Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Another New Ranger Variant

*Deleted by user*

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The assassination part we were discussing is. Other rogues don't get another round of auto crits on those attacks.

This ability doesn't provide for surprise. Assassins only get a crit on surprise. So sure, if you can surprise, it becomes more powerful. It's still difficult to get surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scorpio616

First Post
Thus far every single UA article they've released with player options for playtesting has been defined as "the worst thing they've done" by somebody.
None of the other stuff gave the best HD {& doubling Con value from HD healing] and an extra attack action each fight from first level.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Not necessarily. Now, I admit that the "protector of the wood" fits more with a druid than a ranger, but for me, a core inspiration of the ranger is the mountainman. I grew up in Alaska and eastern Oregon, so growing up in the woods in a hunter/tracker culture is what I know. And I can promise you, that culture was very big on protecting the woodlands and nature. In fact, it was a very common gripe to hear complaints about cityfolk coming into the woods to shoot the first animal they see, or to leave garbage everywhere. So in that regard, living in harmony with nature and protecting it against the encroachment of civilization does fit with the ranger.

The original theme is less on harmony and more being the border. Ranger keeps the the wild and civilized separated and they themselves are part of neither. Rangers originally boxes some of the wilderness in the nose, asks some of it for help and outright avoids the rest.

Rangers don't protect nature for natures sake. Rangers do it because encroachment of either side makes the job harder. "if you build a castle near owlbears, the bears will eat you and that's a lot of paperwork."

Forged Fury

First Post
I am unclear on this focus on low levels, and only having 5 levels as well.
I believe there is a Mearls interview out there where he talks about only doing 5 levels of these classes because they don't want to spend the time developing a full 20-level class if people don't like the direction it is going. Putting up 5 levels lets people get a feel for the direction they are going and typically covers a lot of the bread-and-butter that a class will use to make sure it's balanced.

Ristamar

Adventurer
For something truly weird, how about: 1d10 HPs/Level, but 2d6 Hit Dice per level. Keeps the feel that they recover quickly, but doesn't place them competing with barbarians with raw HP.

Interesting idea though I'd be more inclined to keep it simple and give them +1 hp per any HD spent on a short rest.

Azurewraith

Explorer
As a ranger fan im not a fan. The HD don't bother me the spirit companion rubs me the wrong way id much rather have a physical companion that just successfully hit stuff without hogging my action.I feel like this iteration is missing wilderness lore ala poultices and anti-venom etc.

Creating a hybrid of this and the spellless ranger to me would be a good move in my eyes add in a physical companion to all rangers just let Bms do it better(bigger animal more hit die extra attacks etc) remove the needing to command them its a single word command ffs.

Also i agree that this is rushed so many errors it just looks unprofessional.

Roger

First Post
All I really want to do is see a party of rangers in action, when they all Hide in the new 2016 Chevrolet Ambuscade. The orcs will be confused.

"Thogg hear battle music, feel self roll initiative. But why?"

This ability doesn't provide for surprise. Assassins only get a crit on surprise. So sure, if you can surprise, it becomes more powerful. It's still difficult to get surprise.

It provides the ability to go first, regardless of your rolled initiative. Even without surprise, Assassins get advantage vs targets that havent acted. Plus, even if your DM is ruling surprise in the alt way discussed in this thread, you still get your assassinate strike even if they beat your initiative.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...3&p=6694916&highlight=assassinate#post6694916

IMX, surprise isnt that hard to get if you work a bit.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Why oh why can't they stop doubling down on magical powers for martial classes??? T_T

The "first strike" ability is cool.
The stealth ability sounds like something a rogue should be able to do. You want a skirmisher, taking Mobility and giving them a high movement rate and the ability to ignore difficult terrain works better than "you can't see me, nyah nyah"
The spirit companion should for ONE subclass, not all of them.

So overall... pretty disappointed in this effort. I want a mundane ranger chassis that showcases their core ability as a hunter/stalker, and subclasses for the spellcasting ranger and beastmaster/spirit bond ranger.

Remove ads

Remove ads