Underused Monsters

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Not cannibal. They very seldom eat other halflings. Humans on the other hand... :)

Although I did use a pack of ghoulish halflings once I'm not really convinced you get anything out of cannibal halflings that you can't get from goblins? (goblins have pretty much replaced halflings IMC)
I also use Kenku extensively and they really ought to be a core race:)
I remember a few adventures with Lizardfolk (*albeit all low level) so I don't know if they are underused

oh and were-sharks are Hawaiian and thus naturally cool

Staffan

Legend
Not cannibal. They very seldom eat other halflings. Humans on the other hand... :) Another little detail is that they prefer the meat of their enemies raw when they eat it.
Right. Seems it's only us Swedes who can keep track of the difference between cannibal and man-eating.

Pale Master

First Post
Has anybody ever used ethergaunts? I love those guys.

Also, vampiric illithids. "You got your brains in my blood!" "You got your blood in my brains!"

Vahktang

First Post
Cloakers work great.
But get them out of the dungeon.
Put multiples flying around, have them mirror image up before hand, very dangerous to a camp.

Miyaa

First Post
Well, these aren't ones I feel particularly inclined to use in my games, but it strikes me that all of the monsters in this article are underrepresented: Dungeons & Dragons: Celebrating Thirty Years of Very Stupid Monsters.

EDIT: And it seems that article now has a Part Two. Huzzah!

Oh my god. That is so hilarious. (So that's what they mean by the "Duck Bunny." EGG must have been on an ale high when he made that creature.)

I think Mimics are underused. I had a DM use a very large mimic as a twist on the dreaded Gazebo concept. (I love the Raggamoffyn he rails against. I thought it was rather clever.)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Woo hoo! And it mentions no less than four of my monsters (worry wart, skull rider, spider-horse, and sea cow). I am honored and humbled beyond words.

Johnathan

It's worth noting that he made a minor mistake in regards to one of them. He briefly talks about the skullrider (one word, not two), and notes that it was repeated fifteen years later.

However, that's not exactly the case. The second picture is actually that of a monster called the gray shiver. It was written by Nicholas Hudson, and printed in Dragon #343, in May of 2006 (which makes it only twelve years and seven months after the skullrider premiered in October of 1993, in the pages of Dragon #198).

My geek-fu is strong! :D

Remove ads