D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Drakewarden and Way of the Ascendant Dragon

We have a new UA available today, this time showcasing new monk and ranger dragon-themed subclasses, in the Way of the Ascendant Dragon and the Drakewarden, respectively. Interesting to note that these are both dragon adjacent subclasses. Is this foreshadowing for an upcoming product? Or just coincidence?

We have a new UA available today, this time showcasing new monk and ranger dragon-themed subclasses, in the Way of the Ascendant Dragon and the Drakewarden, respectively.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.38.50 PM.png

Interesting to note that these are both dragon adjacent subclasses. Is this foreshadowing for an upcoming product? Or just coincidence?

shadowoflameth

Adventurer

Way of the Ascendant Dragon Monk​

IMHO Yes, likely connected to a dragon god. But not necessarily. Either way, lots of opportunity for role play.

Draconic Discipline: I like the idea of the damage type but my suggestion would be give the monk claws, and to have the claws do the damage type. and make the damage type additional and based on a chosen type of dragon. The Draconic Language is fine, and thematically makes sense. Maybe add a dragoncraft skill.

I think that the intimidation would do better and slow play less as a 1/encounter frightful presence. MAD but that's not terrible for a secondary ability. I would also give the optional rule that this monk qualifies as a dragon or dragonborn for racial feats, item use and the like.

Breath of the Dragon: I like it, but to keep up with Monk abilities, I say use ki points for the dice.

Wings Unfurled: I think it makes sense to give the monk a limited fly speed or a bonus to fly speed by spending ki points.

Aspect of the Wyrm: I would just go with a straight damage aura that requires ki to maintain.

Ascendant Aspect: Blindsight is fine and makes sense. I would do 10' like the half dragon. ongoing damage on your breath weapon say 1 point per die of damage would be nice and works for me.

Last month we had two goth subclasses, and it was "oh, we are getting a Ravenloft book", now we have two dragon themed classes and it is "we are getting a Draconmicon book".

We are about to get Tasha's. There isn't going to be another splat book for three years/6e. We know there are only setting books and adventures coming in 2021. These subclasses are just being put out together because they have a related theme. They are not intended for any specific publication, they are just being put out to entertain fans, and so WotC has something in hand when the need a bit of extra crunch to pad something out.
I'm not sure of your reasoning behind the whole "three years" thing, when the last player expansion book (Xanathar's) was followed six months later (Nov '17 - May '18) by a monster-themed book (Mordenkainen's). While we can't be sure it will happen again, there's definitely no reason that I can see to outright dismiss the possibility either. The only difference would be that this monster-themed book would have some subclasses, which would be a new feature for that line, but that would hardly be a revolutionary addition...

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Way of the Ascendant Dragon - I like that the Monk isn't tied to a specific dragon. In this way, he's channeling the concept of dragon's rather than taking on some sort of mutation or change based on a specific type of dragon. The dragon breath ability is fairly okay, damage might be a little meh at some point. I like that you can spend ki to keep using the feature. It might also make sense to use ki to get extra martial arts dice on the roll. Wings Unfurled being use-limited outside of the ki you're already spending on Step of the Wind seems odd to me. I'd probably just have it as an add-on whenever you use that feature. Aspect of the Wyrm is interesting, somehow I was expecting a fear effect instead of an area damage effect. Same on the capstone, was somehow expecting a fear effect in there. Overall, I'm fine with this subclass, but I'd like some consistency on the use-limiting.

The Drakewarden is fine but not my cup of tea. I'd like the reaction to also scale up in damage when the bite does.

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
Well we are supposedly getting three classic settings, Council of Wyrms? The PCs were dragons but had non-dragon servants. A Dragonconicon or Dragonlance is more likely.

Kannik

Hero
I'm really liking how they designed the Way of the Ascendant Dragon, especially how they did the Breath of the Dragon feature to be part of the regular Attack action (replacing one attack) so that you don't lose your bonus action martial arts attacks (or Flurry of Blows) and you can double up on it by using it twice in a row if you have the attacks to do so. (By the wording I think they don't intend to allow it to be used as part of the bonus action attacks, but I'd probably allow it if you want to burn the uses) Plus, you get X uses and add on more with Ki points.

All in all it's a nice rider, essentially giving the monk an AoE attack without having to do the mental calculations to see if giving up their entire attack sequence for a single AoE is worth it while also keeping in line with a monkish feel of rapid fire attacks. :)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm not sure of your reasoning behind the whole "three years" thing, when the last player expansion book (Xanathar's) was followed six months later (Nov '17 - May '18) by a monster-themed book (Mordenkainen's). While we can't be sure it will happen again, there's definitely no reason that I can see to outright dismiss the possibility either. The only difference would be that this monster-themed book would have some subclasses, which would be a new feature for that line, but that would hardly be a revolutionary addition...
Or setting books.

Remove ads

Remove ads