D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Draconic Options

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair)...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair).

Harness the power of dragons in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! This playtest document presents race, feat, and spell options related to dragons in Dungeons & Dragons.

First is a trio of draconic race options presented as an alternative to the dragonborn race in the Player’s Handbook, as well as a fresh look at the kobold race. Then comes a handful of feat options that reflect a connection to draconic power. Finally, an assortment of spells—many of them bearing the names of famous or infamous dragons—offer a variety of approaches to manifesting dragon magic.

2C0B9D44-8EE0-44C5-ABCA-8ABCA08DF322.jpeg

lkj

Hero
Well, this is clearly a call to a future Dragonlance book, with the names of the spells.
Seems likely. Though I did notice that other spells were named after what, I think, are FR potentates. Though that could easily just be a shroud (the way 'alternate dragonborn' might be a shroud for 'draconian'). Anyway, interesting!

AD

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I'd guess that they're just including Fizban's name in a more generic Draconomicon--after all, they've included lots of spells with Grehawk names and haven't put out a Greyhawk worldbook.

Do gem dragons even exist in Dragonlance?
not to my knowledge, but the gems were never really important in most settings.

(Seriously, his scimitars are named Twinkle and Icingdeath)
SMDH as they say. I know this, but every time I hear I just go "goddamn Drizzt, what the hell?". Seriously, if My Little Ponies had swords, they'd have cooler names than those. Twinkle? I mean jesus dude. How was this guy ever cool? He's the Cliff Richard of Drow (that's one for the Brits on here! Also I dunno the US equivalent to Cliff Richard - The Osmonds maybe? I think The Osmonds might be too cool though, they had at least one song that didn't suck).

Remove ads

Remove ads