Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Barbarian and Monk

Unearthed Arcana makes an unexpected return (the last one was back in May) with a three-page PDF containing two subclasses -- Path of the Wild Soul for the barbarian, and Way of the Astral Self for the monk.

Unearthed Arcana makes an unexpected return (the last one was back in May) with a three-page PDF containing two subclasses -- Path of the Wild Soul for the barbarian, and Way of the Astral Self for the monk.

Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 20.27.07.png

lkj

Hero
Not to belittle the setting by any means, but Eberron has always given me an Anime vibe (in a good way). Very Full Metal Alchemist.e

Oh, I definitely don't have any objection to Anime in general (though my games don't lean that direction). But the more I think about some of the characters in those shows and how they burst with their special powers, the less odd that a Barbarian chassis seems to me.

I will admit, that like @lowkey13 my initial thought was that the 1e barbarian must be spinning in his grave (as the magic-hating magic-item destroying fellow). But that was mostly just funny to me.

The idea of barbarian rages being 'bursts of magical power' is kind of growing on me. But the key will be a very good flavor text intro that makes it clear that these barbarians are special sauce. (Though, heck, it's not like spirit totem barbarians aren't this way already).

AD

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sometimes it feels like they just create subclasses just to cover every possible combination of fluff/lore and mechanics. Reminds me when you started seeing CHA based fighters.

"Well, we know STR and DEX can impact the ability for a fighter to be effective in combat because those tie together in a logical way. But that's not enough. We should have fighters where they add their CHA bonus to hit and damage because good looks and witty words make sharper blades or something! And one where they add WIS bonus! And one where they add INT bonus! Because reasons!"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sometimes it feels like they just create subclasses just to cover every possible combination of fluff/lore and mechanics. Reminds me when you started seeing CHA based fighters.

"Well, we know STR and DEX can impact the ability for a fighter to be effective in combat because those tie together in a logical way. But that's not enough. We should have fighters where they add their CHA bonus to hit and damage because good looks and witty words make sharper blades or something! And one where they add WIS bonus! And one where they add INT bonus! Because reasons!"

Well...have to put something in books. I'm just glad it has been as slow and steady as it is.

Personally I'm really into that Barbarian's mechanics, although the Feywild flavor doesn't fit well. It seems more like a fit for Limbo or the Elemental Chaos.

I will say that they should try converting some 4E Paragon Path concepts (Wild Runner for the Barbarian that's gotta go fast), but I appreciate that they're experimenting.

Last edited:

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Unearthed Arcana: continuing the tradition of filling conceptual niches that didn't need filling.

Next month: the Peanut Summoner (Fighter) and the Shampoo Eater (Druid).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Personally I'm really into that Barbarian's mechanics, although the Feywild flavor doesn't fit well. It seems more like a fit for Limbo or the Elemental Chaos.

I will say that they should try converting some 4E Paragon Path concepts, but I appreciate that they're experimenting.

It would fit well with Lamannia, a Feywild adjacent plane in Eberron where Lycanthropes come from.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The Astral Monk.

Cool concept. It has some nice flavor and interesting features, and it doesn't seem too OP. I can easily see a Githzerai Monk with this tradition.

Seems mostly fine - except the 17th level Kin consumption - Did no one else think - TIme to pull out the old bag of rats!

Granted it's 17th level - but that's a lot of potential Ki!

They don't feel like something I'd associate with Eberron. Though the most obvious subclasses such as Inquisitive Rogue and the Celestial (Silver Flame) Warlock have already been published. These classes could be linked to another MtG setting too.

Remove ads

Remove ads