• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Uncertain about composite functions.

Kaledor

First Post
I hate writing out complicated rational equations in in-line text. Switching to the exponential notation was a quick method of trying to simplify it a bit.

I have posted math texts on a different messageboard and it was such a shock to use "in-line text" for the first time --it seems like such a struggle to describe what should be an easy problem... there's ()'s everywhere, exponents in the wrong spot, you miss a fraction bar and it's destroyed... ugg. Something like Addition of rational functions, that's a pure beast in-line. lol You take for granted how nice and easy it is to write out math problems on paper.

That said, you want a real challenge: Try reading math and science texts out loud for tape lol. Back in my undergrad (before computers had fancy and reliable Optical Character Recognition software) I helped out translating textbooks to audio tapes for visually and reading impared students (long story that started with a girl that hooked me in :)). Now THAT was some tough stuff. It made it a bit easier when you knew what you were reading, but every so often I'd hit technical print that I'd have to just describe...
"The formula starts with a... a... a squiggle, kinda J-shaped, maybe a q? yeah... ummm, followed by a little (I think it's a smiley face)...."

I can only imagine what the person listening to this must've thought. I HOPE they had another reference in those days.

Last edited:

Remove ads