywhere.

Charlaquin

Sure but it would be a nice little ability. which to me is the greater point, I don't need a ranger who is super specialized in forests for some reason....I want a ranger who is good in nature and good at tracking. If the mechanics do this....then mission accomplished.
Ok, but the developer comments explicitly said they added it because they had gotten a lot of feedback requesting terrain-specific features.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I feel the terrain features should be more general useful.
I.e.

After a long rest, chose one of the following and gain it's benefit until you next long rest. Allies who took the long rest with you also gain a benefit while they are within 200' of you.

Forest: you ignore difficult terrain. You and your allies are not slowed by marching.
Sea: you gain a swim speed. Your allies gain advantage when making swimming checks.
Plains: +5 speed. You and your allies can see up to a mile away.
Mountain: you gain a climb speed. Your allies gain advantage when making climb checks.

Also, just give Rangers expertise in tracking. Any kind, anywhere.
This would be MUCH better.

I still think switching terrain, weapon masteries and druid forms should all not be tied to long rests.

I think this would be the exact place where I'd write downtime activities into the core rules for players.

Want to swich key parts of your class:
Take a 1 week downtime activity to adapt to a new situation. Having everything that flexible is a bit too much for me.

Last edited:

Remove ads