Unconverted Polyhedron creatures

Garnfellow

Explorer
Echohawk said:
Garnfellow, if you could check issues #19 and #34, that would be very helpful. Other than those two (plus #87 and #100) I either have each issue, or the issue is in the post on its way to me. I know there are a few omissions in the above list, but I am updating it each time I track down another Polyhedron.

I definitely have 19 somewhere in the vault, but the Acaeum's description of issue 34 doesn't ring any bells (http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/periodicals/polyhedron.html).

There's another monster I know of from either 16, 17, 18, or 19 -- Bob Blake's version of a bloody bones undead.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I haven't checked 16, 17 or 18 yet, but I will once they arrive. And I'm sure 34 will eventually show up on eBay...

Garnfellow

Explorer
I went through a cache of Polyhedrons in the 20s and 30s. Turns out I do have issue 34 -- no new monsters in there.

Issue 30, Jeff Grubb's "The Ravager [Part I]" adventure has a ghast-lord, a variant ghast. (8 HD, clerical spellcasting.) The second part of the adventure in issue 31 has composite mummies -- variant mummies with the heads of Egyptian-type animals. That adventure also has something called a tymphanix, native of the Elemental Plane of Earth. Never heard of this one before, so I'm not sure if it's new or not.

Garnfellow

Explorer
I found and checked my cache of issues 1-23, though issues 15 and 16 were missing. Man, I've got to get my magazines organized.

Anyway, I found a few more critters:

Issue 2: gagertral, in Jean Wells' "How to Create Monsters for the D&D Basic and Expert Games."

Issue 18: bloody bones (master and minion), in Bob Blake's "Llywelyn's Tomb"

Issue 19: viper vines, in Bob Blake's "And the Gods will Have their Way"

Issue 21: ices, in James M. Ward's "Encounters"

Issue 22: men - amazons, in Gary Gygax's "Marlgoyles [sic] and Monster Manual II."

(Also worthy of note -- this issue features Zeb Cook's module "In the Dark Hours [part 1]," which has several interesting bits of demon lore, include an artifact "The Crown of Juiblex" and mentions a demon named Emix, "a favored demon in Juiblex's guard.")

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Garnfellow, please could you check on which page in issue #19 the viper vines appear? And do you know if those are the same viper vines that later appeared in Bane of Llewellyn (C5) or the Monstrous Compendium Forgotten Realms Appendix (MC11)?

Garnfellow

Explorer
Echohawk said:
Garnfellow, please could you check on which page in issue #19 the viper vines appear? And do you know if those are the same viper vines that later appeared in Bane of Llewellyn (C5) or the Monstrous Compendium Forgotten Realms Appendix (MC11)?

I believe it was on page 19 -- the last inside page of the module.

I have no idea where my copy of C5 is (again, I really need to get organized), but I am pretty confident this is the same monster that's in Polyhedron 19 -- it's the same author, after all.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I've added the composite mummies, ghast-lord, ices and tymphanix to the unconverted list, as well as the bole-skeleton, bole-wight, bole-zombie, dreamweaver and semi-lich.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Garnfellow said:
And Dave Cook had one with eveyone's favorite demon prince of slime.

i was just thinking today that if we got the chance to do something Demonomicon-like for the DI, that he would be a fun one to tackle...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases