Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Another New Ranger Variant

*Deleted by user*

Staccat0

First Post
You know... the 2d6 thing is silly. I also think 1d12 seems silly... but just giving the Ranger bonus hit die would be kinda cool and would keep the "survivor" aspect.

Like @ level 3 you have 4 d10 HD instead of 3... that'd be cool.

The super-ninja initiative is also pretty silly.

I can get into the forest spirit stuff too, though I'll admit that I always imagine Rangers as a completely martial class in my head. For what it's worth, one of my players is a Ranger with Collossus Slayer and he seems to be on par with the others and is having a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm not sure why they moved away from the horde-breaker/giant-slayer decision point being cast as favored enemy like it was in the playtest. That seemed like a great solution to me.

They are still there, under the Hunter subclass.

Basically what happened is that favored enemies (in terms of broad categories) are no more a feature for all Rangers but only for Hunters. What is still called "favored enemy" is effectively a minor benefit common to all subclasses. The move is similar to what was done for Druids' wildshape, the common version being of lesser use than the Circle of the Moon combat version.

At some point during the playtest there were multiple subclasses, one for each broad favored enemy category. Then they figured out that they could all be merged into one subclass, and let you pick your preferred benefit at each level the subclass gives you one. Same principle as the Totem Barbarian (can mix benefits from different animals) and the elemental Monk subclass (can mix benefits from different elements). It looks like we lost additional subclasses, but in reality we have gained more flexibility and freedom of choice.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Not sure why you say that. You're essentially getting an action surge at the beginning of every single combat. Getting 4 attacks in the first round of every fight is huge at 5th level. TWF or pole arm master gets six attacks in the first round of every fight.

Never minding getting twice the movement as well.

Huge power up for melee types who are now pretty much guaranteed to get into melee combat in the first round and still make attacks.

Because you get all them opportunity attacks up your butt trying to run up to "a good target" in the beginning of battle when all the enemy in is formation.

Or are you going to just attack the first enemy. Great. You attacks a frontline orc 4 times. Enjoy the greataxe to the face if you don't drop him.

The ability to choice when you action surge is big. Automatic 1st turn surges require special tactics to no be wasted.

Turn 1 action points in 4e tended to be turn 3 second winds at my table.

Or "(THE DM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds.)".

If they had just let the Beastmaster pet be a wolf, puma, hawk or anything else the DM feels is appropriate, in the same way that Summon Steed works, we would be in a lot better place.

The DM can easily crate a CR 1/4 beast for the ranger to use. Make a CR 1/4 bear club or spider or puma and POOF!

Last edited by a moderator:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I'll triple down. In cake form.

The d&d ranger has always been a triple layer cake of two different cake layers and an ice cream layer with chocolate icing.

The claim is that this 3 layer cake, icecream, cake, chocolate icing isn't special enough and thus needs to be fixed

This new ranger is a two layer cake with lemon icing.

A true fan of the ranger cake would not make a new type of cake. They wouldn't be saying these things. They'd be improving the options and strength of the cake/icecream/cake/chocicing cake.

That's one way of looking at it - if one is so inclined. I tend to think that if the designers weren't True Fans of Rangers, they would be saying "Let them eat cake!"

Instead, they are putting a lot of work into trying to make the perfect cake - with this their third try!!!

In my opinion, their failure is not indicative of a lack of fandom.:hmm:

pemerton

Legend
I really don´t like features that say: "no matter what the other one does, you are invisible +"
But that's not quite what this feature does, is it?

It's like some of the rogue utilities in 4e - if you start the turn hidden, it lets you maintain that status against one target until the end of your turn, and try to rehide as a bonus action.

You are not invisible from anyone on their turn - so it either gives you advantage (if you choose to remain hidden from your target) and/or lets you avoid OAs (if you choose to remain hidden from someone you need to move past/away from), provided that you already started the turn hidden. But it doesn't protect you against retaliation on your own turn, unless you actually get off your bonus rehide.

For a melee skirmisher, you're not likely to get prolonged benefits from it, as you probably can't hide once you're in melee. If you're an archer, then it lets you shoot from cover and then regain your hidden status, but that's no better than a rogue.

I think there are legitimate questions about why this is a ranger rather than a rogue ability, but I don't think it's necessarily broken.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That's one way of looking at it - if one is so inclined. I tend to think that if the designers weren't True Fans of Rangers, they would be saying "Let them eat cake!"

Instead, they are putting a lot of work into trying to make the perfect cake - with this their third try!!!

In my opinion, their failure is not indicative of a lack of fandom.:hmm:

My issue is "fandom of which rangerr?"

I doubt doubt their fandom of the ranger class. I don't see their fandom of the "D&D ranger" in the PHB and UA ranger.
I see it in the fluff and flavor they write on the ranger sometimes. But then they give you something else or a diluted version of it.

They say they like chocolate ice cream cake then give you chocolate pie ala mode or chocolate ice cream with yellow cake.

The nature, survivalist, tracker, mystic, and warrior boxes were checked. However the organization and sizing were off. And that leads to dissatisfaction. I'm just speculating based on the observable evidence.

They are still there, under the Hunter subclass.

Basically what happened is that favored enemies (in terms of broad categories) are no more a feature for all Rangers but only for Hunters. What is still called "favored enemy" is effectively a minor benefit common to all subclasses. The move is similar to what was done for Druids' wildshape, the common version being of lesser use than the Circle of the Moon combat version.

At some point during the playtest there were multiple subclasses, one for each broad favored enemy category. Then they figured out that they could all be merged into one subclass, and let you pick your preferred benefit at each level the subclass gives you one. Same principle as the Totem Barbarian (can mix benefits from different animals) and the elemental Monk subclass (can mix benefits from different elements). It looks like we lost additional subclasses, but in reality we have gained more flexibility and freedom of choice.

I didn't say "where did these choices go" I lamented that they changed the name away from favored enemy. I know they are still there. I thought it was brilliant that your favored enemy informed your fighting style instead of giving bland bonuses to a particular enemy.

Mephista

Adventurer
It doesn't do any of that. It's a single attack or hide action, no move, no bonus action. It has no decent combo with Assassin, as it's not a surprise round.
That's not what it says. Full turn with an Action limited to Attack or Hide. So, yes, you get a move, an Action, and a bonus action.

It may not allow you to generate a surprise action, but if you naturally get a surprise round for being sneaky (because, you know, both classes are sneaky)? Two attacks with surprise is better than one; they're different turns, so sneak attack applies to both. Plus, the Assassin gets bonuses against creatures that just haven't acted yet. The synergy is there, and its huge for a one level dip.

cmad1977

Hero
What level is he?

The ranger is okay as a class, but seems to run out of steam compared to other classes at mid- to high level.

Talking about the hunter ranger of course.

I think he's... 7th level. Uses a long sword with 2 hands or with shield. Think he's got 'colossus slayer' so whenever an enemy is even nicked a little his damage spikes.
But again it might be a synergy thing, ranger/rogue/sorcerer/Druid/monk party seems solid. Lots of sneaky abilities.

Remove ads

Remove ads