• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) UA Ranger (Playtest 6)

Chaosmancer

Legend
I did miss that Conjure Barrage and Volley allowed you to avoid friendly fire. With that in mind, they are probably doing adequate damage for their slot.

mellored

Legend
what else did we gain at 17th level instead of Conjure Volley?
At 17 you get 5th level spells and a bonus know spell.

Consider cleric 18 is only a 5th level slot, it's not doing that badly.

I still think upgrading Conjure Barrage would be more fun than having 2 nearly identical spells. But this is still far better than the 2014 ranger.

And if this is just a "spells prepared" list... why not just go full paladin with it and gives us a low-level ability at Favored Enemy that gives us Hunter's Mark, Pass Without Trace, Conjure Barrage, Locate Creature, Conjure Volley instead of making it appear like these are class features?
I prefer to have locate creature on the druid list.

Vael

Legend
There is the fighting style in Tasha's that grants two cantrips, and so if they brought that one into the PHB it'd be an interesting choice.

I dunno, this Ranger seems fine. Lost cantrips and Concentration on Hunter's Mark, but gained Weapon Mastery and Wis mod free casts of HM. Deft Explorer seems fine, the ability to change out one environment on a Long Rest means that the Ranger shouldn't really ever feel like they picked the wrong ones. They lost the "No Evocation" restriction, so complete access to the Primal spell list now.

Foe Slayer seems better, but I'm in the camp of "put the capstones at 18th, not 20th" because I'd like to actually play with them in the unlikely event I ever adventure past level 10.

Last edited:

There is the fighting style in Tasha's that grants two cantrips, and so if they brought that one into the PHB it'd be an interesting choice.
It's funny, that because they didn't include it in this one, it's very possible that come 2024, we'd still have to plug holes in classes by using Tasha.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My min thing against Conjure Barrage/Volley is.

If the ranger is the primal warrior, trained by druids, fey,or just attuned with feral nature...

These 2 spells aren't Primal.

The magic arrows don't from thorns, rock shards, and sand pits in the ground.
You don't shoot them with summer's heat, nature's cold, spring's lightning, or autumn's thunder.

Either rangers learned a mix match of wizard and druid spells to be better monster hunters
OR
ranger attune themselves to nature to be better feral hunters

The 17th level ranger feature should be...

Summon the Green Dragonzord

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads